Beginning Bike recommendations?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by jenkins, Dec 4, 2006.

1. jenkins

jenkins New Member

I'm not exactly new to riding yet, but I am hoping to be sometime. I'm only 15 at the moment, and I have been looking into getting my motorcycle permit, but I am really not sure what would be a good starter bike for me. I don't need anything too fancy or expensive since it will be my beginning bike. I certainly don't need anything that can go too fast as I am a teenager, and sometimes we choose not to think..:tongue: Anyway, if you could maybe post advice or links to possibilities for beginning bikes..It would be a wonderful help. Thanks!

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hi jenkins. Thank you for having the wisdom and forethought to seek out advice. That shows some maturity in and of itself. I would suggest, for a starter bike, something like a Ninja 250. It's a small machine, lightweight, and easy to maneuver. It also is not overpowered for someone starting out. In fact, even though I had a number of years experience on dirtbikes, my first streetbike was a Ninja 250, there are also other small displacement bikes available depending onwhether you want a sport-type or cruiser-type bike. While I could have gone with a Ninja 500 or similar bike, I felt the 250 was a good place to start. It was good for short trips and riding around town and good to gain experience I needed for when I moved to a larger machine. Newer models have improved over the years as mine was an 89 model. But the premise is still sound. I also suggest you take a MSF (Mortcycle Safety Foundation) course. You can get more info at your local drivers licensing office and probably on your state website. I think there is also and MSF website, but I do not have the link handy in my mind. I wish you luck and please feel free to read the forums here and learn what you can.

3. Rev

Rev New Member

Oh yea, the Ninja 250s are f'n sweet! Roughly $3000 new and they are easy to find used too. Lots of mods and aftermarket parts, a complete blast to ride, and excellent gas mileage.

Good website for Ninja 250 info.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

4. quema

quema New Member

I highly recommend the MSF course, cost varies by state:

http://www.msf-usa.org/

I also second the vote for a ninja 250. Smaller, lighter, plenty fast (the bike acts like two bikes, below 5000 RPM it is tame, over 9000 RPM, it is a beast... albeit a little beast).

The only point I would de-emphasis, is the need for a larger bike, the ninja 250 was like my 5th bike, and was still a lot of fun. 80 on the freeway no problem (top about 105... but I certainly wouldn't know that!). A lot of people buy a 250 to learn on for a couple of months and then jump to a larger bike... the true value of a 250 is that if you keep it for a little while it will teach you to keep your speed though corners... anyhow, enough of my thoughts... oh wait... one more...

Insurance will be cheaper too...

Good luck

5. Florida

Florida New Member

Map
    Glad to see the recommendations for the Ninja 250. I've always thought it is the ideal first bike. A real motorcycle that is loads of fun while forgiving enough to let you perfect your technique.

Too many of these "first bike" threads start with something like an SV650 and then argue over whether one should start with something even bigger because it will be more of a long-term "keeper." Wrong! It takes thousands of miles to become really competent on a bike. Anything heavier or more powerful than a Ninja 250 is just an invitation to a crash. Plus, any experience rider will tell you that light and nimble is more fun than heavy and overpowered.

The MSF course is an absolutely essential place to start. Don't stop there. Go back for the experience rider course and any other advanced courses that you can find in your area.

Finally, don't neglect the importance of protective gear. Full-face helmet, boots, gloves, and armored jacket and pants. Shop the closeouts at NewEnough.com and MotoXOutlet.com.

Have fun. Stay safe.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I was thinking either the ninja 250 or just get an old standard like a CB from honda. They are up for sale all the time and plenty good for learning. Another good option is like a KE 100 from Kawasaki. They are small but cheap, street legal, and very light. I had one for years when I was like 12-16. Also, it is a trail bike so you can get off road a little. I would get the ninja if I was gonna plan on keeping the bike for a while, but if it's just for learning, I'd get the cheapest thing I could find then save the money for the next bike.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Jenkins Wow a smart teenager, good to see LOL as stated the little Ninja isn't to bad, Older Hondas inculeding the little 250 VFR if you can find one would be another way to go. depending on your size you could even go dual purpose, say like a XL 200-250. those really are a great bike as is any of the other dual sports. MSF is cool but getting some seat time is the biggest deal, practice, practice, practice, why I say dual sport you can go find a nice back country dirt road and ride to your hearts content. ooo is it to soon to say Super motard? as in one example Suzuki DRZ400? Have fun, stop by often, lots of support here.

8. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Jenkins -- You've gotten some great advice!! Ninja 250 is a great bike!! Basically a perfect "first bike". I had one 12 years ago as my first bike and I still miss her. She was affordable, light, easy to ride, easy to find, easy to maintain and got about 60 miles per gallon...a real plus for a dude in HS. --at your age I spent what little dough I had on girls.

...oh yeah, chicks will dig it, too.

totally agree with Vinnie...MSF basic rider's course will save your life many times over!! Time and money you can't afford not to spend if you are going to become a motorcyclist.

9. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Sorry for carving up your name on that last post, Vinny.

10. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm with the dirt or dual sport camp with RVFR. I started on a 185CMT and the only regret I have is not having more dirt experience prior to taking to the street. Crashing a dirt bike in the dirt is less prone to cause you injury and cheap to fix when you bugger something up.
    1) Take an MSF course.
    2) Find a sub 500cc bike that fits you.
    3) Practice!
    I took my road test after I mastered the bicycle rodeo couse at the local grade school parking lot. Right now you should focus on getting comfortable and CONTROL.

