Breakin in a new 6th Gen

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by DANIMAL, Nov 9, 2008.

1. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

JBzRedVFR,
    just got a new bike. his honda dealer told him to stay out of the vtec for the first 1000miles. how are you gonna breakin those other two valves if you don't use em.
    my dealer told me to keep it under 60 MPH for the first 600 mi. but to work through the entire RPM range. and short bursts above 60 MPH are fine.
    What were you told (new owners) and what do yall think a proper breakin would be?
    you guys are why we come to this forum so lets hear some opinions.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Page222 - Owners Manual

"For the first 300 miles avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration"

This is the third part of the VFR forum axis of evil: VTEC - Oil - Break In.

First I installed a magnet band around the oil filter. I also changed the oil after the first 100 miles and installed a magnetic drain plug, was mellow on the throttle for the first 300 miles, not exceeding 5k rpm's, changed the oil again, then increasing the rpm by 500 rpms for each additional 50 miles up to 500 miles, then no more than 8k for short bursts until I hit 1k miles. Changed the oil a third time at 1K, at this point I switched from dino oil to amsoil full synth. I didn't take it on the highway and drone with it until I hit 1k miles. I was also very careful to completely heat cycle the motor the first 500 miles.

The reason I changed the oil 3 times before a 1K is because that is the time period where the motor internals will generate the most amount of metal and clutch debris as things are initially meshing together. The orifices are small that lead to the VTEC solenoid and I wanted as little metal particles as possible to reach the vetc solenoid, crank and cam bearings or contaminating the clutch pack. The stock motor was dyno tuned at roughly 1200 miles.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. Gears

Gears New Member

My dealer didn't tell me anything. :wink:
    When the bike was warmered up and had 25 miles on it I started riding it hard enough to get into vtec rpm range. By ther time it had 100 miles I was on it as hard as possible. :smile:

The bike runs great, doesn't use any oil, and I'm sure it will still be running strong :strong: when I'm too old to ride it.

I don't understand how anyone can have the self control to do a break in and not give into the temptation to get on it. This is especilly true when there is no proof that a easy break in is good for the bike and a strong arguement can be made that it is in fact bad for it.

4. Mikonovich

Mikonovich New Member

Dealer told me, day one, to ride it. Nothing special, just ride it like you're going to ride it. Just had the 600 and no problems were reported.

Mike

5. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    I was told no hard starts but to varry the rpms. didn't push it to red line but did hit the v-tech threshold.

6. navymed97

navymed97 New Member

I was told not to baby her. Just make sure I get the 500 mile chain brakes done and 600 everything done. I don't red line her as I can feel her power band waining to shift before that. I don't even red line my bimmer! the only time I ever red line anything is if I'm drifting! I'm @ around 950 miles now and she's purrin pretty, starting to growl a little more and I so love that power band!

oh and my gas milage has gone up slightly.

The dealer that I baught my 07 from has an 03 and told me how he broke his in and from reading upteen amounts of forums on breaking in procedures 90% of them say don't baby her. Ride like you normally ride and keep up on maintance.

7. emptyskull

emptyskull New Member

Map
    When I got mine I started it held throttle wide open bouncing of rev limiter, dumped the clutch and ran it until it hit the rev limiter in 6th gear. Then did about 50 wheels and quarter mile runs. Got it real hot to see if it would stall the fan was running the whole time and basically went as fast as I could everytime I got on it until I got to 600 miles. Now I just ride it slow and smoothe not to wear it out. The book says change oil at 8k but I think I can go to 11k considering I get it so hot it boils out all the debrie. good luck..

8. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

You must have a true following here on VFR World, eh? :bs:

9. NOLA VFR

NOLA VFR New Member

Map
    Has this been a problem with other VTEC rides (cars and bikes)?

10. CUL8TER

CUL8TER New Member

Map
    My dealer said the exact same thing to just ride it like your going to ride it.

11. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe the dealers are telling you to ride it like normal so they can get the repair bills down the road... Do you really think the dealer has your best interest at heart? Just a thought! :biggrin:

12. 6pack

6pack Banned

yes what he said sounds like you are gonna have fun with the new ride

13. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    I was told basically the same thing. I think dealers tell us to keep it below 6K for liability purposes. If somebody who is not "savvy" hits it on a new bike and crashes, they "might" sue the dealer saying that the dealer didn't warn him. By telling riders to keep it under 6K for the first 600mi., if something happens, they can say that their advice was to keep it below 6K and the guy obviously didn't follow their advice. Just MHO.

14. Gears

Gears New Member

+1

I've always felt that break in period was more for the rider than the bike.

15. NOLA VFR

NOLA VFR New Member

Map
    My dealer said esentially the same thing - ride it normally - vary rpms - etc. My dealer may not have my best interest at heart but his shop hasn't had to rebuild a motor from normal wear and tear or poor break in for a decade or more. His machine equipment is stuffed in the back corner.

16. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Changed The Oil.

Well, I now have 149 miles on my bike. I decided to go ahead and change the oil early, and am glad I did. When it drained, I swear it looked like chocolate milk with fine metallic glitter floating in it. I've been varying the engine RPM's and have tapped into the VTEC maybe twice, but have been self-disciplined enough to treat her right.

I am hoping to meet up with NOLA VFR and his better-half this weekend, either on Sat. or Sun., for a day-trip ride/tour away from the city. It's time to hit the stretched pavement and put some relaxed miles on my new Ride!

17. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

Maybe they had that trendy new Castrol "glitter" oil to give it some style?

:vader:

18. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

I'll bet that stuff would glow in the dark. :party2:
    There's no telling what's on the first internal layer of these engine blocks?

19. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I was told the same thing keep it under 6k and in 800 miles bring it in for the oil change and a once over. I tell you it was hard to keep her tame in the begining but now Im up to 1800 miles on her. Any good rideing areas down there in Meterie???

20. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Howdy DiveFR!
    Congrats on your new bike! Metairie is ok, but a lot of us riders tend to break away from here to find more ideal places to ride - leaving behind our local drivers' tendencies toward 'Road Rage'. Either head north across Lake Pontchartrain or south toward 'Bayou Country'.