Bought my first bike

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Mynameisjeff, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Mynameisjeff

Mynameisjeff New Member

United States
    Map
    So just yesterday I picked up my first bike, an 86 vf500f. I love the way it looks however it does not run and was essentially hot wired to even get to turn over. I was told it would start without an issue it would not run because the CDI box "B" is bad. But I'd like to get the electrical sorted out first and if you guys could point me in the right direction for parts and any sort of diagrams that'd be awesome! Thanks in advance

Mind_Surfer likes this.
  2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Jeff and welcome to the Madhouse

It sounds like you will have fun getting that running without someone who knows the bike on hand - so it might be worth posting up your approximate location city/state is fine as that may prompt someone living nearby to offer help/advice especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge.

As for the bike this link should open as downloadable pdf for the bike and if you shoot to the end (its 200 pages plus in loads of languages) you will find wiring schematics.

Good luck - let us know how you get on and POST up some photos of your VF.

SkiMad

3. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    look on the site and/or web for a free downloadable manual. Hopefully, they're available. I've been able to find one for all 6 of my bikes online. That'll be some of the best money you will ever spend. I'd also recommend the "Honda Common Service Manual" .
    Try your local "Online Buy & Sell" site(s), Ebay, or a bike wrecker's, for VF500 parts.
    Were you going to get a key cut for the ignition? That might be a good place to start. Actually, it is not that expensive. After that, make sure you look in the tank, for rust, or bad fuel. I'd suggest fresh non- ethanol fuel. Then drain the carb bowls, at the very least. Maybe check the airbox for filter condition, or mouse nests, etc.. Put a good battery in it, as boosting is not the proper way. There are lots of posts on here about cleaning carb.'s, as well as a couple of people who will do it for you, for not much money. They can be a difficult thing to get properly cleaned, so the price they charge is worth it. I believe that is the most common issue with older bikes, the fuel system. Check the filter and fuel pump, if there is one.
    The 500 Interceptor is a very desireable bike, to me. Has that jewel of an engine. A lot of people think it is the best "First Gen." model. Good luck.

4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Jeff. I guess you feel mechanically inclined, so let us know how it goes.
    Pics por favor.

5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Jeff. I loved my VF500F. It was a great little bike and pointed me to bigger and better VFRs. Older metric bikes are a mine field of limited parts availability, savage, ham handed, previous owners and baked in first generation problems. Just saying. I hope you find the answers you seek.