Charity Big Bear Run 4/5

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by shaynej, Mar 20, 2009.

1. shaynej

shaynej New Member

Story in 3rd post

MEETUP LOCATION: Victorville Harley Davidson (I-15 North to Roy Rogers, turn right on Roy Rogers, right on Valley Center Drive)
    MEETUP TIME: 8:00AM
    START TIME: 8:30AM
    Pancake Breakfast at AppleBee's in Apple Valley $10 donation requested.
    DEPART BREAKFAST: 10-10:30AM
    FINISH ROUTE: 12:30-1:30PM

All bikes are welcome, expecting some local H-D's to join us.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. shaynej

shaynej New Member

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Valley+Center+Dr&amp;daddr=Bear+Valley+Rd+to:CA-18+to:CA-18+to:CA-18+to:34.153863,-117.278366&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FW6sDgIdM9oB-Q%3BFUT8DQIdZOsC-Q%3BFUqSDQIdPG4H-Q%3BFYJdCgIdIlQE-Q%3BFfI4CgIdghMD-Q%3B&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrcr=1&amp;mrsp=5&amp;sz=11&amp;via=2,3,4&amp;sll=34.248136,-117.203522&amp;sspn=0.26109,0.352249&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.363844,-117.182922&amp;spn=0.544132,0.878906&amp;z=10&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Valley+Center+Dr&amp;daddr=Bear+Valley+Rd+to:CA-18+to:CA-18+to:CA-18+to:34.153863,-117.278366&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FW6sDgIdM9oB-Q%3BFUT8DQIdZOsC-Q%3BFUqSDQIdPG4H-Q%3BFYJdCgIdIlQE-Q%3BFfI4CgIdghMD-Q%3B&amp;mra=dme&amp;mrcr=1&amp;mrsp=5&amp;sz=11&amp;via=2,3,4&amp;sll=34.248136,-117.203522&amp;sspn=0.26109,0.352249&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=34.363844,-117.182922&amp;spn=0.544132,0.878906&amp;z=10" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. shaynej

shaynej New Member

I was chatting to a fellow VFR rider from British Columbia last week. He mentioned that he was coming down to Apple Valley and knew that Hesperia was nearby. As the conversation progressed he mentioned that he was a Police Officer in Canada and was riding down to be with his nephew from Apple Valley. As it turns out his nephew made the local newspaper yesterday and I thought I might be able to help in anyway possible...

Victorville Daily Press Article

Derek Simpson is a deputy with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Apple Valley station. He is 29 years old and learned on Jan. 23rd that he has a brain tumor. He is undergoing surgery as I type at a nearby hospital. From the newspaper article it is quite clear that he is not a 'typical' police officer that clocks in, gives people tickets, and clocks out. He has spent numerous hours helping out the Sheriff Explorer program, which is where this charity pancake breakfast came from. One of the Explorers that Derek is associated with decided to do whatever he could to help out his friend, and has organized two pancake breakfasts to help cover costs not covered by insurance.

I've always been one to break out the change jar whenever the local F.D. or P.D. do their annual "FILL THE BOOT" campaign on the main streets of our area, this is a little more specific because an actual individual is involved.

So if you want, feel free to join us. We will be starting off at the Victorville Harley Davidson Dealership (visible from the freeway) and heading over as a group.

Thanks, shayne

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map

Thank you Shayne. I will be at Reggies. But will be in Victorville on the MOnday. Lunch for you on me.

5. shaynej

shaynej New Member

No need for lunch, just trying to help. Thanks for the PM about your nephew. From what it read, he's out of surgery and now recovering...

6. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

I'm down

Hey guys, count me in on this one, see you there. Victorville HD at 8 AM! Might bring my friend DJ, not confirmed yet. Lookin forward to it! :thumbsup:

7. shaynej

shaynej New Member

ROUTE MAP HAS BEEN REVISED

Based off a prior ride, I've revised the route to avoid spots of gravel and less than perfect road conditions. Being as this will be a larger group and neither I, nor any of you has experience with them, I felt it best to pick a less technical route.

8. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Shayne,
    This is a great thing you are doing... I won't be able to make it as I will be at SLO, otherwise I would be there. What I would like to know is... is there a way to donate even if I'm not there? I can't put alot in the pot, but hey, every little bit helps. Let me know....

9. shaynej

shaynej New Member

Weather outlook for tomorrow is ideal. Hi's low 70's, wind not a factor. Ride is on.

see you at 8:00AM tomorrow morning.

10. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

Thanks!

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I had a great time today. Thanks again Shayne for organizing this and for such a good cause too! Below is a link to a few pics. Weather was great, a little chilly when we hit Big Bear City but not too bad. A good breakfast, a few speeding tickets, and a fun ride. Thanks to all, and until next time...

Big Bear Charity Ride 4_5_09 - VFRworld Photo Gallery

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Shanyne

Derek wanting to know the number of riders from your group. I hear it was a great ride. Sorry to have missed it. Presently in Victorvillle and will call you in the morning sometime. I will give you my business card that you can use as one get out of jail should you meet him professionaly

Derek says BTW thanks for the support to all of you. Your presence was felt and his heartfelt thanks goes out to you and all.:thumbsup:

12. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you guys had fun! Thanks for organizing this event Shane. A worthy cause indeed!

13. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Sorry could not be there to help out as you know I have to be in SLO III :)
    Job well done Shayne. Sorry about the tickets :(

14. shaynej

shaynej New Member

Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words. In this case a picture is probably pretty close to being worth a thousand dollars when all is said and done...

[​IMG]

But the good news is that AppleBees was pretty crowded when we got there this morning! So at least the day STARTED off on the right foot!

15. shaynej

shaynej New Member

Well, it started off with 3 VFR's, a GSXR, and four Harleys. Not as many as I had hoped for, but we parked out front of AppleBees, and by the time we left there was well over a couple dozen bikes parked next to ours, so I'm hoping that we at least managed to draw attention to the event! Pancakes were awesome!

[​IMG]

Just glad I could help!

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oo nice, and not so so ok what was the story behind the scene? damn dude, Jason looks none to happy..

BTW good to read Randy is doing fine..

17. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

ouch. what's the damage on the tickets? what are the details of the offense if you don't mind? Just curious is all.

Looks like your cops don't leave their lights on during the traffic stop? Michigan...everything is full blast, grill, roof bar, spots, headlights, and of course everything on the rear. Only time they use the rear by itself is for trouble on the road or for helping someone out it seems....

18. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Glad to hear you are still hanging in there and doing well Randy. You have been logging some serious miles. It was a good charity ride even with the "extra" donation that the CHP asked us to give. I hope that Derek is doing well and recovering. Have a safe rest of your journey buddy. Sorry I missed ya by a few hours.....would have loved to have met ya!

Oh, and ask Derek if he happens to "bump" into Mr Big Bear CHP (Mearson or something I think..hahaha. have to check again) that asked for the "extra" donation, see if he needs help forgetting about a few donors on VFR's (and a gixxer) that got a little out of hand on a twisty road for a charity ride...... :biggrin:

To answer SM31's question, he clocked us at the beginning of a corner....80 in a 55, gave us the ticket for 75 in a 55. He knew who Derek (Randy's nephew) was, but didn't seem to care that we were on a charity ride to raise money for him. I think that ARNIE has all the troopers doing their best to "fill" the budget gap....

[​IMG]

19. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

at least he knocked it down on site...maaaaaaybe you can get it knocked down more in court. long stretch though since it was already knocked down. Maybe the judge has more charity for charity rides for local leos.

That 20mph barrier is a bitch on a record:rolleyes:. Anything over 20mph speeding ticket becomes an insurance liability for some professional drivers. AKA you're toast. Learned that the hardway

20. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    To answer SM31's question, he clocked us at the beginning of a corner....80 in a 55, gave us the ticket for 75 in a 55. He knew who Derek (Randy's nephew) was, but didn't seem to care that we were on a charity ride to raise money for him. I think that ARNIE has all the troopers doing their best to "fill" the budget gap....

Gee, Jason...the CHP that pulled me over last night on my way home(as I was lazily taking a 35 mph corner at 70 mph) let me off with a warning. He asked me what the hurry was. My response was something like,"I won't lie to ya, this is a NICE road."