Anyone ever heard of Won-Z - one piece weather gear?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Brandon82, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    If this has already been posted somewhere, feel free to point me in the right direction but I came across this Won-Z (a one piece wet riding suit) in a YouTube video and did a quick google search to find it, just curious if anyone has any experience with it and how it stood up.

http://www.jacksonracing.com.au/WON-Z.htm

https://youtu.be/CjoKPm4kCi8

2. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nope. $487 (delivered) is a lot for a rainsuit, though...

Ciao,

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    That's $650 Australian dollars delivered.
    Shit!!!
    That is a lot of money for a suit I might only use a couple of times a year.
    It might make sense in the UK where you might not need it a couple of times a year.

4. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    Yeah, I'd never heard of it and just stumbled across it. The concept seemed interesting to me and sounded like it would be more effective than a waterproof jacket and pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Oh, it does look superb. If I didn't need to consider money I wouldn't think twice.

Ciao,

6. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    If you're wondering about wet weather riding gear and live in Chilliwack, maybe check with member 34468Randy. He also lives in Chilliwack and with over 200K on his 2006 VFR he might have a few good suggestions for staying dry on Canadas Wet coast.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Beat me to it! Definitely has some opinions based on experience. Somewhere on the forum is a thread about his dealings with one clothing company. Let's say their version of "waterproof" was a hell of a lot different than his or any other rider for that matter!

8. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    Lol....for sure! Randy and I met in person last year and talked about riding together, never made it happen unfortunately. I'm sure there'll be another opportunity this year and I know he's got a pretty good system for wet weather riding. I found another thread where he broke down what he uses and found it very informative.

9. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    Before I knew how to spell it, I was trying to figure out how they would market anything called a "onesie" to a motorcycle demographic!

10. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I met Randy quite a few years ago through the site and though we had lunch in Kelowna numerous times, I made my first "ride" with him last year while member "Oh!_Anne.Marie" was on her West coast pilgrimage. LOL. Anne Marie also had a great deal of experience this last year riding in the rain, snow, freezing temps and she might be able to share some good pointers as well. I think she got rained on for the first 10 days straight once she started her trip.

11. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    I think we're all jealous of the epic adventures that Anne Marie posts here! I primarily ride to commute but Kelowna has become my annual day ride trip usually during a summer weekend when I have no home ties holding me back - it'd be great to meet up if you're in town!

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I certainly do. When it rains, take a bus!. JK of course.

First though, understand, as they point out, this is a single purpose suit. No safety other than the hiviz aspect.. To be worn over proper gear.

I have tried on a few one piece rain suits and every one that I tried was extremely difficult to get on over my gear. So. I ended up going to the two piece which gave you the option of just the jacket or both the jacket and high bibbed trousers. I think mine are Teknik. They work great as far as I am concerned. But over time and tens of thousands of KM at highway speeds, the outer nylon tends to separate form the inner plastic or rubber. But hey. Nothing lasts forever and for what I paid for them, something in the neighbourhood of $120.00 CDN, they were well worth the expense.

But having looked at those videos, two things that impressed me was the side leg zippers and the sleeve cuff zippers that makes it easy to get in and out of. Also, those zippers are the rubber backed weather resistant type that do work very well at keeping water at bay. The suit I have has every day zippers with dome fastener storm flap. These work but add to its bulkiness as does the bib trousers. So I think that is where you see the additional expense come in play.

I know people will chime in with their choice of suits that to their experience proves to be a good waterproof garment. I have not experienced that result on any of the suits I have had regardless of the companies claims to guarantee they are water proof. Of them all, I have had an absolute horrible experience with Tourmaster which is also labelled Cortech. I would never touch bases with that company even to call them asshole face to face.

Back to the suit at hand. From what I see in those two videos, I am impressed. I am in need of a new rain suit and will seriously look at this one. At north of $300.00, yes it is pricey, but I look at the ease of getting it on and off fast, those great zippers and their placement, and the 2 year warranty. I think it is a good buy.

