BMW S1000RR - An entertaining Review of BMWs new 2015 S1000rr

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by John451, Feb 17, 2015.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    An entertaining if a little long review of the 2015 S1000rr.

The reviewer who sounds like Jez from the UK Comedy the Peep Show agreed with much with what a mate said about it on his test ride last week, my mate picks up his on Friday replacing his HP4. Check out the reviewers mad filtering, had thought I knew how to filter but this is at a completely new level.

" Its beautiful, it's such a beautiful bike to ride "
    [video=youtube;dBLLn8OGzeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBLLn8OGzeM[/video]

2. jimlowe

jimlowe New Member

Interesting,he certainly take some chances, as for the bike do you need or more to he point can you use 200bhp on a bike,dont think so!

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I liked the use of sign language for the benefit of the folks who are challenged in that manner. Or maybe the dude is Italian?

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    No-one needs 200hp on the street but I'm glad I could still buy one if I wanted to. I'd riden my mates HP4 and found on a personal level I'd preferred his earlier K1300S due to its locomotive like midrange, the new RR has improved midrange torque so am interested to see if my opinion changes.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    A friend bought one recently, said low and mid range is greatly improved and much more street friendly. Has not had it to the track yet. Another friend had one a couple of years ago working mostly of a new rear link and tripple tree off set but did some work on the fueling issues. Said it was a beast but you had to wring its neck. He has since moved on the the new Kawasaki zx 10 and is very impressed with the build he has done with it. He works for a company the does a lot of race development and is not easily impressed. A lot of race/track day guys on here probably know him. works for Dan Kyle.

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    At least the new S1000rr looks less like Colonel Klink. :wink:

[​IMG]

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Looks to me like that bike really goes through tires in a hurry.

8. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Probably but that's also expected, interestingly mates one has Bridgstones ( ? ) but the one he test rode had Metzeler M7rrs.

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I never liked the Picasso look on the Beemers. They will roast tires for sure.

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You have to wonder how many tire threads are on the S100RR forums! :wink:
    Although the looks are odd to say the least, it is one hell of a sport bike. Before the 2015 Yamaha R1 MotoGP inspired bike, the BMW was on the the top of my list of liter bikes to look at, well if I was to buy a liter machine. I'm happy with what I got for now though.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I too would take a long look at the NEW BMW, its a much better bike than its predecessor. Also look at the ZX 10 though, I think with a little work it can be even easier to hustle around the track at better times. A good friend works for Dan Kyle and has built a beat of a ZX. He has done a lot of BMW's the last 3-4 years but he is raving about the Kawi. There is a BMW forum on Dan's site. I'm not on it but they have done a lot of R&D on that platform. Lots of hard data too with all sorts of parts. I have been to their shop.....drooling all the way. More high end parts there than probably anywhere in the US. I think they built 5 AMA championship winners there. http://www.kyleusa.com/ But I'm just going to keep my old 06 CBR 1k, she's down to 420 lbs, still runs strong and has a very well sorted suspension. Held up well through the years. I have only tossed her down the track once, my fault of coarse. I knew my valving on the Ohlins was shot but I pushed it and washed the front in turn 1 on some hard trail braking. Frame and axel sliders go a long way when they work properly and don't flip the bike. Just had to bend the shifter back and throw on a Vortex peg and got to do 2 more sessions. I thought of taking the VFR to the track but I think I will keep her spirited rides to the mountains, a lot less expensive than getting a couple of track days out of a set of tires and god forbid if you layed her down. Uh oh, I'm getting that go fast itch and spring is coming.
    Have you been reading about Moto GP and WSBK? Going to be a fun season.

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah, I have a subscription to MotoGP. Definitely looking forward to 2015!

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Does the GP subscription get you WSBK too? If not is there a discount for both?
    Thanks

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Don't thinks so, I have to pay 12 extra for bINsports fer WSB...directv

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah Duc thats where I watch WSBK too, I was thinking of getting the GP subscription this year and if they had a package deal I probably would get it. If I'm traveling for work and can't watch I have them recorded but it is near impossible not to hear the results with some of the friends I have. "How about a spoiler alert Mother F*****!"

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

No, the WSBK cost 68.90 Eu for a year or 14.90 Eu/month. I have not seen a package deal, but then again I just have my subscription on auto renewal so I never looked to see. I did get an email notifying me of the WSBK subscription being available, which is where I got the pricing from. I also get beIN sports on DirecTV but keep forgetting about WSBK.

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    WSBK last year was excellent racing, I would highly recommend it next year. There is actually a lot more "racing" in WSBK than GP. And the 600's get down right nasty.

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah, I just need to setup some reminders. I used to watch years ago and even went to a few races at Laguna Seca but somehow other interest got in the way.

Cheers

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    We were lucky enough to get out twice this weekend as my mate wants to build up the kms quick to the first service, Saturday we copped a bit of rain but Sunday was very nice.

Interesting observation, the 2015 S1000rr's stock exhaust may not look pretty but sounds better and meaner on the road than his previous HP4 did with a full Akrapovic exhaust with spud in.

[​IMG]

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Take out that baffle on the Akra and I bet you like it better. Pretty bikes there.