Center stand removal on 5th Gen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by derstuka, Feb 2, 2008.

1. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Has anybody removed the bolt from the right side of their centerstand on a 5th gen without disassembling half the bike? Well, removing the body panels and full exhaust system that is.

Problem is, the right side centerstand bolt was loose and it doesn't want to start threading back in after hours of trying. I cannot get the bolt out because it hits part of the exhaust piping. I removed the exhaust can, and was going to get at the inner exhaust pipes, but I can only get to the bolt on one without taking the peg assembly off. Man, this is a lot of work, just to get one bolt off that I can see and touch and get about 75% out of its hole! Anybody done this and/or got any tricks?

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Wish I could help you but all I know is that I have seen more than one post mentioning how difficult a job it is to do...

3. derstuka

Map
  4. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

My center stand is in a box for that very reason. Bike came without it, bike stays without it.

5. derstuka

Map

Hey, need your help flyboy. Can you look into your box and confirm that the right side bolt has a left-hand thread?

6. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

I'm leaving mine on because it permits a shock swap!

See pix later...

7. derstuka

Map

Gonna leave mine on as well, but I feel a little nervous with a loose bolt and all. I need to get the bolt out (or in) and check its threads for damage...not to mention the bolthole.

8. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

I have thought about removing mine, does anyone know how much it weighs? eddie

9. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Specialty tool needed--Hack Saw.

10. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    You fifth generation guys sure have to work hard to get your nuts off.... figures they'd show this type of activity on other places on the 'net.

11. roytheboy

roytheboy New Member

Left hand thread

Hi

The rhs bolt is screwed with normal clockwise thread, my bike is at this very moment lying on a mattress....as I am trying to undo the bolt holding the exhaust on, just above the catalytic converter, the exhaust was already damaged when I bought the bike, so I am using 2 weapons...a hacksaw....and soon....a nut splitter, to remove this particular nut.......
    The Main Stand came off....simply, but apart from the frame and engine and rear wheel, everything else has been removed......
    My suggestion is....remove the exhaust....seems to be the only way...in my opinion

roy

12. elf800

elf800 Banned

contact canib whiskey technologies he will answer all your questions for a 5th of jack...watch out for that wielder though its gets crazy...........rofl

13. Gryphon

Gryphon New Member

Map
    Center Stand Useage

My question is this? What is the proper way to get the bike upon the center stand without 1 getting a hernia, 2 dropping the bike?

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm sure you have probably found the answer somewhere else, but the main trick of it is stomping with the right foot while the right hand has a good grip either on the footpeg bracket or under the subframe and lift up while pulling back with the left handgrip. The rocking motion helps. Whatever you do, don't back out when you are halfway into the lift...

15. nwrider

nwrider New Member

I recently bought a 98 VFR w/o a center stand. I've got one coming from an EBay purchase that includes the rear shock (cushion) bracket. This bracket mounts to the engine case and holds the linkage for the rear shock, footrests, side stand and center stand. I looks like one might be able to remove the footrests and the rear shock linkage from the bracket and then remove the long front bolt from the left side, loosen the rear bolt and pivot the front of the bracket down enough to clear the exhaust on the right side enough to insert the right side center stand bolt. Has anyone tried this? Or, is it just as much work as to disconnect the rear exhaust collector and the front pipes?

16. nvoges

nvoges New Member

I bought my 98 with the center stand removed. I found it to be easiest (not easy at all) to remove the exhaust to install the center stand. It was a major PITA but I was able to get it on in about 2 or 3 hours.

17. nwrider

nwrider New Member

Well, I guess I'll just combine the center stand installation with an oil and coolant change. Do you remember if the left side bolt was a right or left hand thread?

Thanks,

John

18. hondajt

hondajt New Member

huh, the VFRD link is gone.

Anyone got some pics? I need to get mine pwderccoated or sprayed because its rusted. This is gonna suck.

19. nwrider

nwrider New Member

Hondajt,

This may or may not help. If you can back the right side bolt out until it hits the exhaust you might try cutting the bolt off with a hacksaw leaving enough of the bolt next to the mount to then grip it with pliars or a small pair of vice grips to finish removing the rest of the bolt.

When you remount the center stand, you can try what I did, which was to buy a 50 -55mm long (10mm verify this since I'm relying on my memory) bolt and run it in from the inside of the case* and through the centerstand bracket. On mine there were just enough threads for me to locktite a nut on the end. That way you can easily remove the centerstand in the future.

* The threads in the case run all the way through .

20. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I was able to get my centerstand off by just loosening the exhaust header nuts and moving the exhaust around (forcefully) without fully taking it off. Remount the stand with a new, longer bolt from the inside, nut on the outside, so you don't ever have this problem again.