Chain Adjustment without Spanner?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by mwlehman, Aug 27, 2017.

1. mwlehman

mwlehman New Member

United States
    Map
    I need to adjust the chain on my 99 vfr but I do not have spanner wrench, how much of a pain is it to adjust without wrench? If it makes a difference I have to move rear hub away from countershaft sprocket. If it is a pain in the butt I will try and source a wrench...if not I will give it a fling...

thanks!

2. vdrive

vdrive New Member

United States
    Map
    i never have used the spanner in the tool kit to adjust the chain ,just a tap on one of the groves with a dull punch to move the adjuster when the pinch bolt is loose ,the easiest chain adjustment ever .

A.M likes this.
  3. mwlehman

mwlehman New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks!! that is what I was hoping to hear. I need to drop a tooth on front sprocket, I am taking it to key west to ride down there so dropping a tooth will help in town with traffic..my wife has a cbr250r down there which is perfect for around town..

thank you again

Mike

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Spanners go for about 17 bucks at the usual online parts places, but if you must, you can stick a flat blade screwdriver on the slots, an tap it to tighten or loosen whatever you need.

A.M likes this.
  5. mwlehman

mwlehman New Member

United States
    Map
    I made the swap today, had a little skin cancer removed in the morning and changed the gear when I got home, used a long screwdriver and hammer to tap ring ...

I thought my bike had a 16t front sprocket but what I pulled off was a 17t ..I put the 15t on and went for a ride. it will be perfect for key west...slow enough for in town

6. stevens9757@bellsouth.net

stevens9757@bellsouth.net New Member

United States
    Map
    Speaking of chain adjustment...my chain adjuster mechanism is "frozen" and even with a dull drift, it will not budge. The pinch bolt is also so VERY hard to move...need a cheater bar on the end of the wrench. Have tried penetrating fluids but no luck. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Thanks.

7. mwlehman

mwlehman New Member

United States
    Map
    sorry, only thing I can think is a little heat applied to area...but I would soak it with wd40 or similar for a little while...sorry could not help more

8. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    PB Blaster is a much better choice to soak your frozen adjuster. Completely remove the pinch bolt first. Then I would soak it multiple times, 6-8 hours apart, then use the dull drift.
    I hope this helps.

9. mwlehman

mwlehman New Member

United States
    Map
    never tried that stuff...will get a can for future use..thanks!!

10. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    There's a lot of surface area in the VFR's hub assembly, there has to be to make it stable within the single sided swingarm.

But in addition to the two very large contact patches on the Bearing Holder (which is the part you're trying to move to adjust the chain slack), there's also a large contact patch on the inner (wheel side) of the Bearing Holder where the rear brake Caliper Stay rides. Sometimes it's the static friction of the Caliper Stay on its contact patch that prevents you from being able to rotate the Bearing Holder.

Considering that there are some very important bearings inside of the Bearing Holder, I'd be reluctant to hose it down with PB Blaster (or anything similar). The whole rear hub assembly really isn't very hard to disassemble and clean (you can find the really large socket wrenches for rent at most auto parts stores). Since our 5th Generation VFRs are pushing 20 years old it seems worth it to disassemble and inspect and clean and re-grease the bearings in the rear hub.

11. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    On second thought, Greg's post is the best option. PB Blaster would possibly wash out any grease in the adjuster. It works well when you have a rusted fastener, but it can be a bit messy.

One other thought,... that chain adjusting hub can tighten the chain when turned either way. I prefer to tighten mine by turning it from the bottom toward the rear of the bike.

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    yeah ! use alot of lube, and insert a flat screwdriver blade in the split seam to gently widen it slightly to remove pressure on the eccecentric.

as always, you need to find the TIGHTEST spot along the chain and adjust for proper slack THERE !

13. stevens9757@bellsouth.net

stevens9757@bellsouth.net New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the tips and input. A winter project for sure.