Best 6th Gen tires???

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by eightangrybears, Nov 7, 2011.

1. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

Hey all,

I know this is probably going to be a very opinion based topic but I thought I would ask anyways. Anyone think they know what the best set of tires for the 6th gen would be? I do about 30% highway, 70% off-highway riding, no track days and I am not a knee dragger. That being said, I am looking for 1) good grip (especially when it rains, which it does a lot here) 2) long lasting and 3) not RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

I am sure everyone has their own opinion about what tires they think are best, but let's hear em and why you think they are so good. Maybe with all this info I can put a comparison chart together...Thanks everyone...

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    You do know there's about 100 tire threads already? :)

I'm not saying they are the best - although I do run them on my 5th Gen - but my money would go to the Michelin PR2. They work well in the rain, heat up relatively quick, stick in the corners (as a compromise since you do some highway), should last 6,000 miles or more (some folks claim getting 10,000 or more), and the price has come down since the release of the PR3.

3. eightangrybears

Yeah, I looked through a bunch of tire threads already. Just wanted a fresh take on it all. I would prefer all corners but as I live in New Orleans, most of my riding within 50 miles of the city is straight as an arrow. I do like to take the bike up to Georgia, NC, TN, Arkansas though to get a taste of some twisties. I like the price for sure of the PR2's. I just looked and I have Road Attacks on it currently (what came on the bike when I bought it). How do you think the PR2's compare?

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  5. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Translates to = "I'm too lazy to look at the old threads that I have covered this issue a thousand times, so I will just put clog up the forum with another repeat thread just so I can bother someone to give me a quick response just to suit myself." Ugh. Search is your friend compadre.

Personally, I use and love Michelin Pilot Road2's. Once I wear out the 2's, I am thinking of trying the newly released 3's. Supposed to be better in the rain.

Ride safe.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, can't do that. Once you pick a tire, you're stuck with it forever. That's why it's so important that you find out which is the 'best' one before making a choice.

7. eightangrybears

I didn't realize people were so touchy about forum posts. The last "real" post on the forum that was linked earlier was in February...EARLY February. A lot of new tires or types of tires could have come out in that amount of time. I have looked through MANY posts (including the one linked earlier in this thread) and I am capable of choosing tires by myself, but I thought the point of this forum and this website in general was for people who owned VFRs to collaborate (peacefully) and to help each other out and give advice. If I wanted bashers, I would hang with people who ride Harleys. I realize that one extra thread in a forum would be a lot for some people to deal with, but personally, I don't think so. I have the ability to look past a title and move on to the next.

I apologize if this comes off a bit harsh, but I really am surprised by the reaction to a simple question like this.

8. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    What if I start a new thread asking which tire is best? Will it then reset the cycle and allow me to choose a new tire?

9. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Well actually, you did get 2 endorsements for the PR2. I'm sure you'll wait for more, and they will come. Just as more sarcasm and ball busting will come. Which is what keeps this forum entertaining.

So for more sarcasm: Don't be so touchy about people being touchy! :biggrin:

10. Carnage

Carnage New Member

Some people have nothing better to do than be bitchy. Makes them feel like real men or make people like them. Sad.

I have the Pilot Power on my '07. I love the tires. After putting them on after the stock Dunlop's I can tell I had so much more traction and better handling. They won't last as long as the PR's but I don't ride enough anymore to worry about it. They have been on there for over a year and still look great.

11. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    You're quite right to post a new thread which can easily be ignored if it causes angst to the poo pooers. :wink:

With Manufacturers regularly releasing new models, updates or performance bias changes a "best" Tires thread posted every 6 months or so is perfectly valid. Tires are a moving target and who wants to sift through old chaff arguing the virtues of Michelin ROADs Vs Pirelli Stradas Vs Metzeler MZ4s ?

From your listed Bias which includes price I'd say stick to the previous gen Sports touring tires. Think either Micheln Road 2s or Pireli Angel STs would best suit your purposes with the Road 2s biased towards life and wet weather riding with slower turnin but still good side grip and the Angels considered quicker through the twisties. Dunlop Roadsmarts, Bridgestone BT23s and Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8s are also good ST tires so should be considered if the price is right.

