Anyone removed their Catalytic Converter?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Whitey, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Whitey

Whitey New Member

Looking to see if anyone has removed that unsightly, and probably horsepower-robbing, catalytic converter on a 6th gen. Are there any computer issues if it does come off. I would imagine that there are some o2 sensor issues....but really wondering if it adds or loses power with removal.

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    If you remove your cat you wil need to have o2 sims for the sensors. I think its 330 ohms resistor or something like that. You can get them inexpensively at Radio Shack. Or you could get a set of o2 sims that go with a power commander and use them. Don't th ink you will lose power, but it will feel different since the exhaust will breathe beter.

3. Whitey

Whitey New Member

I guess I will need to cut the flange of the converter off and use that as for creating a new exhaust pipe? Or have one made?

4. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    If you do remove the cat, keep us posted. I would like to know the difference in performance. I'll prolly do this to mine when it gets cold.

5. canib

canib New Member

Map
    I have a date with Best Muffler here in Vegas to do a hack and slash on my exhuast this weekend. When we get our heads together we'll decide if we'll;
    1) Do full headers into a 1 pipe with baffles (no cat). The pipe may end were the cat used to be with some short baffles in there or the pipe may be bent up under the seat and become a one-up instead of a two-up. It would be a slash cut chrome tip.
    2) Leave the headers but cut the cat off. I'll leave it up to Best Muffler if they leave the flange or make a two into one collecter. Again I'll either do a shorty muffler under the bike or a one-up under the seat.
    3) Leave the headers and the cat, bend a one-up under the seat and bolt it on to the cat.

I'd rather have 1 or 2, but it's up to what Best Muffler thinks is the most doable. They have a guy who's done bikes so I'll laeve it up to him. One issue is they don't have a mandrel pipe bender, just a crush bender, so to get the same air flow I'll need to use bigger pipes. That's only a concern for the headers though, as anything after the headers will be 1.5-2" anyways. I'll let you all know how it goes. I couldn't hold out for a $800 set of cans anyway. This all should cost way below $500 and sound way meaner. Also I can get all different kinds of baffles from J&P Cycles if I need to change the sound up.

6. erics'00vfr

erics'00vfr New Member

you can buy a mandrel bent pipe in the shape of a U from most exhaust shops then they can cut and weld it in the various turns you'll need. i have done this for many applications on car exhausts and intake and itercooler setups. the pipe should run only around 20 bucks.

7. erics'00vfr

erics'00vfr New Member

oh yeah i am very interested in removing my cat so definitely keep us posted.with pics of course

8. canib

canib New Member

Map
    Best Muffler was too busy Sat. :( so I'll have to take it in sometime this week and work is too damn busy to let me out for an afternoon. I'm jonesing for this mod, so I'll get your guys pics ASAP.

9. canib

canib New Member

Map
    Well, Best Muffler wussed out on me. They decided they wouldn't be able to produce a good enough product and decided not to take on the project.

Guess I'll have to do this myself. That means I have a good excuses to get a metal cutting chop saw :) But I won't be able to get done and write about it for awhile.

I'll work on a write up on guttin the cat in the mean time.

10. NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS New Member

United States
    i did but i changed out the front pipes with predator front pipes and laser exhausts,also i'm informed that motad also makes a front pipe for the v-tec.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  11. Markp

Markp New Member

Find a race or performance fabrication shop, they'll do a better job and they will use proper pipes to boot. It's not "cheap" but you'll be happier in the long run. You want stainless pipes with u-bends. Not cheap crush bent aluminized mild steel.

12. spragga b2

spragga b2 New Member

Is it compulsory that you use the o2 sims after guttin the cat? Where do i have to connect the 330 resistor on?

13. Taz

Taz New Member

Pssst, also don't post up the shops name & city, it is against the law You Know, & the shop could lose it's license :eek:

If you find a shop & people want to use it, PM the info/name :wink:

Carry on :cool:

14. marc28ni

marc28ni New Member

My problem with removing CATS is the exhaust gas test side of the M O T over in the UK. M O T (is a motorvehicle text) that makes sure you vehicle is safe to use on the public roads. Don't you have that in the U S???

15. trogggy

trogggy New Member

When did they start testing emissions on bikes in the uk?
    That's never been part of an MOT. :confused:

16. marc28ni

marc28ni New Member

it is as of this year m8 thats y honda did away with the carb cbfs, xl125v and more of there bikes and have the new cbf and xl's the same with one small difference fuel injection to get it past the emissions. However if your bike wasnt fitted with a cat then you have no problem gettin throw the mot (same rules as the car)

17. trogggy

trogggy New Member

Interesting. With cars I think it was linked to date of manufacture when they brought in emissions regs, rather than what was originally fitted. Do you have a link to the regs?

[EDIT]I've searched and can't find anything that says MOTs are now testing emissions. Nothing on the Dept of Transport site, nothing on any MOT advice that I can find. Are you sure? [/EDIT]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  18. marc28ni

marc28ni New Member

19. trogggy

trogggy New Member

20. marc28ni

marc28ni New Member