Break-in for new bike - Recommendations?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by rvb5, Jul 13, 2010.

1. rvb5

rvb5 New Member

Canada
    Well, I took the plunge...bought a new (2008) VFR today, picking it up this weekend. After all these years, it's the first new bike I've purchased.

I know proper engine break-in is important for long life, optimal power, etc.. The dealer told me he'd review the process when I pick up, but in general said the recommendation is to ride it gently for the first 600 miles or so, keep speed below 60 mph, vary rpm but keep below v-tech range, etc.. I'll read the manual in detail once I pick up.

However, a friend of mine received very different advice from his mechanic when he purchased his CBR600 last year - he was told to ride it hard to achieve proper break-in. Others I know have also received that advice - perhaps it's bike dependent?.

For those who have owned and broken-in Gen 6 VFRs - what process did you follow? What would you recommend?

btw, I tried to find other threads related to this topic without much luck...if this is a repeat just point me to the other threads.

Robert

2. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    break in for the VFR, according to the 2006 manual, is only 300 miles. Be nice, not past 5000 RPM is what I believe it says.

3. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    No full throttle in any gear for the first hundred miles and keep it below 6000rpm. After that just vary your RPM's and speed. It's fine to take it into VTEC as long as you're not doing it with a cracked throttle. After all you're going to need to break-in the other 2 valves per cylinder. Same goes for speed, I wouldn't hesitate bringing it up to even 100mph as long as you're getting there slowly and working through the gears. The point being to get the valves to seat properly. Which for me, has always meant to break it in a similar fashion to how you'll be riding it in the future, less the heavy dose of throttle. After 100 you can start to get more aggressive but not too much. After your first oil change at 600 miles open it up and ride as you normally would.

Another thing to think about that the book won't mention is an earlier oil change, say at 250 miles and then a second change at the recommended 600 miles. Most of the debris in the oil will occur in that first several hundred miles. Some do it, some don't.

Congrats on your new machine.

4. snowcrossmxz

snowcrossmxz New Member

there are 2 schools of thought on this, and both seem to work well and not have any problems down the road.

1) follow the book
    go easy for the first 5-600 miles

2)
    drive it hard the first 50 miles. i mean hard. hammer it, red line it in the first 30 miles. then change the oil after 300 miles.
    the idea here is to build high cylinder pressure to set the rings early. it is said that doing this will help keep higher compression down the road.
    this si also what i did on most my bikes. and i do have the same psi in all the pistons 30k miles later. but then again, i also did it by the book on my very first bike. and that bike is still going strong at 15k miles.

racers and tuners will usually tell you to use #2
    the dealer will always tell you to follow the book, because well, its the book and they have to follow honda protocol.

you will get both answers here on this forum, or any forum. both procedures work well. so its basically your choice.

i have used both procedures and they have both worked well for me. i like #2 because i enjoy hammering it, and i don't have to wait for the 6-800 to have fun :)

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I followed the book to the letter. It was qritten by those who designed the bike. As far as the oil changes go, you can never change the oil too iften, and to change it earlier that suggested for its first oil change certainly does make some sence. If it makesa a difference or not, who knows. I didn't do this.

Mine is an 06 that was still in the crate when I bought it in August 06. It now has over 103,000 km in it. That would be about 65,000 miles give or take. And mine runs persfect.

BTW, the book tells you what fuel to run. Any higher and you are supporting big business like they have become accustomed to.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Out of curiosity: If you break it in as suggested in #2, and later have a problem, do dealers have the ability to check the on board computer to see what kind of RPM's you were hitting, and then potentially deny any warranty claim?

7. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    In my opinion those engineers at Honda get paid a lot for a reason...

8. warrenjrose

warrenjrose New Member

Map
    Is it the engineers or the lawyers... Can you imagine the lawsuit from people riding over their heads trying to "break in" a bike? Most dealers that support race teams will break bikes in on a dyno using Method #2.

I've heard of excellent luck using both techniques. The one thing people agree on is either pamper it or spank it hard, none of this in between stuff.

9. snowcrossmxz

snowcrossmxz New Member

im a fan of spanking ...

10. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I think we are talking about break in of a motorcycle, not what you do by yourself :tongue:

11. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    You make the call! Basically follow the book. Vary the RPMs do not sit at the same RPM range in any one gear etc. Change the oil at 300 miles most of mtg debris will be flushed out at that point. Some dealers offer your first change for free but they will just put sh&t in it.
    So basically Kind a bit of both styles of break in.

I just rode it. Varied the RPM range etc. I have 24K on mine.

Now go research oil and tires. Hehehe....

12. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    All things considered, congratulations on the new bike!

:cheersaf:

13. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Its a personal preference these days. There are three things going on with an engine break-in. Rings are getting seated, valves are getting seated, and any leftover metal from machining and assembly is getting flushed out along with those created during break-in.

In the old days this was difference because things were not machined to the tolerances they are today or worse yet.... not machined at all. The term break-in came from the time when rod bearings were literally poured in place (hence the term poured bearings). These had to wear into tolerance levels before being stressed. Now we have machined two piece bearings in place of this and thousands of other parts that are machined within thousandths of an inch. Very little break-in is required due to this.

I'm personally a fan of riding it like you stole it and having to outrun the police chopper. I will take it easy the first 20-30 miles which is usually the trip home and maybe a trip to town. After that I'll change the oil and filter to remove a majority of the metal that has contaminated the engine. Then I treat things as if I've owned it for years with the exception of changing the oil twice more before 1k miles, and make the switch to synthetic before 4k hits the odometer.

14. Ripper

Ripper New Member

Map
    +1 Ride it like you Stole it. Every motor I've built has had that method and they all ran like a champ.

15. rvb5

rvb5 New Member

Canada
    Thanks for the info everyone, as well as the congratulatory messages (on buying the bike). Both the sales person (who's been riding for 30 years), and the head mechanic at the Honda dealer recommended the "gentle" approach. Given I have a bit of a conservative side, I decided to follow their recommendations.

I'll admit the ride home (60 miles) was tough - that is tough to ride such a great bike slow. But in a week or two I'll be opening it up. Then the fun will begin:biggrin: