Best lift for our bikes?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by RotaryRocketeer, Apr 23, 2015.

1. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Does anyone know of a good lift/stand that can get the wheels off the ground for maintenance? I'm looking to do a lot of front end work very soon and I don't think a conventional bike jack will cut it. Taking the headers off every time I want to lift it seems silly, and I don't imagine lifting it on the headers would be a very good thing either.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I use the PitBull convertible front end stand.You can lift the front by the forks, or by the steering stem. I put the bike on the centerstand, then lift the front end with the PitBull. Works great for 99% of the front end work I do. Obviously it won't work if you're replacing steering head bearings. :potstir:

3. kwebster888

kwebster888 New Member

I use an ABBA lift from Bluestreak racing check their website, lifts both wheels off the ground.

Kool

4. RotaryRocketeer

FJ: When I say "front end work", what I really mean is removal and replacement with a more modern unit. So lifting by either the forks or the stem would be futile.

kwebster: I've come across those in my search. They look pretty great and the video inspires confidence in their fit and function. The only question is, does it lift the bike far up far enough for front end removal?

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    +1 for ABBA stand:
    [​IMG]
    Just used it for front tire change. You can get tire 5-6" off ground with rear on the ground, or any balance in-between. Check out video at www.bluestreakracing.ca

6. RotaryRocketeer

Awesome! I'm not sure why I was worried about height. I realized that with the tire off, I'll have room to do whatever I want. Duh.

7. amanda11270

amanda11270 New Member

I just completely restored my 86 vfr700 and I supported the whole bike with my Genie Materials Lift from above by the frame and the rear subframe, I had both tires off, forks, swingarm all at once. A very handy thing to have.

8. woody77

woody77 New Member

United States
    Map
    I've found that a conventional automotive jack will fit between the headers, and with a block to protect the surface, you can jack from there. Then stabilize from above with straps through the frame. That's how I ended up doing my steering-stem bearings, and when I had the forks off for service.

9. RotaryRocketeer

You're talking about a warehouse-type dolly/lift, right? That's pretty ingenious if so. I've got a retired one sitting in my warehouse right now with faulty electronics, but the lift assembly is operated by a hand crank. Should be perfect!!!!!!

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
  11. RotaryRocketeer

Talking about a good chunk of change for that huh? Not to mention the shipping cost. Sweet though!

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I've seen those commercials.....stupid rich.....are you the guy, or the gal that likes sports?

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I have a hydraulic floor jack too, on the gen 8's there didn't appear to be enough clearance between headers, I do not have a garage, and have limited storage space, jacking platforms are more expensive, bigger and much heavier. Abba stand comes apart and requires very little storage space. There are many solutions if you have the room and the facility to strap it to something solid. I felt the $299, no tax, no shipping was reasonable. I am by no means rich, retired, living on limited income, got to make do with what I got.

14. ThatVF500Guy

ThatVF500Guy New Member

Map
    Do you have a center stand? In poorer days, I have done the front and back wheels by putting the bike on the centerstand. I use a piece of plywood underneath with hooks in it for tie down straps. The plywood is about 7ft x 3 ft so it is plenty stable.
    Cheap and easy, just how I like 'em!

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Great idea.

16. RotaryRocketeer

No center stand on my '86. I'm just going to use the material lift that I have sitting unused at work.

17. THRASHED

THRASHED New Member

United States
    Map
    On an 87 it looks like the oil pan (cast aluminum) should be plenty stout enough to support the bike. My plan is to slip a couple of pieces of wood between the headers, screw them to a 3/4" piece of plywood and use my M/C jack to get it up high enough to pull both wheels (one trip for tires, hopefully). Any thoughts on this?