As for the latest, I currently have Michelin Road 3s which as advertised are amazing through wet greasy conditions that are wearing remarkedly well though are no better than my earlier Road 2s in the dry and Dunlop have just released RoadSmart 2s with longer milage and better Wet weather grip than their old Roadsmarts which I may consider next as the Roadsmarts 2 have quicker turnin than the Michelin Road 3s.

12. CElias-VFR

CElias-VFR New Member

Good morning everyone. I installed Metzeler Z6 Interact about 1,000 miles ago, and I will buy them again. These tires feel so sticky and make the bike so stable, I just love them. I ride on twisty roads here in Virginia.

Cheers,

CElias

PS. You may respond impolitely if you can take as much as you give :)

13. eightangrybears

Thanks for the advice I was looking for. And for some level headed individuals for responding instead of the "I hate this post police." I think I have a good idea what kind of tires I want to get now thanks to you guys and your practical advice...

14. Parker VFR

Parker VFR New Member

Maybe the PR - not the PR2

Here's a twist. I actually look for the old PR tires - not the PR2's, as the PR's are a little cheaper if you can find them. I ride just like you explained. I used to use the PR2's on my previous bike, but went for the cheaper tire when I had to replace tires on my VFR this year. They seem to work just as well (for me and my riding style), and they are CHEAPER. I like CHEAPER. :)

To be honest - if my riding buddies weren't so competitive and run off and leave me, I would opt for a higher mileage tire (ME880 if they made 'em to fit) as I usually ride pretty slow. The PR's ride like I'm on rails, so I guess I'll stick with them until they quit making any more of 'em (maybe already have). Anyway - the PR2 is a great tire. So that should work for you too.

15. benny6169

benny6169 New Member

Map
    I'be got the pr3 with 8000 miles.....plenty of tread left on the rear but the front is wearing funny. I check my air pressure every day and sometimes in the am b4 work and after work. Has anyone used dyna beads to balance tires. How bout nitrogen?

16. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    and another vote for the pr2s, only because the pirelli angel st's i had did not last 3k miles. I guess I ride like a maniac?

and yes you're right, threads like this are the exact reason for forums like this. get a grip yall.

dont like it, dont read it! dang!

17. JSzczesniak

JSzczesniak New Member

Tire compounds, styles, and products are constantly changing as is our experience with them so WHY someone would be so damn touchy about having that many threads about them is beside me. I had a new rider go down in front of me last week because of poor tire choice, it's one of the most important components on a bike!

Since you do only 30% highway and 70% funness - I would reccomend the Pilot Power 2CT's over the Pilot Road. Although the road gets more credit for longevity - I'm a fan of a bit stickier tire and recently switched to the 2CT - took it through the hills the past two weekends and I couldn't be more happier. Both are great tires so I'm sure you would be happy with either. But just my two cents!

18. OnTap

OnTap New Member

United States
    I like the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's also. Quick turning, lot's of grip! Only downside is they seem to wear pretty fast even though they are a "dual-compound" tire.

I put a set of Dunlop Q2's on last spring and like them as well as the Pilot Power 2Ct's as far as handling and grip. They seem to be wearing better than the 2CT's did.

19. geronpg

geronpg New Member

if you think that reaction was harsh, try asking about oil...
    seriously, I just had the stock Dunlops on my 6th gen. replaced at 6,500 miles with a set of conti-attacks, and I'm very pleased with them. The tricky thing about tires is that they slowly change and get dryer and harder throughout their life, but it's so gradual, unless you ride a lot, that you don't notice it - you just get used to it. Then the new tires feel fantastic and you think they're the best ever.
    good luck, welcome to VFR's and hope you enjoy future experiences on the web site.
    We need everyone's opinion and input.

20. eightangrybears

Ok all...Thanks for all the advice. I am about to buy the tires after a bunch of mulling and thinking and watching the flat spot on my rear tire get wider and wider and am about to pull the trigger. I was just about to hit "Purchase" on the PR2s and then I rechecked this thread one more time. Now I am seeing the Pilot Power instead. Tough call. Both look like great tires and wear pretty well...ahhh...this is a pretty simple choice to make (mainly because I have to make it every couple of months) but I think I am going to go with the PR2s...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help (to people that provided it, that is). Ride on!