Changing handlebars...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Rumblefish, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    So, I'm considering replacing the 'stock' bars w/ something a bit lower. Not looking for 'totally aggressive' riding position...like an R1, but I'd like them just an inch or so lower.

I've read about using VTR bars, but it looks like more of a hassle than I want to deal with (there are clearance issues with the tank) I also read somewhere today about using the stock bars from a CBR600 F2 which is supposed to be not quite as low as the VTR bars, but easier to work with on a VFR.

Anyone done this?

RF

2. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Stock bars from any '90-'97 VFR750 will drop you one inch. Enough to feel a difference in posture but does not require changing any lines or cables. Just happen to have a set that I'll sell for $50 or trade for your VFR800 stock bars.

3. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Hey waldrm,

Very interesting...you're sure about that?...as far as them being 1" lower, etc.

Are the bars the same length as well?

If so, give me the weekend to consider your offer.

Thanks,

RF

4. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New Member

Have you thought about raising the rear a bit to get the same effect?

5. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Good point Hedgehog,
    I'm actually installing the FOX TC shock (which has ride height adjustment) on Saturday...and I thought the very same thing...which is why I asked waldrm for the weekend to consider his offer. I want to see how the bike feels after the shock is installed.

RF

6. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Rumblefish, the bars are same length. advantage of using the VFR750 bars is that they still mount on top; you don't have to rip the whole front end apart. Severe clip-ons mounted under the steering clamp like CBRs will hit the fairing. They are also drilled so the switch blocks will be mounted at the proper angle. Best way to change ride height is to change the shock linkage. Link from a CBR900RR will raise the VFR rear 20mm; link from a CBR600F2 or F3 will raise the rear 40mm

7. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Point of interest. Raising the rear will NOT have the same effect. Raising the rear changes the handling geometry of the entire bike, making the front end more twitchy. Many people either raise the rear or lower he triple clamp on the forks in an effort to make the bike steer quicker. I'd be careful doing this.

Simply lowering the clipons does not change the handling geometry of the bike, only the body position of the rider which only affects the weight distribution on the bike (which can affect the suspension handling). This is more of a comfort issue though.

Adios,

8. Guest

Guest Guest

i've got vtr1000 bars on my '98. if i can answer questions, please let me know.

j.davis

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Rumblefish, let me know how the shock works out. Just wondering, if it is just me or has anybody ridden for longer than 3hrs, and found that the suspension seems to give out.
    Thanks, Ron