clutch master cylinder boot

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Skot_2003_VFR800, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Skot_2003_VFR800

Skot_2003_VFR800 New Member

United States
    Map
    I was noticing my boot the clutch pin goes into has a tear in it. I took to clutch lever off and cleaned the connections because the lever is becoming squeaky. Turns out, it's because the boot has a tear in it. I pulled the pin out, very clean and still had silicone on it, regreased it and tried to slide it back in, but the squeak is still there.

How critical is this boot? Seems out of the way enough to not get too much dirt in there.

How easy is it to change?

2. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    Made some edits. Having the same squeak on the '02 and also lubricating the push rod end + clutch pivot pin didn't help. I'm not sure if it's the boot or a seal that's dry and squeaky.

I'd keep the boot as it keeps dirt away from the seals which keeps them from wearing down and leaking. To remove the boot, you simply remove the clutch lever and pull the boot/push rod out (no need to remove the snap ring). Per the shop manual, the inside of the boot should be lubricated with silicone brake grease along with both tips of the push rod. Then the boot/push rod can be reinstalled. Should take 10 minutes. You can purchase a new boot from a local motorcycle shop or buy on-line (though shipping will be greater than the cost of the part).

Will give this a shot tomorrow morning to see if it resolves the squeak.

3. Skot_2003_VFR800

Skot_2003_VFR800 New Member

United States
    Map
    I ended up disconnecting the master cylinder by removing the two bolts that hold it to the handlebars to get a better angle at the pushrod and boot. I just pushed the rod in (as much as I could) and pulled the boot out and over the rod rod as much as possible. It does not fit over snug and all, but the squeak is gone and the boot does not mash into the master anymore. Will see how that works until I got to replace the boot.

4. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    Without removing the boot, I tried to lubricate it inside and also lubricated the two ends of the push rod. Still have the squeak. Think your technique of removing the boot was correct.