Bar risers, lowering pegs, lower back relief?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by desmcgrath, Apr 28, 2013.

1. desmcgrath

desmcgrath New Member

Just got a VFR 2009 a week ago. Awesome bike, specially for a newbie like me (this is my second, my first was an aprilia mana, fun but only 55hp so....).

Anyway, after reading a lot and test riding a few bikes (k1200,shiver, magna, fz6 and fz1, even a vrod) I went for the vfr. Basically was looking for some fun and something I can take some longer trips on, but to my dismay, the bike position is a bit rough for me.... Specially lower back and wrists, which are a bit strained from wokring on computers all day, all week, all my life.

In any case, not sure I can keep riding and working at the current setup so a bit at a loss for solutions. Convertibars seem to offer a 4" rise, 2" angle change which could help, but not sure if the fairing would allow for it.

Should I try to trade it in at the dealer for an fz1 (noooooo!!!!!!!). Any sugestions to lesser the load, raise the bars and what not. LOVE THE BIKE, but can't ride it as is for more than maybe 2-3 hours a week....

Thanks!

PS: MAybe a fairing mod to allow higher bars? Or should I try to eat crow and try to exchange it at the dealer for a cb1000r or something more upright? :frown:

2. BereaVFR

BereaVFR New Member

There are two plug and play solutions for your bars. Heli Bars are the easier of the two and I like mine. You can also go with LSL Spiegler Kit. It is more expensive but allows more adjustments since you can switch out handlebars.

I also have Larry's lowering blocks for my pegs and it lowers them a bit more than an inch. You can find them over at VFRDiscussion.com.

I suggest you build up your core strength as well. Sit up, pushups and planks are good for it. I have been doing them since January and I can tell a difference.

3. stevets

stevets New Member

Map
    There is no free lunch! You just can't get significant rise and reach adjustment without longer lines and/or cables. I've been riding my 06 for a couple years with Convertibars and they offer at least 4" of rise with another 2" of pull back. The hand angle adjustment might be the most interesting feature and the adjustment I find myself messing with the most.

4. BereaVFR

BereaVFR New Member

Any issues with the fairing on the convertibars? Could you post some pics?

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    It would be helpful if you gave us your height and weight. As was mentioned, exercise/strength training would help a lot. You want to have a slight lean forward when you ride. You don't want to be straight up and down (although many are). You want the weight to be spread out, not all on your back compressing your spine all day. Strenghening your back muscles (and the rest) will help a lot.

6. stevets

stevets New Member

Map
    I'm 5 11 175 and 51 years old. One picture shows the bars at the highest setting and the other shows one high, one low. The only interference issues occur when I have them at the highest setting. At full turns the master cylinders make slight contact with the windscreen but I could easily make fine adjustments to eliminate this problem. VFR.jpg VFR2.jpg

7. BereaVFR

BereaVFR New Member

I can tell there are a set of those in my future. Thanks for the pictures.

8. nz87xy

nz87xy New Member

I have had Convertbars for almost 4 years. You will need the longer front brake and clutch lines. I have the bars about 3.5 inches higher and 2 inches closer to seat. They only just hit fairing when parking. So much adjustability. I also have Knight Design 1 inch lower pegs. At 56years, my back and knees are not what they were at 26. Helibars do not have much adjustment. I also have a Sargent seat that is flatter than stock. Better than stock but not enough padding for the wife. I definitely recommend the bars and pegs. You won't be disappointed.

9. BereaVFR

BereaVFR New Member

I have Helibars and BLS lowering blocks. I like the extra height of the helis but I could stand a bit lower angle on the bars themselves.