cigar afficionados

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by reg71, Apr 7, 2008.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Now, the title should give everyone a heads up that I won't be typing about motorcycles. Now why on a motorcycle forum would I do that? Quite simply because my online time is limited and vfrworld is where I spend it so I try and get as many answers here as I can.

An interesting thing the other day. I decided to try a 'nice' cigar. Now I am a non-smoker. Never have been able to handle cigarettes. Tried them several times, just didn't like them. So here's what was funny, I had an enjoyable experience smoking a cigar.

Remembering the advice from the chat room a couple days ago, I got a cutter, some wooden matches and went into the humidor with the owner of the smoke shop looking for a cigar. I told him I wanted something mild and good quality. He helped me pick out a slightly sweet mild cigar. Forgot the brand, but will try to find out for those of you who know cigars.

I started a fire out in my firepit in the backyard and relaxed and enjoyed a frosty beverage while smoking a stogie. My wife was having a glass of red wine and I noticed the red wine seemed to enhance the flavor of the cigar. Very interesting so I drank a glass of wine with it.

That got me to thinking about brandy. Now, I have never tried brandy but as I am one always on the lookout for another bad habit, I may be trying that one soon, too. As with the cigars, I'll research a little before I do. But, it seems I have heard they enhance the flavor of one another.

Couple questions, KC-10 mentioned a couple decent priced cigars that had some initials but I forgot to write it down so I lost it. With this being a saved thread, it'll stay up and I can reference it to find out what those who enjoy cigars here like. So, questions: #1 What is your favorite cigar? Why? #2 What is a good brandy to try with a cigar?

I would like to further enhance the relaxing experience I had with the cigar and alcohol complementing each other and prefer to draw on the experience of others rather than waste my money on a less than adequate brand of either.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    sitting around a fire smoking a cigar and drinking "wine".....sheez Reg, next thing you are gonna tell us is that you like listening to Kenny G and you shave your legs.... :rofl:

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    hmm, I had to reread who this was from. I was thinkin it was elf for a minute! Now as far as shaving my legs go, you've met me and know how hairy an SOB I am. I did shave before my first triathlon, it was a PIA. Now :topic: what kind of cigar and or brandy do you like? answer the damnquestion!

Oh, and I went back to the humidor and got another, it's called Naturale by Drew Estate Dirt Torpedo. Gotta love the name...[​IMG]

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Wow, that's FUNNY. Now I have to turn off my laptop & let it dry out after shooting water out my nose from laughing...

For the original questioned asked by Reg, here are some recommendations. CAO is my favorite brand with Perdomo being a close second. CAO's strength is consistent quality & excellent pricing. The entire Gurka brand is excellent as well. No matter what anyone tells you, Cubans are good but there are plenty of great non-Cuban cigars to not worry about it.

Great quality cigars:
    Mild:
    Davidoff Millenium Blend (PRICEY but excellent)
    CAO Gold
    Rocky Patel Connecticut

Medium:
    CAO Black & Black VR (one is a natural & one a Maduro)
    Partagas Spanish Rosado
    Gurka Centurion
    La Aurora Preferidos (the oldest continually operating cigar brand in the Dominican Republic)
    Olivia Series V
    Arturo Fuente Hemingway Series

Med-Full:
    CAO MX2 (my current favorite)
    Gurka Black Puro

Full:
    CAO Italia (fan-freaking-tastic)
    Perdomo Habano (the maduro will knock your socks off if you aren't a regular cigar smoker)
    Partagas Black
    Gurka Super Fuerte

When I first started smoking cigars (an interesting story by itself), I bought lots of samplers, that way, I only had a few if I didn't like that brand.
    Go here, this is also where I get the majority of my smokes:
    http://www.cigarsinternational.com/mcatDisp.asp?cat=6

I would also just go to a good Tabaconist & just chit-chat. You'll get lots of recomendations that way. Red wine is indeed a great companion to a great smoke. I also have been know to have a shot of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel around when I smoke. A good German beer is not an uncommon sight near me either. For a good brandy of cognac, I don't know, I would say anything that's VSOP.

One thing I can't stress enough, unless you already smoke in your residence, DO NOT smoke a cigar inside. It will take WEEKS to get the smell out. I always smoke outside or in a bar/establishment where it is allowed. Just like motorcycling, your behaviour with a cigar will influence how people think of you. No one bats an eye about a guy smoking a Marlboro but they will think you're the anti-christ if they see you with a Montecristo or Cohiba.

Just off the top of my head, I would estimate the value of my two humidors with cigars to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $900-$1000.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Sorry Reg...but you just left yourself wide open and I couldn't resist.

Regretfully, I don't know my head from my ass when it comes to brandy or cigars. Seems to me that KC already gave you the 411 though.

BTW....the dirt torpedo looks like a...awwww...forget it.... :lol:

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'd never leave myself wide open anywhere near you, you perv...

yeah, they all look like that but they are too high to flush!

7. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Almost all brandies made by Germain Robin are very good. The "standard" stuff is about $25 a bottle, and is much better than most brandy. The Shareholders Reserve or Old Havana is frikkin' wonderful, but is about $80 - $90 a bottle.

Cognacs, which are essentially brandy with the grapes grown in the Cognac region of France, are a real mixed bag, and are usually overpriced for what they are. The one that is my current favorite is Kelt XO, priced at about $175 a bottle.

