Cheaper Battery Sorce

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Boomtank2, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Boomtank2

Boomtank2 New Member

United States
  2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    That's one heck of a price, I thought I did good with $65 from Wally World.

Please keep us updated as to how it performs. Those low prices tend to make
    one wonder about the quality. I got 5+ years out of my last Wally World battery.

Could you do me a favor and weigh the battery when it comes in? My Wally World
    battery weighs in at 8.69 lbs., about 8 lbs 11 oz. Just curious what one of those
    would weigh.

TIA

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  3. dbuzz77

dbuzz77 New Member

Canada
    Map
    i have had SLA batteries from them before and they were good, longer lasting than some others i had bought.

4. dhinson66

dhinson66 New Member

United States
    Map
    I just read through a lot of the reviews and some of the 1 and 2 star reviews complain about high shipping costs and deceptive marketing and the battery being the wrong size. Hope you have a good experience.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I gave up on chinese batteries, was dealing with "chrome battery" and maybe their subsidiary "western power sports?" first round of batteries on three bikes (two vfr 750s - One lasted exactly three years, replaced that one and as a gag reflex I replaced the other still good battery with a new one (can't complain with three years) New batteries had some bs little volt meter built into to top of battery, long story short - one battery developed a short and leaked acid (these are AGM batteries btw.) it screwed up my neg cable to boot! What I ended up doing was buying a Yuasa battery where I could actually speak to an engineer (forget about reaching anyone at these cut rate battery businesses - you got a better chance of talking to jesus.) I swapped out the still ok battery from chrome battery to my other bike. Seems to be alright, voltage on the Yuasa is different than those AGM batteries, it likes 12.70 after a float charge or a ride. Those chinese crap batteries are 13.0 right out of the box litterally - I am still running one in my mini ninja 500 - it must be pushing 3 years old, we will see.

I would deal with wallmart or Yuasa in the future, the chinese can go screw themselves, I am rethinking my entire purchasing habits regarding products made in china - F them/period end of story.

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I would stick to Yuasa... note there is a plant in PA which sells the Y series aftermarket (clear case), comes with acid kit and you activate it (at least guaranteed fresh). There is also GS Yuasa with the big plant in Taiwan which sells the GT series (black case) which are more like OEM, and cost a tad more but nowhere near dealer MSRP for OEM. e.g., GT14-B4 for an FJR is $115 from Partzilla.... have not looked up the one for VFR....

ridervfr likes this.
  7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I really don't know what brand of battery I have been getting but I have just gone into the dealership I deal with and ask for a new battery for the bike. They supply me with what I presume is a run of the mill battery. I think I am on my fourth battery over 14 years now and over 222,000 km so I really can[t complain about how they have held up. I think I paid in the neighbourhood of $85,00 for them give or take. But I have read Yuasa many times as being a trusted battery. Maybe I will try that the next time. That is assuming me and my bike will outlast this latest battery change.