Cartridge Fork

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by B9PT8O, Mar 15, 2022.

1. B9PT8O

B9PT8O New Member

United States
    Apologies if this has been done to death, but looking for some actual owner reviews on putting upgrade cartridge interals to the stock VFR fork, mines a 1996 gen 4. I've looked at front end swaps but don't really want to get too involved, replacing the internals seems like simpler route to a plusher front end?

I've been in touch with DMR to enquire about their fork upgrade (potentially a shock as well) with a view to installing next winter.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    DMr would be a great choice. It will def be an upgrade with full customer support from Jamie.

I wish I had the budget to do all of my bikes.

3. LannyL81

LannyL81 New Member

United States
    Map
    I will add my vote for DMR's cartridges. Have had them in my '97 for over six years now. I also suggest to have Jamie rebuild the rear shock and set it up for your weight and riding style. I did this as well. Yeah, not cheap...but if you are going to keep your '96 and ride it until the wheels fall off.....you will never be sorry you did these upgrades.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I am a total convert to cartridge upgrades, and have done them on my 96 RF900, 99 VFR800, 97 VTR1000F, 09 ST1300 and 90 ST1100, plus my current 99 VFR800. All use very similar 20mm cartridges, the VTR also had external rebound adjusters. Once you've had a bike that has been modified in this way it is hard to accept the stock suspension compromises.

There's nothing mechanically wrong with stock forks but the damping and springing rates chosen by Honda are unlikely to be tailored specifically to you. Getting weight-appropriate springs (for me that is 0.9 to 0.95 kg/mm) is the first step. I've found the Racetech recommendations for springs and damping to be very close to optimum, I do err slightly on the softer side for compression damping for road use. The benefits I have found include a reduction in road-shock transmitted and the ability to hold a steady line over broken surfaces without being kicked off line. The bike ends up being more comfortable and stable to ride. Changing the valve bodies and shim stacks gives you total flexibility to adjust the damping to suit your needs, and I have used products supplied by DMr as well as Racetech. There's some well-known UK suspension experts out there as well.

5. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    If there’s one thing that I am super fussy about, it’s stock suspension on motorcycles I’ve owned. I had a gsx-s1000f for 2 years and never liked the suspension. Traded it in for a Honda Nc750. Hate the front end, too soft. Will need to work on that.

I’ve owned my 4th gen for 10 years. I assume the front springs are original and they’re very soft for my 195 lb weight. Braking hard, makes the bike dip more than I would prefer. But for 95% of my riding the suspension works fine. I can rip down a bumpy road at speed and it holds its line and glides over the bumps. I rode 900 miles in 13 hours not that long ago, and didn’t even ache the next day, the ride was so smooth. Much as I’d like to tighten up the front end I’m not going to mess with the present ride. It makes my new Nc feel like an old piece of junk in comparison which is very annoying when I bought a so called adventure bike expecting soft but plush suspension.