Changes to Forums

Discussion in 'VFRworld News' started by michael, Mar 27, 2006.

1. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I made several changes to the VFRworld Forums today, basically just to clean them up and make them more descriptive.

New/Changed Forums:
    1. Polls - A place where all users can post polls to learn more about each other.
    2. Split Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Modifications into two forums: (a) Mechanics Garage (maintenance and troubleshooting), and (b) Modifications.
    3. New Riders - A place where users new to the world of motorcycling can share stories and ask questions.

Any suggestions for other forum changes?

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Michael,

is there a way to just read messages posted since a certain date? For instance, I'd like to read all new posts from this year, etc. I find myself just browsing around and before I know it I'm sending messages to someone who wrote a note a year ago and never visits here anymore. I like the old posts when I search say for a mod or something that people may have already covered, though.

3. michael

United States
    Map
    Absolutely, very easy! In the top navbar, you should see a link that says "Search". Click on that and then click on Advanced Search.

The advanced search will allow you to search only select forums, or based on a certain date, or based on how many replies the thread has had. Check that out, let me know how it works for ya!

Michael

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I tried it and when I did it said I needed to put a word or username in the blank to search. I wanted to just read everything in the last week say... Maybe I'm missing something... You'd think I could figure this out, I used to run a FidoNet BBS back in the pre-internet days...

5. Chef

Chef New Member

If it helps, you can change the threads are are viewable based on activity.

[​IMG]
    (Sorry if you only allow bike images to be uploaded. I set to only reg member gallery.)

Using the method in the screenshot will change the sort for that instance but you can also change your account default in your UserCP (My Settings here) >> Edit Options >> Thread Display Options >> Default Thread Age Cut Off.

Hope that helps. :)

BTW michael, I like what you have done with my forum style. I especially like the footer and new nav buttons. Site looks great!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  6. michael

United States
    Map
    hey chef! i'm glad that you stopped by. as soon as i saw red2black, i knew it was the style for VFRworld. you did a great job on it, and i appreciate your hard work. you've also helped me out with a couple of posts on the vbulletin forums.

feel free to use this site as an example of your work!

ironically, i also noticed that you just happened to be the 1,800th member of VFRworld, congrats, you win the gold star. :hail:

1800.jpg

7. waynej

waynej New Member

Map
    Hey Michael, any chance for country of origin icon etc on each members postings, would help with advice on mech mods, no good sending my forks overseas for a revalve when there would obviously be someone local???

8. michael

United States
    Map
    Hey Wayne - this feature has now been added. If you look to the left of my message, you'll see the good ol' red white and blue. In order to turn yours on, you need to go into your My Settings and choose your country. Then a flag should show up next to your name too! Enjoy!