Bike Collection update

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by straycat, Sep 6, 2019.

1. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Since I don't post anyplace else here, I figured id share here. Sold my RGV250, RG250 and soon to leave is my RZ350. I replaced them with a 88 Hawk GT647 (20,000km) truly immaculate, a 2000 Ducati 748 (10,000km) and a 2000 VTR1000 Firestorm (14,000 km). Ducati is the next project it was a good price but needs a few cosmetic, cam belts and valve adj check, VTR1000 was an absolute steal, low mileage and 100% original, needs nothing. I also have a pocket full of cash after all that buy/sell so I can go shopping again :) . I've actually owned this Hawk before, I bought it back IMG_3509.jpg P1100845.jpg P1090901.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Samuel and Boomtank like this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Cool acquisitions!!!!

Rode a buddy's VTR1000F a few times and loved it. He burned two exhaust valves on that bike before trading it in. Well... technically I guess I burned one of them. Really it just happen to go when I was riding it home from an event. I had to keep the throttle about half open at lights while throwing 5 foot flames out the exhaust. Apparently it was quite the sight at night. He said, "Fuck it, just get it home." So I did. I know there are a lot of them and they are pretty damn resilient. He just has that kinda luck with stuff.

Been looking at GTs lately too. They can be expensive now for decent ones. For the most part I see $$$$ when I think about how I would want to modify one. Almost bought one a few times. I remember when everyone thought, "WTF?". Kinda like the GB500. I do have another oddball from that era, The CB-1. I guess another one too, NX125.

Anyway, cool stuff!!!!
    Mike.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  3. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    The CB1 is a beauty, ive been keeping an eye out for one, most are butchered here.

VTR's are pretty reliable, the common mod is to replace the Cam Chain tensioners with manual ones, they fail apparently. Reg Rec too.

I paid $3000 CAD for the GT, I have all the oem signals and mirrors for it as well

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Not the best pic. Wanted it to look like Honda offered it in this color. 94 VFR red with a touch more gold flake.
    [​IMG]
    Frame up re-furb.

Boomtank likes this.
  5. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Nice !

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    except for an m v agusta i sat on once, the ducati 748 is the most UNcomfortable bike i ever rode, but Hawks are golden and very enjoyable +easy to maintain.

018_18hkside7%a.jpg

7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Squirrelman, re the Ducati, yep, cant argue with that comment at all, its hands down and arse in the air. Ass is higher than your hands, your laying on the tank. Its not much more than a 30 minute bike I think. steering lock to lock is far less than any bike ive owned, you have to lean it to turn anywhere. But .....it sounds fantastic, looks beautiful, and im looking forward to pouring the onions to it once I get her finished

8. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map

That is awesome!! I am actually kind of in the same boat! I am looking to trade my 1990 MC21 NSR250 that is basically all done up for something more full size like an early-mid 90's VFR or an older DUc, etc. Nice job!

9. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    IMG_3331 (2).jpg I'm also very partial to the VTR, I've had a 1997 for about 4 years, looks great from about 10 feet away but the bodywork is not the best. My bike was originally sold in Japan and then imported used to New Zealand, so it had a speed restrictor fitted for 180km/hr, fortunately easy to defeat (and honestly not a riding restriction for most uses). My bike has nearly 90,000km on it and I fitted manual camchain tensioners, a refurbed Ohlins shock and Racetech fork parts, and then also added CBR954 brakes as I thought the originals a bit lame. Bought some gutted stock mufflers so it has a nice deep bark. Goes like a good 'un, fun to ride and a little antisocial.

10. RS125

RS125 New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice collection! Hawks are awesome! I had one about ten years ago. F2 frontend, Two Bros pipe, modded airbox. Fun bike
    almost bought this one before I got the VFR

Built motor, GSXR front end, Rear CBR shock, jetted, Dyno tune. Would of made a great track bike. But I got the VFR
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, if I keep this Firestorm ill be putting MCT on it too. Likely I just flip it in spring though.