Clock & Trip meter resets

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by raybkk, Jan 1, 2003.

1. raybkk

raybkk New Member

Hi,

I am a new member and the owner of a Honda VFR 2001
    Since the past 2 weeks or so I noticed that the Clock keeps resetting to AM 1.00 after not having used the bike for a day or 2.
    Does anyone have a problem with this too? Might it be the internal back-up batterie?

Would be thankfull for some help.

Thanks

Ray

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Clock restart is a symptom of a weak or low main battery. Could also be a degraded voltage condition caused by cold nights if the bike is in an unheated garage. In either case get ready to buy a new one; make sure to trickly charge it for top performance.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I noticed the same thing yesterday after being on the bike for the first time since the new year started. I could swear the time was right when I first fired her up but noticed after gassing up the time read 1 AM...??? As I always reset the trip meter I thought I might have hit a combo of buttons or something......but now, know thats not the case..I didn't reset it yet but am really curious now what will happen if I do....we'll see tonight.

4. raybkk

raybkk New Member

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your replies regarding my little problem. You guys where right. It is indeed the battery. I have found the temporary sollution for this. Instead of buying a new battery i start with the clutch engaged. This causes less friction to start up. Allthough this is only a temporary sollution it stopped resetting the clock and the trip meter.

Cheers,

Ray

5. HispanicSlammer

HispanicSlammer New Member

United States
    Map
    That could be indicating a charging system failure, have the Regulator Rectifier tested along with the stator, Batteries do go bad however a bad RR can ruin a battery too.

6. raybkk

raybkk New Member

Hello,

Went to the dealer and had everything checked. All was ok, except the low battery, but due to my driving habit the battery discharges more than it charges. Why?
    I am using my bike mostly in Bangkok with lots of traffic jams. My bike isn’t equipped with a light switch so my lights are working fulltime. This causes to drain the battery slowly.

Cheers,

Ray

7. Bagwell

Bagwell New Member

United States
    I have had a problem with my 95, and I found a R/R problem and also replaced the battery at the same time as the R/R. I had a problem with my clock resetting to 1am and not showing anything when the key is off before the replacement and I still have the same problem with the clock.
    Any ideas?
    Bagwell

8. Bagwell

Bagwell New Member

United States
    I have been monitoring things for a little while, and my clock only rarely resets to 1am now.  it has gone multiple weeks without resetting.  I have yet to go looking thru the electrical tho
    Bagwell

8/04
    I just replaced the rear bucket of the gage cluster on my 95, and found a corroded connection, so maybe thats what was causing my problem. We will see.
    Bagwell