Center Stand Anxiety

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by mello dude, Mar 1, 2009.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Having replaced plastic from a driveway drop - I understand your anxiety. What I have started doing getting the bike off the stand is to put the side kickstand down before I pull the bike off the centerstand and then once the centerstand kicks up I immediately put the bike resting on the side stand. I also do the reverse when putting the bike on the c'stand. Bike on sidestand, set up to pull on c'stand and kick it down and on.

Seems to help add extra focus on the task at hand to help avoid the driveway drop.

MD

---UM - how did I end up being the topic's first post?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    At five 7 with a 32 inch inseam I'M not flat footed on my 6th Gen, but comfortable. Ditto with my 87.

The 87 didn't come with a center stand so I never gave one much thought.

I had 12 miles or so on my ZX-11 when I took it off the center stand,not sitting on the seat,and down she went.

Today I tried to get the 08 off the center stand for the first time. A combination of being parked on a dirt floor and being parked about a foot from a two bottom plow and even though I gave it a few good tries, I couldn't get it to budge with my skinny 195 pounds and short legs.

I'M gonna wait for a spotter and or a long legged friend and move the plow before I try again.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: Being short legged should I just give up on trying to use my center stand? Maybe even remove it?
    Dropping a bike ruins your entire life,right up till when you replace every damn piece that gets broken or scraped. I don't wanna be so traumatized.

So even under ideal conditions being on firm level pavement, is it reasonable to think I can use the center stand with my short legs?

3. ewryly

ewryly New Member

Having a spotter until you are comfortable makes sense, but I don't think you will have much trouble once you get rid of your anxiety. I'm 5'9" and about 155, and, though it is always a bit of thrill as it rolls off the center stand, I stand close to it and let it lean towards me with no problem.

4. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm not understanding the issue :confused: I'm about your size and almost always use the center stand. Even on my old GL1200 Gold Wing I never had any problems taking it off the stand when standing next to the bike.

5. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I Understand your worry but it comes of the stand nicely. If you need to leave the side stand down Then OK.
    But I have not had the issue. The bike is nicely balanced.

6. sneaky291

sneaky291 New Member

This is probably an old trick, but it took my father in law to teach it to me. When I first started riding he took some time to show me a thing or two about bikes, everything from mounting to storing it for the winter. He stressed that while putting a bike on or off it's center stand one must apply force which means there's always the chance that the bike will get away from you. He kept a couple of pieces of 1/2" plywood handy which he rolled the bike onto, then he would put down the center stand. Once the stand was down, the bike gets a teeter-totter action and he could remove the plywood from under the tires. He admits it's an extra step that takes time, but I agree with him that if the bike does go down, you're gonna spend at least a few seconds staring at those boards!

7. MiddleAgeCrazy

Map
    I had the ZX11 a few hours before I brought it off the centerstand while standing on the right and it healed over to the left. I held on for as long as I could but eventually I dropped it.

So I learned to get it off the centerstand while sitting on it. Now when I tried this the other day, it didn't want to budge a bit. I did get a rubber mat under one foot of the stand and plan to do it with the other, then enlist the help of a discreet neigbor to help me roll the plow that's a foot away on the left of the bike and then have him spot me on the right while I bring it down.

I plan on getting a sheet of plywood to park on since right now I have no garage but just a barn.

I don't know if I'M getting weaker or the new bike is a real porker or both? But please Pray for me, I don't wanna drop it. Because I will not sleep until the new parts are delivered. I can't stand a beat up bike. Though there are parts of me that would like a real thrasher that I can keep great rubber on and good chain and brakes and not worry about how it looks and just go out and do battle.

I saw this bike in Sicily this last fall.

[​IMG]

I sort of admired it because I envisioned the owner had more fun riding it than worrying about it. It didn't even have a side stand.

In a perfect universe 3rd hand NC30's would be $1500 and plastic would be $25 and I could go out bright and early every morning and pretend I'M the greatest private rider in the world.

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I did the triangle flip and does make it easier to manuver and take off the center stand. But now I can relate to you about putting it on the center stand. With it lowered about an inch it is a BITCH to put up on the center stand now. Usually I have a friend lift on the grab bars just to be safe.

