Clouds

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by SCraig, Jan 14, 2009.

1. SCraig

SCraig New Member

The older I get the more I hate winter in Tennessee. The cold and damp really get to me after a while. Occasionally, though, we get some beautiful skies and this evening was one of those times. There is a serious cold front moving through tonight (high today: 50, high tomorrow: 22) and the clouds as the sun was going down were gorgeous.

(all 3 images are thumbnails. Click the thumbnail to view a larger photo)

All three were shot hand-held with a Nikon D60, 5manual mode with a 5mm lens and a C-PL filter. The first one was at 1/200 second at f7.1 and the other two at 1/160 second at f6.3

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Very nice. Thanks.

3. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    It just never ceases to amaze me just how much beauty there is in nature. Thanks for yet another reminder.

4. Comicus

Comicus New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow that makes me feel like I suck for being inside all day...

5. tanrush

tanrush New Member

Winter in Tennessee

Scott,
    Just think about how great the weather and the riding is going to be by March. We will be mowing the grass again and everything will be in full bloom. Not to rain on others parades but at least we can still ride on those 40 degree days when others have 40 below and snow. Now that is cold. We don't have to winterize our motorcycles because we still get to ride them often enough. Your pictures are great, I hope to get to ride with you this year and take a few pictures of my own. Recently, we bought a 2nd VFR for the wife. She likes it so far but quite a difference from the Nighthawk S.
    Keep the faith, spring is coming soon my friend
    Tom

6. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Very nice,thankyou,butt thank you.SCraig,nice photos of your winter sky.Do you get out to ride in the weather there?been riding in our little 'springlike'weather break here.We've getting nice sunsets here too.Hoping for snow(buisness thing)but nice weather is coming from the west coast,it moves east,your photos rock 'bro.summers nuthin w/out winter

7. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like the photos.

I know, spring follows winter and summer follows spring. When it's hot I'll be whining about how much I hate summer around here ;)

Summer skies around here are never like that because of the haze. Only in the winter do we get vivid blue skies like it was yesterday. I live on top of a hill and get a good view of the sunset. I noticed the clouds on the way home from work and thought it was going to be a good one so I grabbed my camera and wasn't disappointed.

I do ride year round, and Tom you are right in that it won't be long before we are back in some decent weather. Right now it's cold, and probably going to stay below my threshold of pain for a few days. I feel for the guys who have to put their bikes up for the winter because we can get out and ride on occasion. Hopefully more days like yesterday are on the way soon!

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Just be patient, We've only got a couple more months until our bikes are covered in sticky yellow pollen.

Regards,
    Rollin

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Scraig, Thanks for sharing those pictures are nice. How you like the Nikkon D60?

10. realnew

realnew New Member

-13 here and snow

11. FearIsGood

FearIsGood New Member

9F degrees and snow. Broke 40 deg maybe once in the past two months but it's always raining in Ohio.

:hangme:

12. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I like it very well. I've only had it a couple of weeks though. I've got a couple of "Advanced" digital cameras and a couple of 35mm SLR's but this is my first digital SLR.

There are a couple of things I dislike about it, primarily the "Can't Do That" things, but they are outweighed by the things that it does do very well. All of the presets have some of the settings fixed so they can't be changed. It's tough to remember which settings can and can't be changed in each preset so I tend to stick with manual, shutter priority, or aperture priority which lets me change pretty much whatever I want.

The image stabilization with the VR lenses is great. I didn't realize how good until today. I had to take some pictures of some concrete cracks and rather than take the cheesy little office camera I took my D60. It was 18 degrees, windy, and I was freezing. My hands were shaking and through the viewfinder the whole image was jiggling. I remember saying, "This is never gonna work!" but as soon as I pushed the shutter release halfway down and the electronics engaged everything was rock solid.

The "Raw" image format is proprietary Nikon so not all software can read it. File format is JPEG or RAW (NEF) but there are some resolution and size options. I'd like to have an uncompressed standard format such as TIF but it's not there.

All in all I like it real well and at this point I'd get it again.