Bent Rim & Searching on VFRW

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Allyance, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    This past weekend I was all proud of myself for finding a new PR4 front tire for $134.88, no tax, no shipping. Saved myself about $50 over CG around the corner. Local shop was going charge $30 for mounting & balancing. Then I went for a ride Monday and hit a deep pot hole just past a sharp corner, no time to swerve. The result:
    [​IMG]
    Luckily we have an excellent wheel shop in Walnut Creek and he will fix rim for $100, including taking off old tire and mounting new tire! So actual cost of damage will be about $70.

Now about the searching on VFRW, I have been frustrated by not being able to search for topics with two or more words to narrow search. TinkerinWstuff was kind enough to send me this tip:

Open a Google search and enter site:vfrworld.com bent rim (my example), worked like a charm. Apparently site software can not search a normal multi word string.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sorry about your rim, but sometimes that the cost of doing business. I was rear ended while I was on my bike once, put a big old dent in the rear rim. Fortunately it was all covered by the guys insurance. Ironically, the guy who hit me was a tow truck driver but had to call his other driver to pick up my bike with his flat bed. The guy was really cool about it and took care of everything, even towed my bike twice. Once to his garage, then to the bike shop that ended up fixing it.

I keep forgetting about the Google search trick and you're right, much better results!

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ooo, wow, nice save, I can only imagine the WTF moment there and hanging on. Sorry to hear this, glad you weren't the worse of it. yes goggle is great, but to find a 014 front rim, Oeee, I'm thinking if they'll be as rare as rocking horse poo used. then knowing the rim is $700+ new from Honda, is insurance an option? Yes, I looked into em. GL luck there.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    That must of been one big ass pot hole...glad ta hear you saved it..could of been a lot worse....maybe call the city for reimbursement?

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Luckily I was going fairly slow on a very twisty road and hit it square on, fairly deep!

6. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

United States
    Map
    In a split second of pure bad luck, I had a 6" brick shaped rock roll right in front of me on a canyon road in a storm last summer, bent the hell out of my front '14 rim.

I got a new HONDA replacement for about $400 from my local shop. The damaged rim held air, but was too sketchy to attempt a repair. It's a nice clock on the wall in my garage now.