Change oil without changing filter after 500 miles?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Skot_2003_VFR800, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Skot_2003_VFR800

Skot_2003_VFR800 New Member

United States
    Map
    The dealer put in conventional oil (all they had) about 500 miles ago and changed the filter. I just got some good ol' GN-4. Can I just drain and fill and keep the newish filter?

2. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Ride it. Change oil and filter in 2000 miles or so. It's not so much what oil you use as it is to use clean oil. Also filters are cheap, engines are not.

This could become a nasty oil thread.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    AHA! the old conventional oil trick again I see. WTF is conventional oil? I would consult with SOW on this one. He is the oiliest dude here. The next step is to find somebody else to work on that bike.

Scotts oil filter...A one time buy.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Why waste the oil? Use it to your normal oil change and then put in what you want. Unless you're going racing nothing is going to be hurt. That's assuming they put in the proper weight of course.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I change oil AND filter on a new engine at 20 miles, 50 miles and 100 miles then go to a regular service interval of 2k. It may be nuts but I have cut open filters and seen the "etch a sketch" metal flakes in the filter and know that my rings are seating and even more than that the transmission is breaking in leaving all kinds of metal in the oil.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pho...rum.net%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D1746.0;1024;768

6. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    If your worried about the grade of oil in your bike, I sure wouldn't replace it with gn4. There are many reviews and lab tests that prove its a middle of the road oil. If your gung ho on changing the oil then by all means do it right and change the filter. Remember the oil is only as good as the filter.

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    P1010087.jpg IMGP0355.jpg put another 500 miles and then change the oil and filter -use syn Castrol rt and napa platinum-it will shift extremely easy and start real easy.

8. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    If you have a fish and chip shop near you, try to get 4 litres of their used fryer oil.
    The base oil is excellent quality, it's fit for human consumption after all, and the high levels of BCB's (burnt crunchy bits) act as an extreme pressure lubricant in much the he same way as zinc does in a conventional motorcycle oil.

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Thx in the spirit of sharing has just saved SOW aboot 73.95 USD/year on oil changes.