Oh yeah....don't forget to have a blast too.

11. VFR4464

VFR4464 New Member

I would recommend the Ninja 250, and take the MSF course, and then later the Lee Parks course, once you master the Ninja 250, and are knee dragging you will be able to ride any bike including a liter bike, with control, and confidence, andthen off to the track, this process will take you about 18 months of hard work.
    You will only be limited by how hard you work at it.

So get going.

James.

12. keet

keet New Member

Map
    ..............when i was in HS...my dad had an old cushman eagle that i used to flog in the woods where we lived....it had a foot clutch and suicide shift up near the gas tank.....i saved up and got a 1967 160cc honda dream for $500.00 (new).....it did serve me pretty well, but it didnt have too much oomph....it got awesome gas mileage tho(98mph)....when i finally moved up to a slightly bigger bike, i DID have an "appreciation" for more power,and how to utilize it.....from what i understand, the 250 ninja "might" be a good choice for you at this point in your life

13. PearlBlack

PearlBlack New Member

My first bike was an 83 Yamaha Virago 500cc. It was cheap, light, easy to learn on and very easy to sell to someone else. I've never rode a Ninja 250, but just my two cents. I agree with others on definitely taking the MSF course. Anyway you go ride safe and within your limits.

14. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    For a younger rider who wants to get into Sports bikes, a Ninja 250 is a pretty good choice. I would advise an adult (who might weigh more) to check out the Ninja 500. If you are interested in a crusier, then either the Suzuki Savage, Yamaha Virago and the Honda Rebel would be choices to consider (don't forget how much fun dirt bikes are). The MSF course is a must - even more so for someone who has never driven a car or a motorcycle (that is just my opinion because I am a safety nut). After completing the MSF I would recommend that you practice riding (work on basic skills) and do some reading to learn more about motorcycle engines and suspension. After taking the time to gain more experience riding (1 - 2 years), and learning more about motorcycle engines and suspension, then I would suggest taking the Lee Parks Total Control Riding Clinic. Lee Parks Total Control Clinics are for Advanced riders. To participate in the Lee Parks Total Control ARC all students are required to provide their own bikes and have at least one year of riding experience. For students with less than two years of experience, it is advised (though not required) that they have completed an MSF ERC. I have attended the Total Control ARC and have also completed the Total Control ARC Instructor training (you must be 21 years old for the Instructor training). Well worth the money. The really great thing is you are young and have some time to learn and get really good at riding - take it easy, enjoy yourself and ride safely.

15. Spike

Spike New Member

Ninja 250 is a great first bike. I would recommend buying used, not new. You can usually pick one up fairly cheap, look for evidence that it has been raced, which can mean abused. Yes you will grow out of it, but if you buy smart and keep it only a year or two, you should be able to sell it for about what you paid for it. Hopefully only losing a couple hundred bucks in the process of having a lot of fun and honing your skills. Buying buying cheap, you also won't be upset when you drop it for the first time.

The MSF beginer course is also a Hearty "yes!" too.

16. Ferris

Ferris New Member

I'm in the dual sport ( I guess no one calls them enduros anymore ) camp.

Dirt donkin' is fun! The learning you do while you're at it is a bonus.

I got my street license at age 15, and riding an enduro helped make me a saner street rider than I would have been otherwise. Why? Because the street was the necessary evil to get to the off road riding where I could really have fun!

Said another way - why risk practicing wheelies and stoppies on the street knowing I could go run powerlines and fire roads like a unicycle? No cops, no traffic, no concrete. No grief - or potential loss of bike priviledge - from Dad over getting a ticket. I'd be so worn out that I would just slowly putt home.

It was exciting because it was different than just having a dirt bike - now, instead of just riding around places near home, I could legally ride to any place that looked like a hoot.

17. Scorpio65

Scorpio65 New Member

Map
    My first bike was a GS500. great little starter bike, very forgiving for new riders. I put over 25 K on mine, and just up graded to my vfr. As everyone else has said, take the MSF. I wouldn't start out with anything over a 500cc bike. Good luck and have fun :smile:

18. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    We have a family VTR 250 Interceptor that I have used as a trainer for my son and will pass on to my youngest son in a few years. My wife and I fight over who gets to ride it sometimes.

You can find a VTR250 Interceptor on E-Bay for $1000-1500.
    Parts are still readily available and it's 90 degree twin is a lot more civilized than the 250 Ninja.

You'll love anything that you get, if you're like I was at your age! You have plenty of adventures ahead!:biggrin:

Yay you!:whoo:

19. jenkins

jenkins New Member

I'm looking around, and I can't find any great deals on a Ninja 250. I have been trying to figure out how to gather up the money I need to get one. It's looking like it will cost me at least a grand, but I am having a hard time getting a job since I am 15. I thought since you guys were able to help me out with ideas on a bike that you might know of some places to look around for a cheap one. I live in a small town in Missouri so there aren't exactly thousands of possibilities. Money is either hard to come by or hard to hold on too in high school. I haven't decided which just yet, but I would appreciate more help if you guys can!

20. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Get some dislipline pal. I'd paid for a Harley 45, CR250, CL 450, 500 H1 and Indian Enfield by the time I was your age. It's called work!