If you are new to brandy, the best bet might be the $25 dollar Germain Robin. It is an excellent brandy, compared to most garden variety types. Or you could find a local pub with a decent selection and try what they gave before you commit to a bottle, but anymore, even that is expensive.

Scotch also goes well with cigars. It took me about three years (I am serious) to acquire a taste for the stuff. I'll add more info at your request.

Kinda funny; I'm smoking a CAO MX2 as I type this, KC-10 's current favorite. With regard to cigars, the link KC gave you is a good source for a lot of decent cigars, and you can buy a 5 pack to try, or the sampler combos. For a new smoker, I would recommend two that are on his list and a third;

1. CAO Gold
    2. Arturo Fuente Hemmingway, "classic" or "signature" size. Avoid the "short story"; little cigar, too much money.
    3. 5 Vegas Classic ; excellent cigar, particularly for the money.

You have noticed, I am sure, that the sizes of cigars have a lot of names. I would say stick to a corona or a robusto. Churchills are a big cigar, and the nicotine can sneak up on you.

Oh, one more thing; beer is not a bad choice, either. The problem with hard liquor is that the combination of alcohol and nicotine can REALLY make you feel awful until you figure out your personal consumption limitations.

And the common way to refer to a crummy cigar is "dog turd".

I listed the brandy/cognac prices just for reference... a bottle lasts me a long time, like 6 months to a year. The Germain Robin label is a favorite of mine because the price/flavor is really tough to beat.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  8. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Next thing you know he will have the above garage converted to a smoking room and will walk around all day in a smoking jacket calling Teri - Holly.......

9. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Yes, CAO is a fine brand. I find PADRON to be my all time favorite. I believe it was Buddha's favorite back in the day.

10. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
  11. BJ Sim

BJ Sim New Member

This and the Beer thread are great threads. It allows us to connect on a deeper level than just our motorcycles. And now I've got some great suggestions for cigars the next time I'm in the mood.

I'm a casual cigar smoker (3 to 6 times a year) and can't give any input into what are good or bad (mostly because I never seem to remember brand names). But I've found a good wine or beer really does enhance the enjoyment.

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    So I did some checking and found the Germain-Robin webiste and e-mailed them for more info. I also found where I can get it so I may be picking up some CAO smokes and Germain-Robin here pretty soon. I'll report my findings as always.

:peace:

13. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I smoked a new cigar today, a Perdomo Lot23 & it was accompanied by a shot or 3 of Jack Daniels Single Barrel on the rocks. Very good smoke, notes of wood & nuts, not too harsh, good draw & no aftertaste. One of the signs of a good cigar is no aftertaste. If you feel like you licked an ashtray 3 hours later, switch smokes.

For the real aficianado's, I am aging 20 cigars until I retire. There are 10 CAO MX2's & 10 CAO Italia's. The 20 have been in their own humidor for 17 months. I am elligable to retire at 20 years, which is 4 years from now. I am planning on doing 24 years which will make the smokes over 9 years old when I pull chocks & pins.

KC-10 FE out...

14. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the notes and the link. Just started smoking last year and still figuring my way through. There's a great local shop but buying that way ends up being very expensive, I've been meaning to look online. Thanks!

15. jonboymd

jonboymd New Member

I would definently reccoment the Davidoff Millenium. One of my favorites. Every Padron I have smoked has been great, especially the 1926 series and the 1964 series (but both are pricy). The CAO gold is good too.
    As far as alcohol goes, I am a scotch man. Glenlivett goes with anything.

16. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Any recommendations on small humidors (~50 count)? Or is any small one just as good as the next?

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

This one should be just fine.

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/defaul...2ast5q2kd55&uid=77&CategoryID=87&page=product

In fact, an generic humidor will work as long as you season it before you add your smokes to it. I use the solution only, no distilled water. Supposedly, the solution prevents mold.

I have this one as well as a generic 75 stick capacity one that I'm using to age my 20 retirement cigars.

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/defaul...ast5q2kd55&uid=924&CategoryID=88&page=product

KC-10 FE out...

18. Lomig

Lomig New Member

For me, so far nothing's been better than a Hoyo epi 2... but. In Canada we get Cuban cigars :p

19. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

One of the best Cuban cigars I ever smoked was a Bolivar torpedo. I don't remember the exact one.

KC-10 FE out...

20. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    One of my favorite sources for cigars is Bennington Tobacco in Florida. Jack Bennington is the owner, and is a good guy who knows his stuff. His website does not show all that he has, and you do need to order via telephone. The reason I like Jack so much is that he will keep track of what you buy, and recommend cigars that might suit your taste. He listens to your feedback, good and bad, and keeps track of that too.

He has recommended four or five different ones to me, and there was only one I didn't care for. His prices are competitive with most of the internet sites.

http://www.benningtons.com/

The phone number is (800) 237-5074. Thompson's, as pointed out by KC-10, has decent prices on humidors, particularly if you get one of their "specials" that includes cigars. Their premium cigars are expensive, compared to other sites, but their humidors are right in the ballpark.

The one other place that does a good job, not listed above, is Cigars-For-Less/Big Humidor.

http://cigars-for-less.com/index.cfm

Good selection, good prices.

PS My favorites used to be the Cuban Montecristos, circa 1990 or so. They aren't as good anymore...