Bad way to start the 2011 season

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by barleymashers, Mar 18, 2011.

1. barleymashers

barleymashers New Member

United States
    Map
    So it close to 75 degrees here in NJ. I'm psyched to go out for a ride, finish work and start to get the bike prepped. Install my new Sargent seat that I got for Christmas, clean the windscreen and mirrors and go to check the tire pressure and notice a green fluid leaking from the bottom towards the front. I look to where the bike had been sitting all winter, nothing there. Dry. Something must have happened when I moved it to the center of garage. I move it some more to see how bad it is, no immediate fluid, but then it starts coming out eventually.

I assume this stuff is coolant? At least that is what it looks like to me. I checked the brakes and both seem to be working so I don't think it is that. I guess I'll need to check if it popped off or cracked. ( I'm hoping nothing more serious )

Not very happy! I was looking forward to my first ride of the year.

:mad:

2. braceyoself777

braceyoself777 New Member

Map
    Maybe when you moved the bike some coolant let out of the overflow line. Happened to my bike because I park on an incline and I don't have a center stand so the fluids gets more movement.

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    check to make sure the radiator is full. Then fire it up and let her warm up to temp. Then let her cool back down to cold. If no coolant spews out all over, ride the thing. Maybe stay close to home until you know it won't blow a hose and leave you stranded.

4. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

+1 Definitely could be a bit of coolant overflow leakage.

Left side of the bike,look under the lower fairing panel just forward of the shifter pedal and you'll see a couple of little black hoses hanging down. Feel the ends of those hoses with your hand and see if one of them is wet and smells like coolant,that's the coolant tank overflow hose. I usually get a teeny little bit of coolant overflow on my bike when I start it in the spring too.

5. barleymashers

barleymashers New Member

United States
    Map
    I was finally able to go out for a ride today, only a short 30 miles to make sure everything was working correctly. No issues, I must say I am pleased with the new seat. Hopefully I will be even happier on longer rides. I think I should have replaced the stock seat a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. army_eod

army_eod New Member

Nice seat..which one is it and how much more comfort do you get with it?

7. barleymashers

barleymashers New Member

United States
    Map
    It is the Sargent World tour seat with silver accents. It came from Sport Tour.

As for comfort, when I first sat on it, I thought it was worse then the stock seat as it seemed to not allow my thighs to get to the position that they wanted to be. However, once I started riding I realized that was a plus, it just seemed to give more support. It is hard to tell you exactly how much of a change in comfort there is after only one short ride and not having ridden since October. I probably should put the stock seat back on, do a ride, then change again o give you a better comparison.

8. Heatmizr

Heatmizr New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmmm, maybe it was nothing, but I'd be giving that bike a little bit better inspection to see where that fluid came from. Get familiar with the coolant system, feel around in there, warm it up and look for leaks. You could head off an issue before it warms up this summer.
    You don't want to find something right before a big ride this season.