Cold weather riding advice

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by ryebread5if, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ryebread5if

ryebread5if New Member

United States
    Map
    These questions pertain to a bike's performance and mechanical functionality, not rider-comfort. I just want to know if there is something I should know about the inner workings of my bike.

1. Is there a cold outside temp threshold in which a VFR (let's say a 5th Gen) should not be ridden?

2. Is tire traction an issue when the outside temp falls below a certain level? Do you change the tire pressure for very cold temps?

3. Should I ride in lower gears longer to keep the engine temp at a good level?

4. Should I allow the engine to warm up a little before riding off?

5. And out of curiosity, what's the coldest temp in which you've ridden?

Any other cold weather riding advice is most appreciated!

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You don't need the oil cooler 4 sure !!

Yes, you should allow a bit longer for a fast-idle warmup and ride easy until you see some indication of water temperature on the gauge.

Riding at temps at or below about 40, you'll need to cover the oil cooler (sometimes 1/2 the radiator too when below 30) with tape/cardboard to get the engine up to a temperature where it works best.

Expect far less tire traction.:cool:

Lowest i ever rode was at 18 degrees 7 miles to work and paid for it with a bad cold for 4 days !! I'm sure other riders have ridden far lower temps, but the cold weather saps your strength (both physical and psychological) and makes for unsafe riding.

3. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    1. Not really if it will run.

2. Don not race in cold weather. Yes tires will stay cold or take longer to warm up.

3. Keep the revs down until warm.

4. Yes.

5. 11 degrees F

Final advice layer. Be like a good scout and be prepared. Bad things happen when you are not prepared. Nothing happens when you are prepared for it. And whoever Murphy is, he is an optimist.

4. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Above advice is quite sound. I would add that in very cold weather, you must get a really serious pair of gloves - at a certain point, thick bulky motorcycle winter gloves are going to be safer than thinner, more responsive gloves because with the latter your hands will start to numb in a few minutes. And I'm talking 30 or 40 degrees.

I would also add, purely in my own appraisal of motorcycle safety, that riding when the windchill is sub-freezing is simply not safe and I recommend never doing it unless there is snow on the ground and you're running spiked tires.

5. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

If you are intending to ride in truly cold weather, I submit that heated grips are a must. - Heavy gloves don't give the level of feel that lighter gloves will.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've ridden in the 20s to 80s in the same day. Difficult to dress for. Layers crucial. With cold weather riding, the extra layers mean less feel for controls and such. Allow more time for stopping due to traction and blunted reflexes. Frequent stops to warmup are good idea. With cold weather riding, the most dangerous thing to me is time. If you go past a certain point, you kind of get numb both physically and mentally, and that is scary.

7. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I try not to ride when the temp is below 40 degrees, that's my own personal comfort zone. When it's 38-40 degrees (with a 70 degree day promised by the afternoon) I'll head out in the AM, but with extra layers, for sure.

Like others have mentioned, bulking up to stay warm makes it more difficult to use the bike in the manner it was designed. Plus, when the temperature is 37 degrees or less, there are possibilities of ice on the road where you are not expecting it and your bike's tires were not designed with that temperature range in mind. It's a lowside waiting to happen.

The lowest temp I've ridden in was 25 degrees when I stayed too late at a friend's house and had to ride home. Frosty!

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I ride year round. Been caught in the snow a couple times. That was not nice and definately not recommended. I have arrived home from an hour ride from work with a shield of ice on my chest and almost to the point that I couldn't wipe the ice of my shield any more.

Your bike will handle all of your concerns just fine. When I fired mine up at 03:00 to go to work, it ran probably only for a minute while I fiddled with something then off I went, to the freeway. Now I have over 100K miles without any concerns at all.

Besided the obvious things like ice, the biggest concern is staying reasonably warm yourself. Warmth = comfort = some safety. Heated grips are a consideration. I don't have them. I useTechnik weather resistant winter gloves. Yes they are bulky but you get used to them quite fast.

