Cold temperature riding

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by MechTech, Nov 4, 2018.

1. MechTech

MechTech New Member

United States
    Took my '92 out for a spin in Boise last evening. Temp was cool in the 40's F. A warm engine and cool intake air sure makes a good combo. The bike accelerates very quickly into the redline. Hot tires and cold air would be a terrific combination. Absolute blast!

Blackslide likes this.
  2. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Wish I could ride! Temperature has been aroud tolerable digits for a while now...

Riding on the storm

3. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Cold air is denser, almost like adding a turbocharger.

OOTV likes this.
  4. gcvt

gcvt New Member

United States
    Map
    Reminds me to buy heated grips for my project bike...and maybe a new heated vest.

5. upwinger

upwinger New Member

United States
    Map
    Absolutely get the heated vest! I love love love mine! Its like having the heater from your car installed!

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    riding below 40F. i tape over the oil cooler to boost low engine temps.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I rode to San Diego from Anaheim yesterday (~100 miles one way). I started at 6:00Am and it read 34F on the dashboard, stayed in the mid to upper 30's (maxed at 37F) for the first 75-80 miles, then got up to 44F by the time I got to SD. I wore my textile gear with jacket/pant liners installed in the gear and long underwear, thick warm socks and a wind stopper upper layer. Other than my feet and hands getting a little cold by the time I got to SD, I was pretty comfortable. As for my feet, I had on my TCX X-Square Water Proof boots and for gloves a new set of Dainese X-Travel Gore-tex leather/textile gloves and they did good but having the heated grips made the difference for me. Had the Oxford grips set to 80% and they work great when traveling at speed but got a little hot when going slow splitting lanes, almost too hot to keep my hands on the bars!

I do have a set of heated gear (jacket, pants and glove liners) but find that I sometimes over heat when wearing it so I usually only wear it if I'm going to be riding in the cold for long periods of time (greater than a few hours). For the most part my non-active gear works just fine for me, I just have to wear the right combo of layers and outer wear.

duccmann likes this.