At what price would you be interested in a '14 VFR800 Std?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Texicans, May 31, 2016.

1. Texicans

Texicans New Member

At what price would you be interested in a '14 VFR800 Std?

Short of free, how cheap does it need to go new old stock to win you over vs the Dlx model? Would you be comfortable with the trade offs? Could you do a better after market suspension than the Dlx? How have you lived without ABS or TC? Does the power delivery ever warrant TC? What would a center stand run?

I imagine the Dlx models will sell out and the Std will be left. I have been quoted a Std at $7.7K plus tax. Is the bike that much better?

For similar $$$, I could go '14 Dayton non-R, but probably wouldn't be as comfy ! Let me know what you think, please.

2. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    I paid $7800 for my std 8th Gen back in June 2015 and don't see any good reason why anybody should pay more. I paid $110 fro the center stand because I like it for when I change my oil. ABS is the only reason to get the DLX but this is my 4th VFR and I've never had ABS so I don't know what Im missing, although I do notice the difference in breaking now that they've done away with the link breaks.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I would also consider used standards with extras like luggage or aftermarket mufflers. There is another 1-2 grand in your pocket while still getting a pristine bike.

I feel like the decision for electronic safety controls is a very personal one. If I tell you that I do not like it and influence your purchase, and you get in a situation of sand or rain where these systems are applicable, and you get hurt, then I am partially responsible for your accident. I suggest you take an inventory of your own skills, likes, and dislikes. Ask yourself, how do you feel about these features on your automobile? Maybe that helps?

4. 68mustang

68mustang New Member

United States
    Just remember when you go to resale it that WILL affect the value. Also I learned this lesson on my new old stock R1... It'll be a new bike, until you drive it off the lot. Then it's just another two year old used bike. So if the used ones aren't asking anywhere close to the new old stock one, be prepared to know that you'll hold onto it for awhile before you sell it unless you want to have about as much depreciation as buying a brand new one when it was new.

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Some things to consider:

1) Honda's reduction of the MSRP from $12,500 to $10,800, which is now supporting the outright ridiculously low price the OP posted.

2) In inflation adjusted dollars, the original MSRP was approximately $1,000 less expensive than buying the VFR in 1999. Yes, at the original MSRP $12,500/$13,500 the VFR800 was at a significant discount compared to buying a 5th gen new!

I don't see how the OP can go wrong the purchase of any nearly new VFR800. That's this bike, and even the VFR1200, but not necessarily any other brands and models. Out the door at his posted price he is looking at something like $8200. You can buy a fifth gen, refresh it and add some upgrades, and only be a couple thousand off from these price points. That makes this leftover bike an astoundingly good value.

They are probably disappearing but the occasional used one on Craigslist, with perhaps luggage, is sub-$7000. To me it is a flip of the coin of either the used or the leftover bike.

I will try not to rant, but people need to put a lot of cash into the purchase and limit the loans. Then depreciate the bike 100% on day one. Once one gets into a robust financial mindset, the resale of the vehicle becomes pure gravy and it is no longer a life-saving concern to get an extra $500 from it.

Texicans, I would say the Honda is of superior quality. But the Triumph is so darn light! Maybe this is a question of how much mileage/touring you are planning, versus pure racing and hooliganism. With care, the Honda goes 150,000 miles+. The Triumph will hit the graveyard long before that.

6. 68mustang

68mustang New Member

United States

I'm not saying don't buy the bike. But buy it knowing you'll be on it for awhile AND you like the thought of putting the very first mile on it. :) I know there's nothing like being the first owner.

7. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, but it is discounted from $12,500 to $7,700. That is astounding!

It depends. I rely on a mechanic at $100 an hour. The suspension needs an upgrade, also a thermostat and intake cleaning. If inspection turns up any issues, I have been quoted on the valve adjustment $1,100. (Please don't lecture me on this being a ripoff, I hit the dealer and every indie mechanic in the area.) Now add a few farkles. Take your fairings to a quality restorer for touchup. Also, our market doesn't have bikes for a dime a dozen, there are far fewer choices, and sellers hold their ground, making bikes much more expensive. Add $700-$1,000 to your price. (Mine wouldn't take a dime less than $3,300,and it was the only 5th gen in the metro area.)

In this example $7,700 - $2,000 = $5700. If you do all of your own work it is different. But I hit this price easily on my 5th gen refresh.

One doesn't know how a bike was broken in. The zero miles also gives one more time before scheduled servicing. I see this leftover vs. used as just a personal choice. The same as a certified used car/truck with expensive aftermarket wheels, with mileage, vs. new. People make this choice every day, and they choose both sides.

Most of us have justified new vehicles like this, I know I have, and I deeply regret it. What has not even been brought up is the opportunity cost. Apple & Amazon are growing like crazy. What would that money do over five years in their stock? This means loans have a much deeper opportunity cost, a much bigger swing in your pocket than you ever imagined.

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    $8K would do it for me if it had less than 2,000 km

9. 68mustang

68mustang New Member

United States
    Again every situation is different. I would think you would learn how to wrench on your own stuff when you see the amount it costs you to have someone else do it... But that's just my mindset.

We've missed the boat on Apple and Amazon. Their stocks are already trading way above what they were initially. Not as much growth. Also, 500 spread over 5 years is much better than coughing 10k up front and having a depreciating vehicle with all that liquid finances tied up in. YMMV but for me it made sense.

10. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    For many motorcyclists this is a major hobby and they even enjoy wrenching. However, I wrote a new book while my bike is being repaired. Of course sales are very poor today, and all an independent author has is "hope" sometimes. That said, given that books will sell in perpetuity, I think I made a major investment while someone else was busy getting their hands dirty. Pay yourself first, establish a means of production, and set yourself up not to fret about paying another expert for "the little things". I perceive that I would be falling behind financially if I was out in the garage working on the bike. Personal time can be much more valuable than most people think.

