Breaking in. Oil change.

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Ricko600, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Ricko600

Ricko600 New Member

Hit 500 miles today and wanted to change the oil. Short story: getting the original OEM filter off was a PITA. Finally drilled it and used a long screwdriver to get it off. Bad design by Honda and maybe it was the bike sitting at the dealer for 2 years. Anyway, mission accomplished and glad I did it as the old oil didn't look like oil. It looked like brown water. I'm glad I got it out of there before I hit 10,000 RPM. And gear changes were a little clunky so I'm hoping for better particularly when I switch to Motul sythetic in another 1000 miles.

Put on ThrottleMeister and bar risers today. Hope to get OEM QS tomorrow.

Ok, reason for this post. What was up with the break in oil and why go further than 500 miles? Is it special fluid for break in or did it break down sitting for 2 years at dealer?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    That doesn't sound good, if it looked like a mocha, then some water or coolant got into the oil.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well whatever you do, don't go over to the Shell Rotella oil thread, you'll really be confused!

All kidding aside, sounds like what Allyance said, water in the system. Have you checked the other fluids as well? Brake/clutch and probably even more crucial considering your oil, the coolant level. Dark colored brake fluid is a sign that it's time to flush fill the lines.

4. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I let Honda do first oil change (and last), so I never saw it...but when I did the first oil change on my generac generator, it look d "mocha" also. I call them and they stated that it's their breakin oil that looks like that....amsoil went in on that change. So maybe Honda adds something to the initial fill?

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Is a transparent or opaque color? My 83 sat for 15 years and the oil still looked good, but was changed to synthetic before it was started.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. Ricko600

Ricko600 New Member

Uh oh. I wasn't thinking of those replies. Has there been incidents of coolant in the oil? I was thinking it was some kind of different break in oil and age. It was definitely like mocha. Is fd up and spilled some on concrete and it was more watery than oily.

Warranty issue???

I'm riding tomorrow, will check coolant and will see how it goes.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Knowing bikes are dyno checked at the factory before heading out the door, no surprise. There will be small particles/shavings, all part of the break in process. Though I have never seen when they drop that oil prior to shipping, which has me asking, Any one know if VFRs are built here in the US of A like Goldwings? Most PDI processes at the dealer don't happen until some sort of paper work has been done, or its a demo, if it was new to you, no prior PDI before hand, then the oil is as old as how long you have had the bike. Now hand it been a demo, that might explain this a bit. Sad thing here if so, the dealer should have given the bike a fresh oil change. From what I've read oil does not like sitting more than around six months or so before it starts breaking down from acids formed, etc. from lack of use, more a case of temperature cycling. yea aren't getting factory filters off fun, SMH. Now go riding like you stole it .

8. BCDon

BCDon New Member

I'm looking at a demo VFR. I'll likely be telling them I want an oil change before I pick it up.

However, I'm surprised at the comments about "break in oil". I REALLY didn't think they did that anymore. Newer engines have much closer tolerances and much stronger materials than the "old guys". With all the coatings used on cylinders and pistons these days, there is very little "break in" like there used to be.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Although i have not heard of any issues like this with new bikes, nothing is for certain so it's something to check IMO. Also, after you have the new oil in for a few miles, put the bike in the center stand (if yours has one) and check the oil in the sight glass. If it looks like it did when you changed it, then I'd take it to the dealer and let them investigate it.

10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I checked Google, and alot of manufacturers make a break in oil like Amsoil. I couldn't find anything about bike manufacturers use them. This Amsoil is NOT for bikes.

AMSOIL Break-In Oil is an SAE 30 viscosity grade oil formulated without friction modifiers to allow for quick and efficient piston ring seating in new and rebuilt high-performance and racing engines. It contains zinc and phosphorus anti-wear additives to protect cam lobes, lifters and rockers during the critical break-in period when wear rates are highest, while its increased film strength protects rod and main bearings from damage. AMSOIL Break-In Oil is designed to increase compression, horsepower and torque for maximum engine performance.

11. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Should have let the dealer do it. It will prob be all the shite in the manufacturing process.

12. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    When you spilt it on the concrete the oil and water will have separated, one will have soaked in an drops of the other will sit on top

If that didn't happen then it's just opaque oil

I sincerely doubt it's water leaking out of the engine, because it would have gotten worse very quickly, modern engines run hot and at quite a high pressure in the cooling system so you'd have lost fluid and overheated, neither of which you mention

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You would be surprised at how unsanitary a brand new engine is when it's assembled...there is no guy there making sure that all the burrs are removed and that there isn't casting slag still in the cases. When I had the 6g engine built at 6k miles, when the heads came off, there were long strands of metal in the water jackets of all 4 cylinders, the tops of the bores weren't clean and there was a small film of metal in the lower end....but nothing wrong with the engine, ran fine. I recommend an oil and coolant change at 250 miles, then again at 500 miles. Tese two intervals are when the engine will introduce the largest amount of crud into the oil, oil filter, and the coolant. As for break in.....no such thing anymore, really. Get some pressure on those rings and let it find it's way.

14. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Yes add Rottla make a new bike run like it has 100,000 miles on it which for some might be good.

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    FDA......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

That's not good! I never thought of that. I did not look at the oil window when I bought the bike, but the dealer aka (The GM) who sold me the bike told me to ride it hard and fluctuate the rpm's even up to red line to set the valves correctly. I have always thought that you should - like it says "Break it in" I did see some websites saying the same thing and did not think about 2 year old fluids driving off the lot. I went 603 miles before going into the dealer to do the service (the manual states 600 miles). I did buy Honda power sport true synthetic online and brought it to them since I saved $4-5 a quart.

This is the first new bike I have bought 2 yrs. out of its production and only the second new bike bought out of production year ( I bought a 2003 Sv1000s in 2004 new off the lot), and I really don't want to think about what I could have done if anything to the engine with broken down oil in the case. I did use dealer suggestions, dealer service and OEM products on the break-in so time will tell. There is a thing about using the dealer to service on break-in’s and their products if warranty issues come up!

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    After installing the new charge of oil and a new filter, run the bike making sure you use Rotella or Amsoil, (LOL) siphon some oil out of the bike and see if there is separation.

New bike? Save a bundle over time with a Scotts oil filter.

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Built and assembled are two cans of different worms. VFRS come in from Japan at least in Seattle. There may be some Chinese copies oot there.

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ya, buy a scotts that filters nothing, just buy a new engine instead.

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I don't even wait that long on a new engine. I do it before 100 miles., I'm always amazed at how much metal comes out on that 1st change. 2nd will come a few hundred later and then I go to my normal change interval. Break in is up and down through the rpm's, never a steady rpm. Gradually increasing to about 75% rpm for the first few hundred. Then higher rpm's and still not a steady throttle, up and down the rpm range. After that I run the piss out if it.