'clanking' 08 VFR gearbox

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Harbournet, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Harbournet

Harbournet New Member

Map
    I've got an almost new 08 VFR with 1800 kms on the odo. My question is this - is 'clanking' normal whilst changing gears? This being my 1st motorbike ever I'm not too familiar with dogboxes....but mine seems....and i say 'seems' to clank a bit....not on every shift, but most of them. (I realise that it is normal to clank when changing from neutral to 1st gear). Is this normal or something I should be worried about? Should i wait till my 6000km service for Honda tech to adjust it?

Thanks.

2. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    Has the bike had it's initial break in service? On US bikes it's around 600 miles. If it's still got the original oil in it I would change it right away.

3. Harbournet

Harbournet New Member

Map
    Ya - it had 770kms on odo when i bought it - I told them i wanted the 1st service done before i picked it up - which they claimed they carried out for me. Is it possible that they skipped this?? Is this a normal thing that is normally fixed/adjusted after the 1000kms break in service?

4. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    Well it is possible but there's no way to prove it. Most gear boxes are a little stiff (ie clunky) when they are new. Usually after a fresh oil change this can be reduced somewhat. I have always found that once you've put on at least 3000mi a change to 100% synthetic motorcycle oil can really make a difference. I've owned 3 new Honda's and they've all exibited similar behavior. In each case with additional mileage and regular maintenance they've all improved considerably.

5. vfrjon

vfrjon New Member

I have an 08 as well. Does it do it all the time? It is common to occur between 1st and 2nd gears and is usually more apparent at certain RPM's.

99.5% of the time it is nothing to worry about.

6. monk69

monk69 New Member

I'm going to go with the assumption that it's not the bike,but you.....If I'm wrong it won't hurt to learn how to shift this way,for the betterment of your bikes future....Since you said you are new at riding a bike in the first place......
    Let's start with something easier.... You are in 3rd gear going for 4th.....before you shift pressurize the clutch and shifter at the same time (which means pull the clutch in to where you feel tension, but haven't actually disengadged.....at the same time you are trying to lift the shifter with your toe without actually shifting yet)....once you have these two items pressurized.... then do a follow though with both....without using a hand full of clutch (just a short brief pull)....and you are in 4th....

Now to go from 4th to 3rd.......It's got all the same moves....except you need to give it a little throttle first.....Don't try to do a down "speed shift" till you get this part perfected ..... once you learn this they all side in without a sound.........I had two BMW's that are known for clunking....even they are quite shifting properly........Monk

P.S. I went though the same thing when I started riding ........Back in 1965...LOL

7. Harbournet

Harbournet New Member

Map
    Monk - i tend to agree with you somewhat here - from what i hear about VFR's being bullet proof and all. On my next ride I will practice that method of shifting and hopefully report back with a positive outcome - Great tip :) I think it's a combo of both being a new bike and new rider, we will both improve with age.....at least I hope my skills do.

8. monk69

monk69 New Member

Good on ya mate....Enjoy your bike....Monk

9. monk69

monk69 New Member

Yo........How'd your shifting go today?............Monk

10. Harbournet

Harbournet New Member

Map
    Going on a nice ride tomorrow morning with 2 mates - quick swing in the Blue Mountains - so i'll let u know how my shifting practice goes then my friend :)

11. monk69

monk69 New Member

That route 40 looks like a good one.... Have a nice ride.

12. Harbournet

Harbournet New Member

Map
    The place is 'Leura, NSW' look it up in google maps ^^ high in the mountains, lots of cool air and twisty roads!

13. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    I think my VF500F was the smoothest shifting bike I've ever ridden, seconded by my Radian. My current FZ1 is pretty clunky, but it's perfectly normal and doesn't bother me, just translates into sure feeling of gear selection.

14. Harbournet

Harbournet New Member

Map
    After a real nice run in the mountains today - I can confirm it was my shifting technique at fault, not the bike.....feels smoother all the time now....bike is just fantastic. We swapped bikes a couple of times....rode a 08 R1 and an 09 Kwaka Versys...then i got back on my VFR and felt the smoothness!....nice machine indeed!

15. monk69

monk69 New Member

Glad to hear, you and the bike are running smooth. I went riding yesterday, and worked on trying to put the "down" shifting into words.....What I came up with is.......Pretty much the same as up shifting, except I bring the rpm up about 500 rpm +, from what ever it's on...(using the clutch and thottle) Till it "slides in"(smooth as sex).........Monk