I did "NOTHING" to my bike specifically for winter riding. As is is as good as it needs to be. Check your tire pressure as that is surely going to change. Same oil year round. Follow same oil change rate and you are good to go.

9. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    I've ridden in teen and single digit weather and one thing that somtimes happens is gasket leakage, especially aroung the valve covers. When heated the metal expands quickly but the gaskets, especially older ones, do not which can lead to some seepage of oil.

10. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I always though Murphy was woman?

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    ah HAH. I new it. That explains a lot!

12. silverbullet132

silverbullet132 New Member

Covering up the oil cooler and rad as mentioned is not needed. I have ridden at about -20c on my old vf750s, with no issues. So far on my VFR it seems to run at about 75-80c in lower temps. Just let it warm up to about 45-50c before you get going to make sure the oil is nice and warm :)

13. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map

And whoever Murphy is, she is an optimist.

Better?

14. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I used to go out 12 months out of the year in NJ and did anywhere between 10,000 to 12,000 there! now living in paradise, south FL, i do half of that if I am lucky.

I used to wear a two-piece larger than normal Aerostich suit with an electric vest and gloves under it. I had a one piece Hien Gericke thermal suit with fake fur on the arse and front of the shins, along with a balaclava with a real wool sweater along with a wool pair of socks and poly-propolene dive socks on (with extra large boots) I could ride in any kind of weather. If the roads where black top, I went out. Had the condensation in my visor freeze on me only once :smile:

Getting one of those fog-city shields for your skid lid visor would be a nice thing too. Good luck btw, I only hit ice once and the bike was re-buildable...

15. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

My rule of thumb is if the engine temp wont stay above 170F, then I start blocking off the oil cooler and right rad. I get horrible mileage if I just keep riding on the highway with low coolant temps. In town doesn't seem to affect it as much since my highway mileage super exceeds my in town mileage.

Other than that, it's more about keeping yourself warm. I've ridden in all weathers. My bike will be fine, but when I'm putting some miles down in the cold it's more about my comfort and mentality.

16. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

Good point!
    I once rode in 30 degree weather with 40 degree gear.
    After about an hour and a half, I knew where I was, but I wasn't sure how I got there.
    Hypothermia can sneak up on you quick.

17. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Sport Rider magazine has special edition on the new stands right now "Riding Tips." They do cover winter riding, may be worth checking out or see if they put any of the articles on their website. Something else to think about are handlebar muffs or mitts, typically found on snowmobiles & atvs. I've seen these on Goldwings and such as well. They take a lot of the wind blast that will allow you to wear a more conventional glove. Giving you more dexterity with the controls over bulky winter gloves. No you won't win any style awards with these. Can be found at just about any motorcycle parts retailer motosport.com, motorcycle superstore, dennis kirk etc.

3089165697_6aeb1ba7eb.jpg

18. bikeman

bikeman New Member

Map
    on the plus side of winter riding, when I pick up a sixer on the way home from work, it stays cold

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Since the OP's question was about the bike, could be that he already knows how to keep his tushy warm..

Reminds me of the time I was in that Eskimo MC...up near where Santa hangs out.

20. ryebread5if

ryebread5if New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you for all the helpful advice. And I know I didn't ask about gear but I'm glad some of you gave ideas and examples of what kind you use.

Actually I'd like to know more about good winter gear:

1. What's a good set of heated grips cost?
    (I saw some set from BikeMaster for about $50. Are they decent?)

2. Would the heated grips really keep the tops of my hands warm?
    (Seems like they'd only warm my palms.)

3. Is it hard to put your hands in and out of those handlebar mitts?
    (I'd be afraid that while riding I'd have to pull my hand out then not be able to easily put it back in while the mitt flops in wind.)

4. Do any of you have winter pants you wear that are long enough to cover your ankles when your feet are on the pegs?
    (I have some winter pants that expose my ankles when my feet are up; I have put tall thermal socks on but it seems like more fussing when I arrive at the office than if I just had nice long pants, maybe with snaps or stirrups at the bottom.)