ATTN: DIY Painters. Need some input!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by elwray, May 25, 2010.

1. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    First off, no I didn't have any mishaps with the VFR (knock on wood) ;)

I want to paint my VTX hard bags. They are ABS plastic, and currently a gloss black from the factory.

I have minimal painting experience... mostly rattle can with meek results.

My bike is a 3 stage Pearl White:

[​IMG]

Getting parts painted a perfect match gets pretty pricey.

I'm planning on upgrading to bigger bags somewhere soon down the line, so I don't want to shell out the cash for a spot on paint match (would do nothing for resale on the bags; the Pearl White VTX is relatively quite "rare") but, I think getting it "close enough" would be satisfactory.

I'd appreciate some tips on prep and paint technique, and maybe some ideas on where to look for paint. If I can get the job done with rattle cans with decent results, I'd like to do that since I don't have any painting supplies. However I do have a compressor, and I'm sure I can find some second-hand painting supplies at the flea market.

I went to get a small part painted to match at the local body shop we've been using for years, and aside from getting the exact paint from Color Rite (which is balls-on correct) he couldn't match it. All auto colors he had weren't "white enough" to match the bright pearl of my VTX (NH452P is the code).

The brackets I have the bags attached with set them off the fender a bit, so it won't look too bad if they aren't an exact match. Plus, I'd love to try my hand at painting ...

Thanks for any input!

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

3. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
  4. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    The 93 Pearl Crystal White is a 3 stage paint, base coat, pearl coat, clear coat. It is available from Color Rite in rattle cans. Prep and follow instructions carefully.

Larry

5. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    What's a ballpark idea on how much paint I would need to do the outside of those two bags? Color Rite paint is very expensive, and the Color Rite painter I could have do it has very reasonable rates...

6. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    probably no more than one rattle can or a pint.

7. betarace

betarace New Member

honestly, given the relative small size and limited prep, I would ask a pro to do it. There is a guy local to me who wants $500 for a whole bike, single color (lost his details). I suspect given the size and prep you are in the sub $100 range. Getting the match and a pro job would be advised. There are so many out of work/partially employed painters, I suspect it's a buyers market. here is a guy in balteemore that may be worth a call Custom Motorcycle Paint

8. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I kind of want to try and do it myself, just for fun. It'll probably end up costing the same, and not come out as well, but I'm really interested in giving it a go. Then once I upgrade to larger bags, I'll have them shot by a pro...

9. betarace

betarace New Member

well going with colorrite you will need 1 can of primer, base, top and clear = I just bought a can of top for my 92 was $39 delivered... so you are looking at over $100 anyway.

The reason I suggest a pro is the color match, if you were doing the whole bike, it would all match and no worries (I painted the whole of my 92 with colorite) and it came out OEM... but a 1 off cost wise for these bags would be prob less than the DIY and a lot less aggro

10. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm so no chance I could find some rattle can white from Home Depot and shoot this to make it look half-decent? If it really needs to be done professionally with an exact paint match to look good, I'll just wait to do anything and get the bigger bags and have them painted. I just figured I'd give it a shot myself since it sounds like fun!

11. betarace

betarace New Member

white isnt white, there are so many variations that it will be obvious... your call. It is a great skill to have though, I enjoy painting and awesome results... maybe you can get Tinker's rashed plastics and experiment.

12. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmmm okay maybe a different idea... I leave the bags black, but replace the thin pinstripe I put on with a thicker white band. Maybe that would tie them in a bit better, and hold me off until I get bigger bags painted ....

13. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    are there some easily removable body parts on you bike, like a side panel? If so, take it off and run to a Kragen/Oreily, or even Pep Boys and use that to color match against the rattle can caps. I've found the caps to be accurate. Then primer, color and clear will cost about $25.

14. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah the side covers pop right off. I can match it close, but since it's a pearl I have to compromise on either the base or the top coat if I want to rattle can it ... I'm going to give it a shot. I bet there's some kind of pearl rattle can I can put on top of a white base......