Depending how much you ride, and of course how well you look after things, (I suspect you are good at that. We have had Timmies a while ago) you should get many years of good service out of this suit.

13. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

I agree the suit looks nice, and a seal of approval based on your experience goes a long way. Thing is in the video the guy claims to have spent 36 months creating and testing, at no doubt a great expense for each prototype. i agree that his creation is probably one of the best for motorcycle rainwear.
    But , i feel somewhere some one (dont know who) is wanting too big of a slice of the pie, at $486 dollars a suit that couldn't cost more than $150 a piece for the manufacturer to build say 500 of these. even $7500 per run of 500 seems a generous estimate.
    i believe if this guy wants to get his product to the masses he needs to travel and demonstrate his idea to various companies who have the clout to mass produce and market it. this would also be the best way for him to see a monetary return on his investment of time and money, by selling his patents to an interested company he could get a bigger chunk and faster, than he could ever hope to make selling a few here and there.
    of course if he didnt care about his riding brethern he could go the info-mercial route.
    they would redesign his product to be made for a few dollars a suit, totally killing any real weather protection in the process, then market it on TV for 4 easy payments of $39.99 and $30 shipping .
    Even offer a second suite for free (just pay shipping) lol gotta love info-mercials
    i bought the kids Magic Tracks recently as the first and only purchase from this style of marketing. ended up costing me $45 for 2 not 4 of the little battery powered cars (their prety awesome as they have the power to wheelie out if the track gets steep, even with half charged batteries. the track is cool and i ended up with like 5meters of its multi color glow in the dark goodness. but i had to say no three times each to about 5 upgrade offers and was on the phone nearly 30mins in the process. godd thing my salesman cut it short and rushed through the last few things or i would have hung up and told them to forget it.

14. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    I was wondering if they had a distributor in North America but didn't see one so I assume no. Our annual bike show is next weekend, thought I might ask around there and see if anyone has heard of it.

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Free motorcycle parking for those who brave the weather. If I go this year, it will likely be the first time I have had to pay for parking. If there was no ice on the roads though, I would ride.

A side note to this. Two years ago at the Motorcycle Show at the Tradex, I checked my gear at the entrance and paid more for the donation for the check than I would likely have paid for parking. But that is fine. It was going to some charitable society or organization. What is not fine is the people running the coat check not having a clue how to handle a bikers gear. The old lady handling my helmet probably bumped the helmet four or five times on counters and steel shelving just getting it from the front counter to its storage spot.

16. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    Yeah, we usually go and the family likes attending as well so it's difficult (not impossible mind you :) ) to transport the wife and 2 kids on a bike. Actually a quick side note - 2 years ago as we were leaving, a guy dumped his fancy touring bike with his lady on the back as he was pulling out of the show. I realize it's happened to most of us at one point or another but goodness me, of all places, dumping it in front of a crowd of bike enthusiasts would be one of the worst place I could think of to have that happen!

17. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Be happy to meet up with you if we can arrange a good day. I can even offer a spare bed and a sheltered parking spot for the Viffer.

18. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    My wife keeps looking for a used sidecar that we could get to attach to her CB400. That way she can take the kids to school in the morning, on the bike. We've each taken one to school on the bikes and they are certainly the talk of the school for the day. LOL

19. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I doubt the design is patented--their website certainly omits any prominent mention of it. So, anyone could copy it and sell it, and if it really is so much better than traditional designs, they will. The suits may be priced appropriately to match their production capacity, so lowering the price could mean less money and no increase in production capacity? Is $486 US too much for a rainsuit? For those of us who rarely ride in the rain, it probably is, but for others, maybe not. I'd definitely have to see and touch the Jackson suit before parting with such a huge wad of cash, which could be a problem if they don't do shows and establish distributors abroad. But maybe dominating Oz is their goal, rather than the world.

After all, many people used to (and still do) think Aerostich Roadcrafters are way overpriced. But Andy Goldfine has managed to convince enough of us that his venerable suit design is worth the money...

Ciao,

20. Brandon82

Brandon82 New Member

Canada
    Thanks! If I come up that way, I'll shoot you a message