Close Call Today!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Doug7200, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Doug7200

Doug7200 New Member

United States
    Map
    I went for a nice ride on Angeles Crest Highway early today - La Canada to Wrightwood and back.

I do this ride often, but always leave early to avoid idiots. Today, it did not work.

On the way home, heading down from ACH on Upper Big Tugunga to Angeles Forest Highway I see one the idiots in my lane!

I come around a nice sweeper and here's a motorcycle passing another group of riders on a blind turn. The rider is entirely in my lane about 150-200 feet from me. I brake and move as far as I can to the right and he passes me still in my lane. Luckily I ride the inside line. If this happened 5-10 seconds earlier, I would not have seen him until we were much closer. Or if I was wide...who knows?

Dumb people!

Riding a 2000 and Allyance like this.
  2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    WAY TOO MAny 'cycle disasters on THAT road ! :eek: even eastcoasters know.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Glad you came out unscathed. Coincidence that this happened up in the AF. I recall going on a ride up ACH with a few newbies and one of the first things I told them before we began, was to stay on the inside line on Right hand corners and the outside line on Left hand corners. No less than a few miles into the ride, a car coming the opposite way came about 10 feet over the line in a corner. As a good ride leader, I lead by example and took the outside line on that turn and was spared any head on collision! When we got to Newcomb’s Ranch the guys behind me all saw the whole thing and were so glad they followed my line. They didn’t need any other convincing about how to take corners after that.

4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Too many squid up there at times.
    I like the early ride time too.
    Came across a wreck on Big TJ today, which I posted separately.
    Ride safe.

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Rode that road many times, met up with friends or new ones at 8am at the Shell station at the bottom of the hill. Had two accidents myself, first was pure stupidity on my part, second was an oil slick down the middle of the road. Even had a kid pass me right before Newcombs Ranch then get killed in the next corner (thankfully out of my view). My youngest son took the rear bumper off aTaurus with his right leg, that turned left in front of him near Wrightwood. He is OK, made the Berkley water ski team a couple of years later. Well acquainted with all of it, yet still rode it for years. Nothing like it in upstate NY, lived there too for many years.