Cherohala Skyway Tour

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Joey_Dude, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, saturday I was feeling like I need to get out of the house and I had a rough week. I usually ride with my biker buddy but he had to work. We had been talking about going to Blue Ridge Skyway and I searched this forum for information on that route.

From this forum I found an even better route, Cherohala Skyway, at KC-10's recommendation.You can see the forum thread here:
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/usa-south/12665-blue-ridge-parkway.html

Anyway, I decide to go for a solo trip because I really needed to get away from reality for a little while. I'm going to talk about cops later on so in preparation for squid name-calling here is my picture from the trip:

[​IMG]
    (Self-timers rule!)

As you can see I'm completely covered so that should shut up you flip-flop accusing lot.

If you want to head there too and you're from the south like me I recommend taking Appalachian Highway 515 because it's pretty scenic.

For your convenience here are directions from google: Google Linky Here

However, make sure to watch your speed! I saw several po-pos on that highway, especially in the 55 mph zones. Be a good boy there. At least with the scenery you won't get bored.

Just before you enter the Skyway make sure you have enough gas to last you at least 50 miles because the entire skyway is just road. You're not going to see a Starbucks, McDonalds, or a Wal-Mart there. I didn't even see a vending machine! Although I give Starbucks a year before they set up there ;)

At the North Carolina Entrance to Cherohala Skyway there's a information display illustrating route and various facts/tidbits:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Behind the display is a wide view of the mountains:

[​IMG]

I was feeling artsy-fartsy so I came up with this cool picture of my VFR with the mountains in the background:

[​IMG]

Heading along the skyway I'm pretty impressed at how they have areas on the side for taking pictures, having lunch, hiding from the cops, etc... (I'm kidding about the hiding from cops part)

Here are some pictures from the first one I stopped at:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It even has a perching platform for taking some sweet pictures:

[​IMG]

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures there I just didn't feel like walking over there.

Another stop that has steps leading to a trial:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a view of the road from there:

[​IMG]

Feeling artsy-fartsy again:

[​IMG]

Another stop with some interesting trials and quite a few picnic areas:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I felt artsy-fartsy yet again but I don't know if I like it or not:

[​IMG]

One thing that is really cool about the whole route is they have signs indicating that there is a stop up ahead:

[​IMG]

It might seem trivial but it gets old going on those routes and you can only find stops once you've gone by them and you gotta turn around again.

At the stops they all have displays like below and that satisfies the information junkie within me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to take a leak and even the bathrooms look kinda cool:

[​IMG]

You got to like how they labeled the boys and girls rooms:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the bathroom I only saw one "Call XXX for a great time" message, a first for a public bathroom.

Back to the mountains here's a wide one:

[​IMG]

One with bike:

[​IMG]

I saw this information panel stating a black bear's territory can be as large as 25 acres:

[​IMG]

Cool shot with bike and whole mountain:

[​IMG]

This information panel states according to Indian legend the mountains were formed when THe Great Buzzard gouged out the valleys with his wings. But according to geologists the mountains are the product of geologic uplift, the bending and folding of underlying rock formations, and continued erosion which has occurred over millions of years. I don't know about you but I buy the geologists story:

[​IMG]

Some pictures facing down the mountain:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was even a stop where you can launch a raft or kayak:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Hmmmm, is there a way I can lug my kayak on the VFR?)

The fire danger is at #3 level:
    [​IMG]

And Cherohala Skyway comes to an end. I didn't see any cops at all on the skyway and if I was a cop that would be the last place I'd want to set up a speed trap. Almost the entire route is real narrow with barely any shoulders. Even if I wanted to pull over someone I'd have to follow them for a while until they get to a clear side section. What a hassle.

Also, this skyway has one of the few speed limits that I actually agree on. Most of the skyway has a 45 mph speed limit. With all the curves it has you can still have fun at that speed though I admit most of the time I was going around 50 mph. What a rebel I am, eh?

Maybe it was the time of the year/day but I didn't see any squidly riding at all. Yes, some were speeding but they were in control and within reason. I got to say I was impressed with that because on some routes I always have to watch for some idiot.

That's why I'm not going to the Tail of the Dragon. Too many squids have ruined it. I hope this Cherohala Skyway doesn't get corrupted as well with Gixxers on flip-flops, sure would be a shame.

Plus the bikers are pretty friendly. When I was snapping pictures a guy offered to take a picture of me with my bike. I was able to start a conversation pretty easily just hanging around and snapping pictures. Maybe it's the crowd or time of the day/year but I really like the biker camaraderie.

Even the Harley riders were cool. In my hometown Daytona Beach, Florida the harleys never wave at japanese bikes.

Because the skyway goes from 3,000 feet to 5,000 feet I felt my ears pop several times. Kinda annoying but whatever.

Cool looking bridge in Tennessee with the obligatory fly fisher:

[​IMG]
    (I know the angle is off. I took this one while still on my bike. The shoulder was all grass and couldn't park)

Once I was done with the skyway I had to head back home on TN-66. I was pretty surprised at how it's a fun route with a lot of long sweepers, which are my favorite type of road to run. Best of all, I didn't see any cops so I felt confident to enjoy a little spirited ride. Plus TN-66 is narrow so it would be hard for the po-po to set up a speed trap on the side of the road.

Most of TN-66 is rural with quite a few abandoned buildings:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couldn't help but work in some artsy-fartsy shots again:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got to say riding through TN-66 is like driving back in time because you hardly see any flashy and latest 'n greatest buildings.

Almost reminds me of www.kiddofspeed.com where a biker chick drives through Chernobyl but much safer.

Now here's something that doesn't quite look right. Speed limit signs within 40 feet of each other:

[​IMG]
    Talk about an instant speed trap.

I got to Blue Ridge and did a double take on the sign below:

[​IMG]

Why do they have "Building Permits Required" below the city limit sign? Were too many people building houses with no permit and that was their solution? I can't help but wonder if that really worked. Did someone actually drive to Blue Ridge with plans to build a three story house without the city's permission and then see the sign and say, "Oh shoot I gotta head to city hall now"?

I always think about stuff like that anyway and I guess that's why I need to get away from the overstimulated city life ;)

In summary, the Cherohala Skyway is an awesome route with lots of long sweepers but the routes heading toward there (GA-515 and TN-66) are fun as well. Even if takes you about three to four hours to get there it's well worth the whole day just to ride it!

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Sounds like it was just what you needed. Thanks for sharing the pics. Every once in a while I miss living in the east.

3. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

Great writeup JD.
    My riding group often spends a day running up 515 from the Marietta area, then we head up TN 68 to Tellico Plains and run the skyway from West to East. Then we either head to the dragon (only if it's a weekday), or loop back southwest 74 to 60 back to BlueRidge, then take 60 back Southeast through the mountains. (if you haven't done that road all the way through Suches and then TWO (Two Wheels Only), you've missed a great run. From there we head back through the mountains southbound and end up back in the Cobb County area.

Excellent writeup on the Cherohola though. (I'm with you...keep the squids away) If you're ever looking for another group to ride with in the area, give me a shout.
    By the way. Was your Red Viffer on Windward this past week. I saw a Red bike and couldn't catch the rider. I was in my cage headed to work regretfully.
    Take care,
    GeorgiaRider

4. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Looks like an awesome ride, man! Thanks for posting your experience for us!!
    I found myself slipping away from FAYETTEVILLE just looking at the pics....which BTW were excellent.

What camera are you using?

Oh, and actually, I quite enjoyed the "artsy-fartsy" shots.

Thanks again, that was great work. Way to live the dream (or escape the nightmare, whichever best applies.)

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm, I'd have to say an escape from the nightmare ha ha! Thanks for the kudos. As for my camera it's a FujiFilm FinePix S602Z digital camera. It's pretty sophisticated though and definitely NOT a point-and-shoot camera. You can adjust just about everything you need like the white balance, shutter speed, aperture gap, resolution, etc...

I had to practice quite a few times on the camera before getting the hang of it. What I like to do is use the shutter speed setting and kind of guess what shutter speed I need based on the lighting. Like on noon in a perfect day outside I just have the shutter speed set to 1 millisecond. For that Cherohala Skyway trip I had it between 1.3 and 1.8 milliseconds because it was kind of cloudy and I needed to have the shutter open a little longer so it will let enough light in.

6. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Wow that sounds like a fun route, count me in. Let me know when your next ride is!

Last weekend I was in the marietta so that may have been me? I have seen another red Viffer like mine in my area too so could have been him.

7. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    I am familiar with your camera as well as newer Fujifilm models. I chose the Olympus SP-550UZ over it them, but only b/c of user loyalty to Olympus. I am on the verge of getting a DSLR, probably a Nikon D80. I want to have ability to change to a very low f stop prime lens for indoor shots. But, if I finally get time to go out on an extended ride, I will take the Olympus with me. Like the Fuji, Its ideal for that type of duty.

Again, great shots!

8. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Excellent write up. If anyone still has any doubts, this should get rid of them.

I think the main benefit of the Skyway compared to the Parway is the lack of entrances. On the BRPW, there are about 100 ways on/off over the length. The CS has 3. That keeps the pinheads off. Lots of people like to sight see, but no many want to drive 50 miles to turn right around & go back the way they came. From the BRPW, you can be on an Interstate in less than 5 minutes in a few places.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

9. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I'll be able to make it down that way sometime this summer...

10. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I have to agree, and find the Cherohala Skyway a gorgeous and just restful place to ride. I was there last summer and again this past Monday (4/21). It's quiet, it's easy riding, and the scenery is great. There were a few kneedraggers there Monday but not many. I love that place!

11. maddog

maddog New Member

Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing.

It's been a few years since I last rode the Cherohala, but your pics brought back pleasant memories.

12. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    You may have heard of this site, www.dpreview.com that has a lot of reviews of cameras out there. I hope that'll help with deciding which camera to get. Oh and when you go out for a trip and snap some pictures feel free share your artsy-fartsy pictures! :)

13. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Nice pics Joey! Thanks for sharing!

14. nunyadamnbiz

nunyadamnbiz New Member

Nope that was me I bet, my dad lives up there. I now have the corbin hard saddle bags on there now and love it. Yeah get a hold of my the two of you, I know one more person with a new 08 800 VFR that'll ride too, we should go up to the mountains.

15. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    You must have a hell of a good memory if you can remember where you were over 4 months ago :lol: I don't know if you're aware but we're planning on a ride there August 16th. You can read more about it here: http://vfrworld.com/forums/trips-events/16962-august-16th-trip-cherohala-skyway.html

16. BIGVFRFREAK

BIGVFRFREAK New Member

August 16th ride

Wish I could make it but i have to work that weekend! I've been looking for a group that rides up there. Did the dragon's tail and cherahala last weekend and it was really nice aside from the heat. Let me know if anyone plans on one in october, or in the fall that would be a good time to take that trip again.

Take it easy