Anyone Have a Valve Check Video?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by KizerSosay, Jun 28, 2017.

1. KizerSosay

KizerSosay New Member

United States
    Does anyone know/have a link to valve check video for a 5th gen? I've searched here, there, and everywhere and can only ever find videos on the Vtec 6th gen's.

I've done valve checks on my other thumpers and inline twin bikes but would love to see it done on a V4 before I try. Especially after my dealer quoted me $425 to which said WOW!! The dude said "yea, vtec's cost more because they are vtec's. I reminded him that a 5th gen 99 does not have a vtec to which he responded, oh, then it's about $325.

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I don't know of any video, but I found the VFR to be a really easy machine to check valves on, once you get the cam covers off. Gear drives mean no camchains to deal with, so if you need to swap shims, it is an easy matter to unbolt the cam holder saddles, lift the cam out, swap the shims out, reinstall the cams and bolt the saddles back on. If you've not done this before, you'll find the cams are hollow and full of oil (DAMHIK).

I marked a cam gear tooth with correction fluid near an obvious mark on the adjacent saddle, so I could drop the cam back in the right spot easily. The gears have a split sprung design that will cause them to rotate slightly off mark until the saddle is tightened down. I only ever work on one camshaft at a time so I don't mess up.

Use a little gasket sealer on just the half-moon section of the gasket when you refit the cam cover, otherwise you'll get an oil weep from there.

OOTV likes this.