Charging problem

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by CaptainPugwash, Aug 26, 2019.

1. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I am experiencing charging problems on my VFR800Abs Vtec 2009.
    I am going though the drill... but want to ask one simple question...
    When the bike is running... should it continue to run if you disconnect the battery?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the Madhouse:Welcome:

When you get a chance please swing by the "introductions" forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here and perhaps include a photo or two of your VFR.

The short answer to your question is probably no and definitely unwise which prompts the question why would you?

As you probably know the fuel injection system in your 6th Gen must have enough volts or it just will not operate. So if the charging system is already stuffed and you disconnect the battery then there will be no electricity reaching the fuel pump with obvious consequences...

Moving on it is important to stress the battery plays an important role in the charging system. Inherently a healthy working RR should operate at high output after a start to quickly replenish energy withdrawn whilst cranking the bike into life. Once that is achieved, it should drop down to a lower output level to basically cover the ongoing power demand. So if you manage to fire up a bike with a healthy charging system and then disconnect the battery, your RR and stator will be suddenly stressed trying to provide infinite power to meet demand needed to recharge a non-existent battery. So if your charging system was not already damaged before, then disconnecting the battery is a pretty good way of ensuring it is damaged.

If you are struggling to get your head round "the drill" you might want to read through its predecessor thread which gives a lot better understanding of the problems and importantly advice for a complete novice on how to use a multi-meter to carry out the various charging system tests...

https://vfrworld.com/threads/how-to-fix-common-regulator-stator-failures.39277/

Whilst that thread began with earlier 800's basically the same issues affect all VFR800s prior to the 8th Gen models.

Good luck resolving your charging system problem - let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. CaptainPugwash

CaptainPugwash New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thank you!

I have introduced myself, and also started another thread detailing my charging problem.