cam chain tensioner

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by howard, Jul 29, 2021.

1. howard

howard New Member

United States
    Map
    Whats the best indication of cam chain tensioner needing adjustment or replacement. My 2003 with 10k has a small clack on start up,otherwiseyou never hear it

2. Pnoyryder

Pnoyryder New Member

United States
    The fact that you're hearing that clack is a pretty good indication it needs to be replaced soon. Even though it goes away after startup just means you have some time before it totally goes bad. That noise will just get louder as you rack up by the miles. I replaced both of mine (07 VFR) eventually after the noise never went away due to my own procrastination.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    02 with ~40000mi ... did my front one last summer, it had clearly been done before by PO (damage to one of the mounting bolts). this front cct was making the clacking noise. i haven't touched the rear one to date and unknown if a PO did. since replacing the front, no noise, no issues

4. BikerSte

BikerSte New Member

Ireland
    A little noise from the chain from a cold engine is fine as having it to tight wears out the cam chain guides. A warm engine with cam chain noise is bad. Not to tight and not to loose is just right in my book. I fitted a manual chain tensioner to the front cylinders as that tensioner tends to make the noise as the lower one gets more oil. From a cold start I might hear it for a few seconds and that's it. Best of luck