Boots or Pants??

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by zPix87, Apr 6, 2009.

1. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Gear wise, I'm set from the waist up. But I still have to ride in jeans and work boots...not a good combo safety (or looks) wise.

I'm currently saving up to fix this problem, but I don't have the money to get both at the same time.

Based on protection, which should I invest in first?

For reference, I can't spend more than $300 for both. Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. jay956

jay956 New Member

i would spend it all or most on boots. id say a broken ankle is worse than road rash on your legs.

3. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

^^^^^^^^^^
    I agree. You can get a freaking awesome pair of boots for $300 & they will probably last for a decade. For pants, you can get a pair for under $100 if you shop closeouts from various sites.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

4. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree get the boots then the pants.
    Are the boots for daily riding or for track or both? What type of pants to you want textile or leather?

you may be real close at getting a decent pair of of boots and pants for the $300 depending on what you are looking for. You can get a real decent set of boots for $200-225 from Sidi and a $90-145 pair textile pants or riding jeans. If you don't want a race type boot TCX has some daily boots in the $100-175. Most shops will give you free shipping over $100 and internet joints don't charge sales tax. You can stretch your dollar by doing some research and checking through closeouts.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    How do you ride? Do you need textile or leather? I found used Sidi boots for $100 and I got my leather pants new from newenough for $135ish. That's well under your mark. Have you looked on ebay? I sold my last riding boots for $40 used to a guy who was upgrading from work boots. They were scuffed and needed toe sliders, but they were better than his work boots.

6. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Thanks for the input guys! I was leaning that way, just needed conformation.

I'm definitely looking for a more street oriented boot with jeans or textile pants.

7. jay956

jay956 New Member

dont be turned off by a race style boot. i didnt think i would like them as much as my others, as far as comfort goes. but when i found the sidi vertigo corsa boots for $250 i couldnt pass them up. now i dont want to wear anything else (i have 2 other pairs). theyre really comfortable, even when walking around, and have tons of protection.

8. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

I'd say it depends on what kind of riding you do/intend to do and what kind of work boots you already have. I've got some hiking/work boots from Cabela's that offer better padding(not necessarily protection) than most of the sport/race boots I've looked at. I currently own a pair of Sidi Vertigo and they're nothing but a tough shell with a shin plate and heel plate(well they're made of a tough leather synthetic "Lorica" I believe)and look stupid under jeans(and my touring pants....not that looks should influence your decision the most or at all lol). Are you looking for leather or textile pants and whats the intended purpose?

If you've got good quality leather boots already that are above the ankle and have some decent padding in them, I'd say go for some pants. I dunno about you, but I think my knees will hurt more than my feet if I go down in sturdy leather work boots wearing jeans...(OUCH!!!) I've seen way too many pictures of knee caps ground down by asphalt because the rider was wearing jeans.

I vote pants first.(if you're boots are decent)

One pair of 3 boots I have in my rotation(can't have too many..dry feet are happy feet!...and not stinky either...another plus!)

Regular Hikers Link

[​IMG]

Steel Toe Hikers Link
    - ~$90 - What I have. Have had them for 9 years and they work great. Been through a few insoles though :wink: Bought these for mowing boots after a push mowing accident(No joke, broke my big toe completely in half with a 1/4" cut into the bone- still there, index toe(?real name) was shattered into 5 pieces at the tip and broke in half mid-way down. I have everything but a pretty toe nail on the index toe still there, thankfully. I'll never wear tennis shoes for mowing again.)

Sidi Vertigo Boots ~$275- I don't wear these much...they are way too narrow for my Jolly Green Giant feet. But they offer great protection...yet not really any padding. The real advantages of these boots are the lack of bulk, replaceable sliders/shin plates, and increased feel with them. For street cruising they're not my favorite. For tight twisties...maybe. For the track, definitely.

[​IMG]

First Gear HT Air 2.0 "mesh" Overpants
    ~$175 - I have these for mild weather. They are partial mesh but have tough cordura in high abrasion areas as the seat and knees. You definitely need to add better knee/hip paddin($40 bucks for everything)

[​IMG]

You definitely don't want to be these guys:

F*ck wearing jeans alone...you're nuts!
    [​IMG]

Tennis shoes...HELL NO! And once again..NO JEANS.
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, this poor fellow was riding his mountain bike and fell on a big rock...sounds a lot like asphalt to me... YUCK!
    [​IMG]

9. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

10. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

Thats what I thought at first, but my boots are crap. Really cheap and they're getting worn out.

