Budds Creek AMA National

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by nozzle, Jun 18, 2007.

1. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Spent Father's Day with my sons watching motocross in the sun. Ricky Carmichael got his 100th motocross win after a long battle with James Stuart...Carmichael finished 2nd in the 1st moto after ripping his googles off before the half way mark. It was kinda insane watching him race while squinting to avoid the rooster-tail dirt showers.

Ryan Villopoto was untouchable in the lites class, but there were good battles behind him.

Anyone going to the Nations in September?

2. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Great post! My best friend was trying to get me to go, but my son is only 4 and living in Leesburg, its pretty far. Glad you had fun, Its a great track. Go RIcky!

3. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Four is pretty young to sit in the sun all day to watch, but he might be able to navigate a 50cc around :).

There were ~18,000 fans there for the AMA National and they are predicting over 30,000 fans in September for the Motocross des Nations - the World Cup of motocross. Last time it was in the US was 1987 in Utica, NY where Bob "Hurricane" Hannah, Jeff Ward, & Rick Johnson won for the US in the mud.

So, I've never ridden off-road on a bike, much less on a track, but I though it was very fun to be so close to the action. The one rock that hit me in the lip was more exciting than I expected ;-)... The hills allow folks to about 90% of the track since it winds up and down around a valley.

Your enjoyment may very, but (IMHO) the SPEED channel coverage was not as exciting to watch as being there, though it was cheaper. More info at the Budds Creek site (on costs) or from the AMA Pro Racing site (on the event history, FIM, and how it works).

4. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    I've actually ridden that track. I used to run a shop Cycle Sport in Springfield VA, we did a yearly party there, great facility. There are sweet trails winding around the woods too. I'll maybe hit that next one, sounds awesome. You are right the TV doesn't translate the speed or jumps well.

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Where I live, my son and I go to the Unadilla and Binghamton National every year. Unfortunately, Binghamton is now off the schedule but Unadilla is coming up in a few weeks. I hope RC decides to hang in there and not retire after Millville. He most likely will have the points lead and I imagine Suzuki would offer him a huge incentive to stay. An outdoor title for RC is a sure thing. James Stewart is the only guy who can hang with him, but RC beats him consistenly outdoors.

As a side note, I used to race MX and have ridden Unadilla and Binghamton many times. I flagged the 1997 Binghamton National and back then it was RC and Kevin Windham that dominated the 125 class. Being just 5 feet away from the two of them as they jumped the downhill ski jump before the roadway tabletop and doubles was just plain old sick. I always thought I was a good rider until I saw them in person ........... and do I ever miss the sound of the 2-strokes running wide open ...............

6. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    The 4 strokes just thump - LOUDLY. The whinning-ding zip and crack of the 2stokes seemed to fit better - but that is likely just because we are old ;-)

I think Ricky is going to stop sooner .vs. later he is under contract to drive crazy cages in a NASCAR development program. They say he'll race the Motocross des Nations though, Carmichael, Stewart, Villopoto would be strong as he was getting around Budds Creek in two minutes flat when the fastest 450 lap was by RC at 1:58

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    On paper, Team USA should dominate, but as we all know with racing, anything can happen.

As far as RC's contract, I wonder if Suzuki or somebody else might be trying to make negotiations so that he can finish the outdoor series. I've got to believe that an outdoor MX title is more important to Suzuki and his sponsors as opposed to him taking his first steps in 4-wheel racing. We are only talking about him delaying things for 2 months so he can finish.

8. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    It would be neat to see him finish out the outdoor season, but whether for leverage, contracts or what he publicly has said he'd not completing the championship. Hope he surprises you and head to up your way. Otherwise you can ride down in September :)