Carrying on the tradition

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Nungboy, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    I went out for a ride this past Sunday even though it was quite windy. At first it was tolerable but after a short distance the side winds were too gusty for me to consider the riding safe (or much fun) so I headed back and stopped at a coffee shop. As I sat outside listening to tunes on the headphones and drinking my joe I could see my bike in the parking lot. After a while I saw a child and what looked to be his (fairly young) grandfather. The lad was about 5 perhaps and at first he was looking over my bike carefully. Then, based on his grandfather's pointing and pantomine movements it was very clear that he was explaining the basic controls of the motorcycle. It went on for quite some time and even though I couldn't hear a thing it seemed to be that both of them were really into it. He spent time on every section of the bike, even the chain and the open side of the single-sided swingarm. Kinda nice to see this little vignette of generational bonding over a motorcycle. One hears so much negative press about riding so it was encouraging to see this nice familal moment. They eventually got into a truck and drove off and I rocked on to the tunes. My father never road and my motorcycle-riding brother died before I started riding so it was a nice warm and fuzzy moment. I know others (like JOKER) have had some nice moments like this...
    break 'em out... :smile:

2. TomFrost

TomFrost New Member

My parents were conservative safety type o' folks, not riders.

High school girlfriend's dad was a Harley guy. He let me ride this old Triumph 250 on his land. Also gave me my first real job,taught me machining, and taught me how to shoot with a Ruger Mkii. Big bearded Uber-Slav...he had a lot of character and was super smart. Thanks Eddie!

3. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Sounds like a great guy...you got most of your manly-man training from him. I bet he got a kick out of helping you...

4. beedleblt

beedleblt New Member

United States
    Map
    My story is a little different but some may find it interesting as well. I lost my father last year. His first bike was a WW2 Era Knuckle Head Springer and the one I first remember was a mid 60's 305 Superhawk. His last bike was an 80's FLH that he sold the family boat for. (boat just sat anyway) When I started dating my wife to be, I was riding my first bike, a Yamaha Virago. Nearly the first ride to the hills following my future Father In Law on "his" 305 Superhawk, and me dragging those exh pipes in the righthanders, I realized that there was no future in a cruiser bike for me! Sold that to buy my CB750F off the floor in '82 as fast as I could! A left hand turning Olds 98 finished my CB for me after 10K miles or so, which led me to my VF purchase in '84. 30K later it seems life had changed in our household (kids) and the Interceptor stayed under the cover more and more. Fast forward to last year when my oldest convinced me it was time and that I needed to test ride the SV650 he "was" buying! Next thing I knew I was going through my VF again! We now have 3 Generatin rides in our family. Went for a ride this past Sunday as well. Windy here in Cen Cal also. Our destination was the top of Mt. Diablo. Windy clear days are the best for this ride cuz when it is clear you can see Half Dome in Yosemite National Park to the East and the Golden Gate Bridge to the west. Was not clear enough for Half dome but we could see from the snow capped Sierras to the Golden Gate. Rode with my Father in Law, but my son stayed home to study for Mondays math test. (Keep up those grades and get that degree you dad and his dad never did!) My friend from youth and his dad as well, went with us! It was a little bit like old times! Looking forward to more this summer as we have a lot of roads to show the next generation!:smile: