bike taking forever to start!!! need help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by herbvfr705f, Apr 16, 2008.

1. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

Well i own a 1994 vfr750f. the previous owner let it sit over winter and the dummy put seafoam in the gas thinking it would preserve the fuel. well i drained the fuel and put new gas in it but it still has trouble starting in the morning. It takes me atleast 3 or 4 times to get it running and i have to leave the choke on for atleast 5 minutes to be ready to ride. I am going to put new spark plugs in it and hope that helps it but what else could it be? I am looking for any help i can get. Also does removing the snorkel really help the bike run better? i have heard many people doing it so i am going to do it tomorrow. Also what do you all think of the avon storm tires. I am installign them on the bike and would like all of your opinions. But i know opinions are like a**holes everyones got one. LOL thanks for all the help everyone.:blah: :blah:

2. ASSCLOWN

ASSCLOWN New Member

Your carbs are all gummed up. You need to take your carbs off the bike, remove/clean all of the jets/orifices with carb cleaner. Pretty much, you need to spray everything internal with carb cleaner and let it soak if possible. You may need to use something small (like a needle) to clear some of the orifices if they are clogged bad. Also check your fuel filter...as it is probably clogged/no good as well.

3. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

What he said :nod:

I kind of did the same last winter and did not start the bike frequently.
    I did not put seafoam in the tank. I just let it sit for the winter.
    I paid dearly for that mistake.
    Now I know better.

4. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    i would have to agree with above statements. however i would go ahead and just do the plugs first to see. i replaced mine before i took it out this year and they were really bad. i even fired it up a couple times over the winter and they still got what looked to be a gas varnish on them. this seemed to keep it from wanting to run good. i would have to startt and even with the chokeit would hardly idle. all i did was plugs and she runs like a champ. if you do yours the manual says you can get the rear plugs with just the side fairings off. but for the 5 minutes it takes to get the gas tank off it makes it soooo much easier on the back two. plus while the tank is off i too out the air filter and checked the carbs and the slides for the carbs. luckily 4 me all was well. best of luck!

5. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Even after a thorough carb cleaning, my '96 is still pretty cold blooded.

She likes to be run on the choke for about 2-3 minutes before you can give her any gas. Once the idle has "settled up" to about 3500-4000, I can ride away.

Sometimes, even after a recent ride, I still need to do this.

6. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

hey v4pwr i am origanally from ohio up northeat of you in a town called geneva or ashtabula. Any of those ring a bell? Thanks for everyones help

7. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Do the easy stuff first like v4pwr stated.

Remove the gas tank and check your air filter element. Then check you spark plugs.

It may be something that easy.

BZ

8. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    yep ashtabula is about 45min to an hour depending on how you drive. heard of geneva but i have never been to either place, just passed them when on trips. not many viffers in this area to ride with, hope its better where you live.
    im glad you were able to get out of ohio.:pout:

9. Mike13

Mike13 New Member

Map
    v4pwr, where in cleveland do you live? i am on the east side in Lyndhurst / Beachwwod.

10. v4pwr

v4pwr New Member

Map
    im actually in brookpark, a suburb. i use cleveland just for generallity( if thats an actual word). i work in bedford so i kind of know where your at . been to the mall before on cedar rd. when it gets a little nicer send a message if you want and we can meet up for a ride.

herbvfr705f, sorry for the off topic chat

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  11. MarkBartels

MarkBartels New Member

Some have had luck dumping SeaFoam in the fuel, running it and then letting it sit overnight. Of course makes for sense to do this with fresh fuel. Also at the end on the riding season if you put in 91 octane (if you don't already) and Stabil you will have better luck as the 91 octane does contain ethanol which is rumoured to break down much faster.

On another note how cold was it when you started the bike? My 94 is quite cold blooded and even with a mid 40's morning will require full choke and a warm up period of about 2 minutes before even thinking of turning off the choke fully. In the two minute period however it does require the choke to be "turned down" gradually. In the 30's the bike becomes as reluctant to start as I am in the morning!

12. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
    Hi, message for Herb vfr. I had a similar problem with my VFR. First, Be sure spark plugs are ok and air filter clean. Then, fresh gasoline. Add 2 naphthalene balls (pure naphtalene 100%) in the ratio 2 balls/5 liters. Run in order to use all the gasoline. Then new gasoline. Naphtalene is not dangerous for your engine, respect the proportion. Better if before introducing napht. balls in the tank you reduce naphthalene as a powder. I tried on my VFR 750 (87) and carbs are working with an impeccable idle and without carb "holes". let us know the outcome...
    Lamps, Carmine

13. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

are those basically mothballs. I have never heard of those at all. please inlighten

14. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Poor ole girl probably just has an upset tummy :preggers:...I would say give'r two tablespoons of Pepto-Bismal and put her to bed early! :sleep:

15. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
    mothballs...

Yes,
    if you smell a commercial cleaner for carb/ignition system (stp...or similar) you'll find that it smells like mothballs (naphthalene...). Basically, it is a product derived from chemical benzene formula..i.e. somethingh that belongs to the hydrocarbures "family". Never mind, it is absolutely compatible with every type of gasoline. Great cleaning power and very low cost ! No problems at all but it is necessary to respect the ratio napht./liters of gasoline.
    And I did it on my VFR ! Also, no problems with carburettors rubbers or gaskets. I know that this product is also used for diesel engines as it lowers the icing point for this type of gas (in winter). Someone told me that it acts as an octane booster but I'm not sure of this. One thing I'm sure of, that if you have such problems try this ! Not expensive and inoffensive system.
    Let me know. May be this is the solution you are looking for.
    Last, I beg your pardon if my english is far from being perfect. I hope you'll undersrtand me.
    Do you know how german soldiers could fill their BMW motorcycles tanks during the campaign of Russia (WWII?) BY means of a mixture of mineral oils with naphtalene balls they had for diesel trucks....!!!! Ciao, Carmine

16. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
    mothballs...

May be Derstuka will like this story about german motorcycles since his nickname derives from a german WWII Airplane....History teaches..
    Lamps to USA VFR Guys from Italy.
    Carmine.

17. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

what part of italy are you from? My younger brother lived in italy for three years and spent alot of time in milan and gorizia and rho and parma and modena. He loved it and in the first two months he was there he learned the italian laguage and speaks it fluently to this day and that was almost 2 years ago he went there. He is going back in october to visit with his wife. Anyways thanks i will try that. So just plain mothballs will do the trip an they will disipate in the gas right. Sorry for so may questions

18. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
    From...

I live in Naples (Italy). So, if someone of your family will go around...post a message. I'm sure your brother liked to stay in Gorizia, Rho and so on : nice places but in the northern Italy. I live in the deep south (with a nice wife from France) and a nice VFR !!!! Lamps and ciao !
    Carmine.

19. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

so i changed the oil and put in two new spark plugs in the rear seeing how i could get to them at the time. Well when i pulled one of the plugs it had no gap in it. I mean nothing. so i put in the new plugs and i also decided to installed led taillights. well i installed them and kept blowing the 10 amp fuse for the turn signals and also for the tail lamp. Is there something i am doing wrong. i umped the amperage to 20 for both fuses and not problems what soever. Anyways thanks for the help

20. herbvfr705f

herbvfr705f New Member

so i changed the spark plugs and changed the fuel filter and also cleaned the air filter and the bike is still surging. I also ran some cleaner thru the gas and that helped a little but i am still surging and not holding a steady idle. I am going to get the carbs synced on thrusday so we will see how that turns out