Blinkers acting up

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Cakedaddy, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Cakedaddy

Cakedaddy New Member

United States
    New to me 2007 seems to be having blinker issues. As I'm coming to a turn, I hit my blinker to indicate the turn, but they don't come on. I try again, and again. They don't stay on. Then, as I slow down more, they start working on their own. They work through the turn until I turn them off.

Is this by design to help prevent blinkers being on when they don't need to be? I wouldn't think so as maybe I'm at speed and want to change lanes.

I don't think this was happening when I first got it or for the first handful of rides. Only noticing it on the last couple. Maybe it's always been that way? I've only had it a few weeks.

First, is this normal and correct behavior I'm just not used to? Or, if it's not, any idea what might be happening?

Thanks!

2. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    No its not normal behaviour. There is no auto type of mode or speed detection operation with turn signals on a 6gen.

The most common cause of issues with turns signals is the turn switch caused by dirty contacts. Try spraying some switch cleaner/lubricant like CRC 2-26 or WD-40. Give the slot in the switch a good squirt and exercise the switch. See if this makes a difference.

Failing this you may need to confirm the switch action with a multimeter. And that power and ground is good at the Turn Relay. And lastly it may also be the relay itself is playing up.
    Also important that all turn signal globes front and rear are functional and the correct wattage.

Also have you tried placing the bike on its center stand, operate the blinkers and turn the steering full left and right? Might hi lite a loose connection or broken wire.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  3. 50th VFR

50th VFR New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Have indicators or bulbs been replaced with LED units but still running on original flasher relay ?

4. Cakedaddy

Cakedaddy New Member

United States
    I do not know. I would guess no as the previous owner didn't mention it. But maybe he didn't because they were causing issues! I'll put this on the list of things to dig into.

Thanks