CBR600RR shock on 1996 VFR?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by B9PT8O, Jun 14, 2022.

1. B9PT8O

B9PT8O New Member

United States
    Looking at rear shock alternatives has anyone tried to fit a CBR600RR (2009) to a late model VFR 750? The CBR shock is 310mm eye to eye where as the VFR shock is 320mm but there is a good 10mm of threaded stud out the top of the clevis bolt. Otherwise the CBR top and bottom mount are the same broadly speaking I think the top is slightly narrower but the hole is the same size.

Also making the assumption that a 20ish year newer shock will have an improvement in performance over the frankly shagged original. Plus I've spotted one locally that's cheap enough to take a punt.

1. Has anyone done it?
    2. Does anyone see a glaring problem?
    3. The CBR shock has quite a large appendage, not sure how much room there is around the top of the shock.
    4. Would reducing the overall length of the shock have the effect of lifting the back end?

Thanks in advance.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I think the large attached reservoir is the glaring problem. The other big problem is the spring will be overwhelmed by the weight of the VFR, even with pre-load maxed out. Hondas are already usually sprung on the soft side. If you put a heavier spring on, the damping (especially rebound), will be overwhelmed. By the time you are done modding it into any kind of improvement (if it even fits), you are on your way to a decent shock tuned for the VFR.

This is a non-starter imo.

As far as the length inquiry, a shorter shock will lower the rear end. And more than the actual length difference because of the linkage.

A stock CBR1100XX shock is closer as far as size, dimensions and spring, but is no improvement.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  3. B9PT8O

B9PT8O New Member

United States
    Common sense prevails again... Thanks Cap'n.

4. B9PT8O

B9PT8O New Member

United States
    I think I already know the answer; is the OEM shock rebuildable?

Or does everyone just junk it and put an aftermarket option on instead? Any preferences?

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    While not designed to be rebuildable, there are people that do it.

Most people just take that money and use it towards aftermarket shocks that offer more adjustability (like separate ride height).

6. B9PT8O

B9PT8O New Member

United States
    Sorry if I'm getting annoying at this point but your comment above got me thinking. There seem to be more options for a CBR1100XX, if they are 'similar' enough could you use an aftermarket blackbird shock? For example of you found an Ohlins unit for a blackbird, given that Ohlins units for the VFR750 seem to be like hen's teeth.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yeah that scenario sounds doable. Looks like the stock XX is 5mm longer than the 94 VFR (not a bad thing), but a good aftermarket shock will have plenty of adjustment. A quick search on some YSS shocks seems to confirm the mounts are indeed the same dimensions. Still might be dealing with a spring that is not quite right (heavy), but that can be rectified if needed.

8. SkiHands

SkiHands New Member

United States
    Gotta remember that the damping on a OE shock for a 400lbs sport bike is vastly different than the damping on a 550lbs sport tourer. Might work out OK, might not.

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    That's exactly what I said in POST #2. And that's why we continued the conversation about other options.