The pictures above definitely make one want to buy pants though...

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
  12. Natas

Natas New Member

I use Joe Rocket Sonic boots and BALLISTIC 7.0 pants. The boots are a sport touring style and the pants are textile with armor. You can get both and be under your $300 limit. Both are very comfortable and offer very good protection. :thumbsup:

13. jay956

jay956 New Member

that can go the other way around too

[​IMG]

14. zPix87

zPix87 New Member

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Some of these socalled outlets and bargain onliners are not what they seem. Just looked on the one mentioned. My interest was not in pants or boots but a new pair of Held "Steve" gloves. Held usually has a booth at the CW shows but I missed the one in Seattle in 08. Smokin good deals. My old pair of Helds are about shot.

Sooo I go to this website and find they have Held gloves. The "Steves" are $159.99. Thats cool..great gloves.. I look on the Held site and guess what. Same gloves are 159 of my Yankee dollars and change. I look at one other sites and find the same gloves for 149 bucks and change.

A fair deal from the aformentioned?..Fair/OK Smoking good deal?.. Nope

It would also be great if these folks would put in plain English exactly what they mean by a 'shipping allowance". I was sort of reminded of some of the patter I have heard from guys in polyester suits with dandruff on the collars working the used car market.

Shop till ya drop!

16. TheSkeeter

TheSkeeter New Member

Map
    Pants. I'd rather have a broken bone over road rash any day. Plus, a tought pair of shoes will hold up better flopping down the road than jeans will sliding down the road any day. Grab a pair of textile overpants with pads in them off ebay for a good price. I picked up brand new Joe Rocket Ballistic 2.0 overpants for $80 plus shipping. I picked up new JR riding boots for $120. Go waterproof on both. There's no reason to spend $300 on JUST pants or JUST boots when you can get a good pair of both for $300, unless there's a brand or style you just HAVE to have.

Since you have nothing at the moment, I'd say safety would be paramount and just get a pair of both for $300 or less to reduce the risk of broken bones OR road rash. You can get nicer or more stylish stuff later down the road. Just my .02....

The next set of jeans I'm looking at getting is something like this: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Leather-...-Fit-Denim-Motorcycle-Racing-Pants/54746.html

17. jay956

jay956 New Member

hers what happened to my tour master textile pants when i went down at 45mph.

[​IMG]

i wasnt even on the road that long, maybe about 30ft, then i went into the woods. it burned right through the textile, if it wasnt for the hard shell knee armor i would have had big problems. (the had shell on the armore acted like a slider and kept my skin off the road)

i now wear leather as much as i can.

no doubt purpose made high quality textile riding pants are better than jeans though

18. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Don't let this sour your opinion of those pants. They did exactly what they were designed to do & I suspect you knew this all along. Most textile pants are normal thickness in the knees since there is usually some kind of armor under the knees. If whatever textile pant you are looking at or have doesn't have a reenforced seat, that's a sign for concern. Something all shoppers must be aware of is textile motorcycle garments are a 1 crash article. 90% of the time, they are going to wear thru in anything over a 20MPH crash.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

19. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

O.K. I did alittle research for you. On the New Enough Website there are the following buys:
    $125.00 Sidi Escape Boots. Leather. Click on Closeouts.
    $119.00 Sidi Champion Boots. Click on Closeouts.
    $195.00 - $209.99 Joe Rocket perforated leather sport pants. (I had to email for the price) - click on leather pants.
    $231.99-$247.99 - Joe Rocket pro street pants. (again - I emailed them for the price) click on leather pants.

And FYI - $267.99 Joe Rocket blaster perforated leather jacket. (I emailed).
    $159.00 Joe Rocket Blaster 3.0 Jacket. Click closeout and then bargin basement.

If they have your size - you've got boots and pants! I hope that helps.

20. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Those are new this year... Not sure too many people will have experience with them. Most shoes will be off your feet lickity-split. Those TCX look like they go far enough up the to cover the ankle and provide some armor to keep your ankle bone from getting sanded down. Better protection than Shoes and you will have a better feel for the controls than with work boots. It is a less expensive version of these.

Dainese Quito Leather Shoes - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com