That is going to be one more "famous last words."

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/amzn/earnings-growth

Bezos is also a heavy investor in technology and new methods. Just sayin', in case anyone here is in investment mode. The stock is expensive now, which is rough. But Amazon is really just getting started. You've been warned!

:courage:

11. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Sounds like a decent deal to me. Unused (new) 2014 for $7700.

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Knight is talking shit again.

First bike-pays some dude 100 pesos an hour to do oil changes and other difficult things like maybe wash jobs...Is hung up on stuff he has no experience with like suspension mods- never seen his one bike and has only been out of his hood maybe 60 miles.

All sombrero and no gerbils.

Maybe he or she is SOW on acid?

A book? Title? Publisher? Availability? Reviews? Maybe a Harley romance novel? Y'all know how those things go..

13. Big_Panda

Big_Panda New Member

United States
    Map
    What kind of difference do you notice?

14. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I was interested in and bought a standard with a center stand for the price I paid for it. I see no reason to pay more for the bling that comes with a Deluxe. Research the traction control and see if you really want it.

15. blakebirk

blakebirk New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, I've put about 800 mi on my 2014 which I got new for $8300 for the std. model. I probably paid to much based on this and other discussions I've heard. I'm still very happy with the bike.

To the original question on this thread, I wish I had the center stand, I under stand that the entire exhaust system needs to be removed to install one which sounds expensive, although I haven't looked into it.

Self canceling signals, cool Idea but I have never had them so don't miss them.

The electrics, TC and heated grips, same story, never had them so I don't miss them.

The suspension is the big deal the standard is very stiff and I wish I had more adjustability. I am getting used to it. I rode 300 miles yesterday and didn't feel too beaten up at the end of the day. I will have it looked at when I am able and perhaps have things re-valved I don't know if the dlx suspension is much better.

So for me the suspension and the center stand are the two items.

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Until the 5th gen I have is broken or no longer able to do the job, no 014 model will come close for the smiles per mile. Did I all most pull the trigger? you bet. but I was looking at em when they first came out, and the sticker was the biggest hurdle, now not so, But since then I have landed a pretty nice fixed up 5th gen that's unique in it's own way that I made. So there ya have it, no price is low enough at the moment. but $7700, wow, thats half off from the original dlx pricing, I'd say yea that's a good deal as long as they don't start adding this and that to it.

17. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    It took my dealer about 20 minutes to put the center stand on my standard so I know the exhaust system didn't come off. The VFR is more sport than touring and I really don't want a VFR (I'm on my third one now) that rides "smooth". I can ride mine all day long and have this one and the others I've had many many times.

Also, I wouldn't worry about paying too much for your bike. People like to quote low prices but what counts is the "out the door" price. They don't tell you and likely don't know the assembly charges, destination charges, doc fees, uncrating fees, and fee this, fee that, taxes, etc. I forgot what I paid for mine but I do know that it was from the consistently cheapest dealer in the country with NO add on fees and a free center stand or they didn't get to sell me the bike. Pay no attention to prices you hear of on forums. It's the number on the check that counts. Sticker prices on VFR's have never been paid on any gen. except by fools. I really wonder about people that finance things like motorcycles......

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  18. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    If you plan on keeping a new bike for over 10 years then a new one is worth it. You then have the peace of mind knowing that it was broken in properly, though I hear this is NOT too big a concern anymore. Also, you can be sure the valves have been adjusted, never been overheated, and really dumb stuff hasn't been done to it.
    On my first bike I never even knew that you were supposed to adjust valves. Ended up sounding like a sewing machine!
    I don't think that traction ctl. and/or ABS are that necessary. As long as you keep decent tires on the bike, you'll be o.k.. If you can walk out of a dealership w/ a brand new 2014 VFR800 for $8000.00, you're doing good!

19. Texicans

Texicans New Member

Great feedback everyone. There is approximately $800 for freight, prep, and admin expense. So another $500 for local taxes and about $8,300 OTD. I am in no hurry and patiently doing my homework. If I missed this bike, I will find another. I get the used vs new arguments. I prefer new old stock, but yeah that first depreciation hit is only a little less hurtful but inconsequential if you are a LT owner. I hope to be a LT owner.

Any more thoughts on standard suspension. I am 175lbs and heavier than base set up for my street triple r. Any idea about the base set up assumed rider weight? Does the Std suspension run soft? My street triple r communicates a lot through the seat. Not horrible, but noticeably firmer than the Dlx I tested.

One extra question, do shorter riders find the bike quieter if the air over the windscreek is head level vs a naked bike? I wear ear protection when I ride and found the test ride to be reasonably quiet give the crappy 3/4 helmet I was leant. Thanks again.

20. blakebirk

blakebirk New Member

United States
    Map
    Regarding the suspension I find it to be to stiff, I've heard that from the factory it is somewhat in the middle setting so it can be softened. I posted about it in another thread and received similar response to the stock suspension. Now my previous sport tourer is a 2002 Triumph Sprint ST which has a notoriously mushy (that's a technical term) suspension so the difference between the two is very noticeable. I really do like how tight and nimble the Honda feels by the way. I'm about 195 and 6' tall BTW.

I think a double bubble wind screen would be a good fit for me there is a little buffeting of my head at freeway speeds but not to bad.

DriftingAlong, thanks for the info on the center stand I'm getting the first service done on my bike tomorrow and will inquire about having a center stand installed.