9. dualcert

dualcert New Member

:confused:
    I'm not understanding the isssues with center stands and the use of. I'm 5'8 and 170lbs. I use the center stand when I gas up. I put one foot on the C/S, grab a hand full of left hand grip with my left hand and a hand full of passenger grab rail w/ my right. Stand on the C/S lever w/ left foot and rock it back in one smooth motion. To remove I climb on while on the C/S, start the bike; put it in 1st rock foward and ride away.
    I learned how to use a C/S when I was 13 from my older bro, and I'm middle 40's now. Hasn't changed.:thumbsup:

10. STEVE MANKIN

STEVE MANKIN New Member

Map
    while not 5 10...i do it by sitting on the bike and rocking the bike forward...comes right down.....putting them on the stand takes more skill......left hand on left handlebar grip...right hand on rear grab rail...bring stand down..push down with foot and up and forward with right hand.....

11. pm_wizard

pm_wizard New Member

Map
    I hate to add to the chorus. I am 5' 8" and 185 lbs. I use the same basic method as Dualcert described, although I grab a hold on the passenger foot peg bracket with my right hand. Stand on the centrestand and it pops up no problem. It is a little harder if the hard bags are mounted and full!

Getting off the stand, i sit on the bike and just rock it forward. It usually takes me a couple of tries to get some forward momentum. I like doing it that way because there is emergency support available in the shape of my two legs and feet hanging out there! I have taken it off from a standing position beside the bike, but I find that is too unpredictable.

It probably will just take you some practice to master this.

John

12. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    You can do it...it takes finesse, not strength.

Practice makes perfect...have a friend for support until you get it down. Wait 'til you get it on pavement. Avoid the centerstand on dirt, soft terrain, or hot tar, the bike is more stable on the sidestand. I've done far more damage estimates from bikes falling over while on the centerstand.

ALWAYS work from the LEFT side of the bike. I prefer not to have sidestands down as sometimes they contact the pavement and make the bike bounce to the right...it's controllable but it freaks me out.

The trick to applying the centerstand is to lean the bike to the right while you have your foot on the centerstand until you feel the right 'foot' of it contact the surface...kinda let it balance itself. Then apply your weight to the stand. If you try to 'centerstand' it while only one of the 'feet' is grounded it's nearly impossible.

13. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

Wow, you look much shorter in your avatar. :biggrin:

14. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

Excellent advice that works great!

15. VFess

VFess New Member

Map
    Platform motorcycle boots?

[​IMG]

16. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Mello - I just have to say that I am IMPRESSED, my friend. You have finally reached the point where you can actually anticipate what people are going to ask on VFRworld, and provide a response hours before they even post the question. Let it be known that on VFRworld, your VFR-related questions will be answered before you even think about asking the question. Now THAT is customer service!

On a side note, I have no idea why your note showed up at the top, that's just WEIRD! But I will investigate. :ninja:

17. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Damn I'm good......lol :cool:

MD

18. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    MY QUESTION IS THIS: Being short legged should I just give up on trying to use my center stand? Maybe even remove it?
    Dropping a bike ruins your entire life,right up till when you replace every damn piece that gets broken or scraped. I don't wanna be so traumatized.

i'm 5' 4 1/2" with a 29 in inseam. no problem putting it on the center stand. practice the advice posted and over time, you'll master it. i don't even bother getting my bike off the center stand while i'm on the seat because my feet are about a foot off the ground.

19. jetblack

jetblack New Member

Map
    Gently rock it while leaning it towards yourself. Have your hand ready to use the front brake. Haven't had any problems with it myself.

Make your movements slow and deliberate.

20. MiddleAgeCrazy

Map
    Mostly because I had to get at the plow beside it, I got the nerve to rock the bike off the centerstand today( with a spotter handy). I think some of my problem was it was in soft dirt.

Under the sheets I noticed a collection of fine dust starting to accumulate. So I took advantage of a 70 degree day and went for a quick 11 mile ride. She still feels a might portly but the power sure seems seamless.

After I got the tires warmed up I did stoke her up a bit on the two lane in front of the house. I happened to glance at the speedo and saw 126 MPH. Probably not smart with less than 50 miles on the bike... .

I also got the seat off and retrieved my owners manual.

I got to thinking that 10 years ago, I would have been pretty impreseed with this package, living out West with the big roads and all.