Bought another

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by caddy425, Feb 10, 2022.

1. caddy425

caddy425 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Bought. 2015 new in 2015. Life got in the way traded in 2016 on another Honda. Well just got another 2015. Has most of what I want. But I want to lower it. Soupy suspension sells an adjustable lowering link. Anyone here have feedback? I know lowering the forks 10mm was popular on previous models. Anyone dropped the front end? Any feedback is appreciated

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hmm - why does that name trigger a feeling of concern?

Way, way back (sadly before the last forum overhaul so no longer available to link to) I recall one of our members survived a horrifying incident whilst riding her VFR on a Freeway when a lowering link snapped (on their 6th Gen?) and the rear of her bike suddenly dropped down resting onto the rear wheel. Amazingly the bike stayed upright and came to an abrupt rest against the outside lane barrier of the freeway with the rear tyre in shreds. There were a heap of photos on this forum at the time in an extensive thread but I think it was among a heap of stuff lost during the forum host change/revision. I suspect some of the older forum members will be better able to recall the details.

Anyway this resulted in the whole freeway being shut down to allow emergency responders to remove the damaged VFR and rescue the rider. So many years later I cannot be certain the manufacturer name quoted at the time is the same, or indeed if any later investigation identified that the component was a fake item.

However this does emphasise how critical any lowering link component can be to your safety, so if you go this route to lower your VFR you may want to look very closely at the quality of the metal in the component before fitting it.

SkiMad

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Agree. A couple of failures of an adjustable link on the Versys 1000 forum as well. With single links, I would hesitate to go this way and machine up a proper link closer in design to the original.

4. caddy425

caddy425 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Decided to go with different mounts. Safe option. Thanks

raYzerman likes this.