Cold cylinder, Fueling issue?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Steve Smith, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

United States
    Newbie here.

I recently purchased a 2000 VFR and when I got it home I noticed the number 1 cylinder exhaust was not as hot as the others, its much colder at idle and low speeds. The bike pulls really well over 4k rpm's and higher but does seem to be a little sluggish when pulling out and it has a bit of a rough idle. I checked the plug & plug wire on that cylinder and all seems ok, I am thinking a fuel issue. The bike sat for a while and my current guess is a partially clogged injector? My first questions is, do I really have to pull the throttle bodies to get the injectors out? Any other thoughts based on the symptoms would be greatly appreciated?
    22,000 miles

Thx
    Steve

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Riding a 2000 likes this.
  2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Yes, throttle bodies need to come off and appart to remove injectors.
    You can try some injector cleaner in the fuel first.

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Tank, airbox then throttle bodies. The rail the injectors sit on unbolt from underneath so the bodies have to come off. It a pita but not hard to do. Good luck

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith New Member

United States
    Thanks for the responses. I was actually able to get this fixed without removing the TB's. Through some troubleshooting on the injector that I suspected was bad I was able to free it up and it is now working. I accomplished this by unhooking the injector connector and using the 9v battery method to test it, this apparently broke the injector loose and the cylinder is now firing. I'm guessing I will need to tear this down at some point to clean it correctly but for now I'm good. Thx everyone.

Riding a 2000 likes this.