Are these the right jet needles?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Toby, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Toby

Toby New Member

Canada
    Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum. I have an 85 VF500F. I got it about 2 and a half years ago. Bought it for $400. It needed a lot of work. I just barely got it safetied and on the road in the late summer of 2018. Took it on a 2000 Kms trip the day after it passed the safety. The bike rides great. Handles amazing, brakes hard, responds super well. But the engine will bog down a bit if I giver from a stop. The bike is pretty much stock. However, the fuel pump was shot, so it is gravity fed. I disassembled the carbs and cleaned them pretty well in 2018. Float heights are set to spec. Main jets are #90. Pilot jet #38. Pilot screw turned out 2.5 turns. I just pulled the carbs again to clean. I have an ultra sonic cleaner now. When I checked out the jet needles I see they are marked 2VG. They are supposed to be 2VB. I cannot find anything online about 2VG. Is anyone aware if maybe this is an engraving mistake or something? Otherwise, has anyone else had the same issue? I hadn’t checked my plugs yet to see if it was running rich or lean and now it’s winter. Ive replaced the clutch plates and springs this summer. The bike revs perfectly fine. I have another set of old seized up carbs in the cleaner right now to see what components are in it.

Attached Files:

2. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I never managed to decode the needles. I doubt that is your problem. If it bogs when you give it a fistful from idle then you can fix that by increasing what you call the pilot jet (I call the slow jet) from #38 to #40 or even #42. You can get them on Ebay and they are cheap enough. I had the same issue and going to a #42 fixed it completely.

3. Toby

Toby New Member

Canada
    Ok. I’ll give that a shot. I’ve ordered some #40’s and some larger main jets while I’m at it. I’ve been thinking about adding in a fuel pump but I really haven’t had much issue without.