Best kids size dirt bike?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by tbones86, Jun 28, 2007.

1. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    What in anyones opinion is the best kids size dirt bike; the wife has given me the green light to buy dirt bikes for the boys. I will be looking for a 6, 9 & 13 yr olds none of which have had any riding experience yet. Price is a concern but I want quality, I've looked @ some of the China made Honda knock offs & am not impressed w/ the quality. I can see maybe for the 6 yr old but not the other two. Used CR, YZ & KX's 60-80cc bikes are reasonable but I know from my past just how damn fast a 80cc race bike is. Never had experience w/ the KX60 thinking maybe ok for the 9 yr old?? My 13 yr old could handle an 80 but I don't know if it big enough for him frame wise & I don't know if a 125 would to much for him or too tall. Most of the 4 stroke trail bikes KLX, DRZ, TTR & XRs would be ideal but the money is steep yet on most of these. I'd like to be able to pick up three bikes for under $2000. Any one w/ an opinion or recommendation on the subject fire away:lever:

I suppose I'll have to buy myself another off road ride too, just sold the two I had last year:doh:

2. jenkins

jenkins New Member

It really depends on the size of your offspring, but you should get them a decent engine size so it will last them a couple years of learning. I'm 16, and my dad taught me on this underpowered 100cc bike that bottoms out every time I hit a slight bump. I would also advise buying them four strokes because no one rides two strokes anymore. Two strokes are also pretty torque y usually. I've heard people say that you want your feet to be flat on the ground which I agree with, but others say keep the balls of the feet down. I hope my jumbled message helps.

3. 0725thvfr

0725thvfr New Member

My 5 year old daughter rides a Yamaha PW50 with an FMF Powercore 2 pipe, govenor removed and training wheels and loves it.

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Since your kids are beginners, the last thing you want is a 2-stroke. It would be the worst thing you could give them. The 60s, 80s and 125s have no bottom end at all and put out all their power when they're pinned. Besides, the cost of maintenance would soon outweight the initial cost savings.

Also, I would not buy a cheap knock off. Reliability and parts will be an issue. Look for a good used brand name and focus on the 4-stroke trail bikes. I raced MX for many years and now I trail ride with my son. He started out on a CRF50 and is now on a CRF70. These bikes are very user friendly for new riders and are very reliable as well.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I second the no 2 stroke starter. It's just too big a hassle to learn on. A 4 stroke trail bike is ideal XR, old XL honda, KLX Kawasaki, DR suzuki. The smallest should prob start on a 50. Unfortunately most 50s are automatics. That makes you have to re-learn to ride when you move up to a 70 or 80. With the ages of your boys, I'd stay in those size ranges, except for the 13 yr old. The 13 yr old, I'd start on the small bike to get used to sifting take off etc, and when he gets used to the general idea, then get him a 100 or 125. If you do go with a 2 stroke, go with a KDX or similar instead of KX, CR, RM, or YZ, and the gearing will be a little more forgiving. Those racebikes just want you to stay in the powerband or you'll foul plugs a lot.

You can find old XL 70s or XR 80s sometimes for less than 1000. If you buy new, the Yamaha TT 110 looks like a good bike for the 13 yr old.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/362301358.html <---- but that's after he gets comfortable as it has enough power to keep him busy for a little while
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/361683063.html
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/361406139.html

I know you are not close to me, but I thought I'd send you some pics...

6. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    We sold the hell out of the Yamaha product and it was superb, we didn't have Honda though! I would go PW50 for the little one and The TT line has gotten pretty good with electric start etc.. You can't beat Honda either its just a bit more pricey.

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    When I raced MX, I ran Hondas, so I grew up with them. MX really puts a beating on the equipment and I never had a problem. As a brand, a Honda will cost you more, but you can have peace of mind that you have a quality and durable product. This is the reason why I am brand loyal.