Bad cam chain guide?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by klipsedeville, Apr 14, 2022.

1. klipsedeville

klipsedeville New Member

Nigeria
    I have just replaced the entire front top cylinder on my 6th gen 2002. This was because I had a bent valve on the intake of #2 cylinder. The whole problem started when I heard the infamous clatter from the front CCT. So I rebuilt it twice now but unfortunately, I rode out on a wet day and less than 3 miles the bike stalled out and won't turn over.

Opened up the valve cover and found the bent valve, infact, the intake camshaft was dislodged, and 2 out of the 3 bearing journals were scuffed and scratched badly, so I just replaced the top with a good used one. Bike starts up and runs fine until you rev up the rpm. There is a very loud rattle/clatter coming from around the chain tensioner. The sound is consistent with engine rpm, so I installed manual tensioners since the OEM had already been rebuilt twice. Still the terrible rattle and clatter. It is constant and consistent with rpm. I have not ridden the bike since the new cylinder top was put in.

After digging around, I found that the you can feel the metal clatter right off the manual tensioner. Infact, if you loosen the tensioner enough, you will see it moving up and down each time the clatter/tapping happens.

So I am wondering, could the chain have been damaged or has the guide worn so bad it has developed a point where each chain link catches/hits while rotating?