Color match for '04 Italian Red?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Joe Nardy, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Joe Nardy

Joe Nardy New Member

Map
    Has anyone found a suitable match for the R-157 Italian Red, possibly in an auto touch-up color. I have a couple nicks I'd like to touch up but don't want to pay Color-Rite's ridiculous prices. The paint pen ($15.95) and small jar with brush ($20.95) aren't too unreasonable but $10.95 shipping is just stealing. Considering auto touch up paint can be found for $6.95 just about everywhere that would be a nice alternative.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Joe

2. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

I bought mine from my local Honda dealer. $8.74 plus tax.
    I think they had to order it, but I think it only took a couple of days to get it.

3. Joe Nardy

Joe Nardy New Member

Map
    The dealer...what a concept! That never even crossed my mind, I though tthe dealer would be even pricier than Color Rite. I'll check with the local dealer soon.

Thanks,
    Joe

4. Joe Nardy

Joe Nardy New Member

Map
    I stopped at my local dealer today. They said they get their paint from Color Rite and add cost onto Color Rite's price. Was the paint you got from the dealer Honda brand or Color Rite brand? Would you be willing to pick another bottle from your dealer and send it to me? I would send payment in advance.

Thanks,
    Joe

5. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

We can make something happen.
    PM Sent.

6. rockrichards

rockrichards New Member

I'm in Oak Park and have the pen ... For my 04 red bike
    I could drop it off on my way home from work one day if you would like?

7. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

For what it is worth, I went to Autozone and got GM "bright red" to touch up my Italian Red 04 and it was not perfect, but pretty damn close. I had to use touch up after I dropped it on both the right and left side >_<

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**If you notice hazing, this was taken right after a hasty paste wax job and I am afraid I missed some spots.

-Drew

8. Joe Nardy

Joe Nardy New Member

Map
    PM sent back. Thanks for the part number. I'm going to try another local dealer. If that doesn't work out I may bother you again. Thanks for the help so far.

Awesome offer! Let me see how things work out with a different dealer. If it doesn't work out I may take you up on your offer.

Great bit of info. I obviously have a few options now. Thanks to all you guys for stepping up!

Joe

9. VietHorse

VietHorse New Member

Folks, btw, I 'd like to decorate my '07 VFR Dark Red with some sorts of decals or painting.
    Personnaly, the single color bike looks boring, so I want it to be more lively, macho...
    The RWB version of VFR looks cool, but I dont want to color my bike like that.
    Should you have any ideas or samples, please help...
    Thanks alot...

10. Joe Nardy

Joe Nardy New Member

Map
    Okay, I stopped at a different local dealer and gave them the part number Charlesw provided. They had to order it but the cost was $9.42 including tax. I'm hopeful I will get the right paint and will post here when it arrives. Thanks again for all the help!

Joe

11. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    I got the honda touchup R-157 Italian red for my 99. I was very pleased. I even used it to repair a 1 inch by 2 inch scuff. I smoothed the area, added touch up filler, sanded it. Brushed on several coats of touch up. Sanded with 1000 grit and buffed it. Unless your looking for it, you wont notice the ever so slight color difference. I imagine the color is perfect, but my bike is 12 years old and spends alot of time outside.

12. Joe Nardy

Joe Nardy New Member

Map
    Thanks for the info. I have a couple very small chips and one larger spot, probably 1.5 inch by .5 inch. My bike has always been garage kept so hopefully the paint will be very close to the touch-up color. Joe

13. Joe Nardy

Joe Nardy New Member

Map
    SUCCESS! With help from everyone who offered info, especially Charlie, I was able to provide my dealer with a part number for the paint. Even they couldn't screw it up at that point and I have my touch-up paint!

Thanks again everyone,
    Joe

14. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Bump, I hate to bring back a dead thread... but does anyone know if GM "bright red" that noobtastic recommended is any good? I need to repair a whole fairing, it doesn't need to be perfect, cheap is better to be honest. probably take 2 cans easy so I know the genuine stuff will run me nearly $50 where as the GM bright red would probably only be like $16

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If what you are looking for is for your 1991 VFR and repairing the whole fairing is in the works, repaint the whole thing including the tank. The original red on the 91 has faded.

Not a clue as to the GM color or the cost. For a repaint with repairs even if it's a DIY project and you have the skillset, materials are going to be a lot more than 50 pesos.

16. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    I was just referring to the paint being not $50 lol. I already have all the sand paper, bondo, spot putty, etc.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Having painted a couple of bikes in my time, materials and paint are one in the same when it comes time to shell out the pesos. When it comes to red paints of any type or manufacture including poster and finger paint. Red is bitch. Your red bike OEM paint has faded.

You'll be a hero at the paint supply, of that I am certain..

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If it looks like Heinz Ketchup, the paint hasn't faded. If it looks like Campbell's tomato Soup. you need a whole new paint job. Black will fade as well but not nearly as bad as Red. I had a B=black Jimmy years ago that I declined the clear coat option. Had a mishap and had to get the fender painted. The rest of the truck looked brown in comparison to the new black paint. Ended up painting the whole thing on my dime a couple years later.

Sad thing is I gave that Jimmy to my son. It was in excellent shape when I gave it to him. That didn't last. Kids these days.

19. Badbilly

United States
    Scientific studies indicate there are significant differences in hue and chroma between Heinz Ketchup and Campbell's tomato soup made in Canada and the same made in the USA.

20. Suraj

Suraj New Member

United States
    I went to home depot with a cardboard and tried on all the shades of bright red they had at different places on the cardboard. Also noted which color was from what can with name/color code and brand.

Sprayed a couple of layers to make sure I was getting accurate color. I then let this sit for a day and compared it to my bike's red. It sucks that I have the R258 and could not find this specific color easily around where I live.

After finding the closest color I bought a can, did 3 layers as instructed and also sanded with 2 different grits of sand paper. After a couple of weeks sprayed clear coat on this paint. No one can tell the difference in color now unless you want to nitpick and are standing a feet away from the bike. All the work done for less than 10$, not counting the time I invested.