Cbr F4i Rear Shock Installed On '99

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by druggrepp, Mar 6, 2008.

1. druggrepp

druggrepp New Member

Hey,
    My '99 rear shock was worn with 26k on it so, I read about putting the f4i shock on it.
    I also am a big texas boy and weigh 250lb, so I wanted a better shock.
    I bought a new f4i shock off ebay and followed the other website instruction BUT, problems arose because: first the f4i shcok is also made for 150 lb riders and it is 1/2" inch shorter than vfr shock. I tried puting a spacer at the top brkt but there wasnt enough threads left to securely lock the top nut down.
    So I cut the original brkt bolt down to 1/2 inch high and welded another longer bolt to it. Cost $5 to do all this. That allowed me to add 1" of spacer to the top brkt and raise the rear of bike where it needed to be. And it allows a big texas boy to not squash the suspension when touring.
    If I was going to do it again i would opt for a stouter shock.
    Although having the nitrogen remote cartridge makes it ride better than the bwm i sold to get this.

2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek New Member

is the 5th gen shock longer than 6th gen? i put f4i on my 6th gen and it was .5" LONGER??? spring rate was too low as you said, but i was having it rebuilt anyways, so put a stiffer spring on it...works excellent

3. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

Yes, the CBR shock is sprung for a light rider and an even lighter bike as well. That spring would be ok for a 140lb rider on the VFR. My suggestion would be to get a new spring pronto - it's dangerous riding it like that. You'll want something around a 17.0kg/mm spring for your weight, maybe a tad higher.

Here are the shock lengths:
    CBR600F4 = 305mm
    5th Gen VFR = 325mm
    6th Gen VFR = 315mm

4. leandroflaherty

leandroflaherty New Member

where to get?

anybody know a place to get replacement springs for the rear shock? (f4i)

-LCF

5. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

Sure man, I can help you out with that. Keep in mind that it takes special equipment to change the spring on a rear shock. It's sort of a "don't try this at home" kind of thing. I get good pricing on springs which I like to pass along, the total including installation would be $90 plus return shipping.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.